TV channels very strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found the problem, i have a bad coax cable. I wiggled the wire and i got clear TV and some of those channels i was missing (the connections are tight). I have no idea how a coax cable goes bad, in my opinion it should not, but ill get some more at Wally World and replace it.

Yeah, failures like that are largely mechanical, either trauma induced (flexing, twisting, bending) or just crappy manufacturing. I keep a couple spare jumpers in the RV and they've come in handy when I needed just that extra few feet to reach a park cable feed. Years ago when I remodeled the S&B I ran a thousand feet or so of new RG-6 through the place and bought the nice crimp F connectors and tool to go with it, so I fab whatever cables I need on the spot. Along that line I also carry a couple cat5e ethernet cables and an old wifi router in the RV, never know when you're going to need to connect to a system somewhere or whip up a quick network.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Unlike the older analog TVs where the picture gradually degrades as the signal becomes weaker, digital TV either works or it doesn't. There isn't much difference in signal strength between one that delivers a perfect picture and when the TV can't even access the signal. That's why things like moving a few feet or having small differences in antennas or signal routing in the RV can make a huge difference in marginal signal areas.
In my location the signal will be either perfect or snow. But some channels the signal goes from perfect to a lot of blocks of the signal moving around on the screen then the picture disappears.

Attachments

• Degraded signal.jpg
    Degraded signal.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
In my location the signal will be either perfect or snow. But some channels the signal goes from perfect to a lot of blocks of the signal moving around on the screen then the picture disappears.
Your video shows digital TV, right at the border of where it can almost work. It's really showing it as video off and on but very quickly.

-Don- Everglades, FL

Im thinking it could have been a rodent that chewed on the wire too... I did find a dead mouse in one of my storage bays a while back. I will see when i pull it out and replace it.

Well Lou I have to apologize to you are correct about only two conditions. Off or on. However with my 4k tv when the signal is weak it will not provide enough of a signal and the tv can't process the info fast enough because a lot of the information is missing. So it is or it isn't a third state depending upon how you view it.

Tom, are you describing a pixelated screen, where there may be some portions that are good and some portions that are pixels, and sometimes some blank parts of the screen? If so, I'd equate that with Lou's on and off, but switching on and off so rapidly from signal fluctuations (multipath and other things) that it appears to be a 3rd mode, but is (technically speaking) some of each of the two very rapidly blended but retained in the display memory.

If that's not what you see, then disregard my comments, and I don't know what you're seeing -- digital can be strange.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbo1502001!
Back
Top Bottom