TV mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bingberg

Has anyone installed a ceiling mount for your TV?  Is doing so ill-advised in an RV?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Beth Ingberg

I would discourage it.... Why?? Most RV ceilings are made with 1/16" to 1/8" thick luan plywood with "mouse fur" over them and some type of foam insulation behind that. There is nothing there that can safely support  a TV hung from the ceiling, even the new, much less heavy flat screen ones, and especially with the movement that is bound to occur while driving down the road. Even using wall mounts is not recommended, (a similar construction is often used in many cases), unless the manufacturer has designated a particular reinforced area for you to do that. (Some do on their most recent models, but perhaps only when the TV was not installed originally by them!!)

Apart from that, I would find the viewing angle very hard on the neck, especially on my 5th wheel's 10'+ high ceilings!!

Thanks for the feedback alfa.  I pretty much expected to hear that.  We will go back to the drawing board with our plans.

-Beth Ingberg

Well... I think it CAN be done, within reason. The problem with RV ceilings (besides what has been said already), is that the inner skin is melamine. That stuff is pretty slick. However, if you sanded that thin coating off and exposed the wooden ply of the luan, then you could glue a piece of plywood to it. I would suggest 3/4" baltic birch (that's the premium 6-9 plys (all the same thickness) stuff that they use in marine applications. If you predrilled the mounting bolts from the back, and then recessed the hex heads, those bolts wouldn't go anywhere. I wouldn't mount a 50+" plasma on it - but it could probably handle one of the newer LEDs, no problem. The trick is getting a nice bond, wood to wood. My college professor told me that a well prepped and tight joint glued with wood glue is stronger than the natural fiber to fiber bond in the wood itself. If you spread the load out - say with at least a 12" X 12" I think you could easily hang a 30 lb TV. I would probably test drive it with a suspended weight before I hung a several hundred dollar TV on it. Just my $.02

Mylo

The problem with RV ceilings (besides what has been said already), is that the inner skin is melamine.

Hmmm... maybe in yours, not in mine.... When the ceiling gets wet from a leak or over-cleaning the mouse fur turns brown from the luan in many cases. If there was a melamine like product next to the mouse fur, or backing the plywood, the stain would not happen.

My thought is Yes, it could be done easily IF you could get behind it the ceiling Luan and find some good attachment points, by all means. But without taking down the ceiling itself, or removing the "mouse fur" I don't think is can be done. JMHO

Your Prof is correct in saying CERTAIN wood glues are stronger, and I have seen and often used these resin glues on boats. The wood would split and come apart long before the glued joint itself.  However, access, preparation, clamping etc. are the secret and not always practical nor possible. I'll bet that using that kind of glue on luan plywood would see the plywood shred the plies instantly when stressed.

Even using wall mounts is not recommended, (a similar construction is often used in many cases), unless the manufacturer has designated a particular reinforced area for you to do that. (Some do on their most recent models, but perhaps only when the TV was not installed originally by them!!)

Our Winnebago has aluminum framing in the walls, and their service dept. provided me with a drawing so that I could accurately locate two horizontal members in the area where I wanted to attach a wall mount. Measure, re-measure, and repeat and it worked out fine. I used number 12 sheet metal screws and the mount is as solid as a rock. Also, our 32" flat screen is just a hair over 12 pounds, so the mount is way more than adequate.

Bill

My Coachmen has aluminum framing in the ceiling.  It is visible if I remove a roof vent interior plastic frame.  Even if your RV does not have aluminum, you can be sure it has relatively heavy wooden framing at the vents.  If you happen to have a couple of vents near where you want to mount the TV, you might be able to attach heavy framing/plywood spanning the space between the two vents and attaching securely with screws to the vent frames.  Then hang your TV from that.  Just brain storming...

Thanks to all who responded.  We are flying down to Houston next Saturday to pick up our first RV.  It is a Newmar Dutch Star.  We will then see how and if it would be feasible for us to attach to ceiling.  I appreciate all the input.

-Beth Ingberg

We will then see how and if it would be feasible for us to attach to ceiling.

I can't imagine why you would want to do this in the first place. If you are sitting somewhere, the TV will be so high that your head will be looking up at it and it will lead to a sore neck. My first MH had the TV way up at the ceiling over the front seats and we HATED it. My first modification was to move the TV and convert the former space into storage. I would recommend looking closely for a different setup.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom