TV recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanczak

If we want to get a flat screen TV that we can connect a laptop to and watch movies while traveling, what do we need to get. I am confused about the 12 volt and a normal TV. Would it be correct to assume the 12 volt will run while the motor is on. We have an older class c

stanczak said:
If we want to get a flat screen TV that we can connect a laptop to and watch movies while traveling, what do we need to get. I am confused about the 12 volt and a normal TV. Would it be correct to assume the 12 volt will run while the motor is on. We have an older class c
How are you going to be viewing movies? From the DVD in the laptop or downloading online? If downloading online you can forget that. Bandwidth limitations prohibit that. A 12 volt TV is powered by 12 volts and a normal TV is powered by 110 volts. If you will always be using your TV when hooked up to shore power, or if you have an inverter then a normal TV is best. If you only boondock and you have no inverter then you will need a 12 volt. The 12 volt will run while the motor is on. You should have two 12 volt systems, one for the engine and one for the house.

I just bought one of these. Haven't installed it in the MH yet, but have taken it out and hooked it up to test it. Works pretty good, but the speakers aren't the best. My other lcd wasn't any better. I purchased a 20" a couple years ago, didn't have a digital turner, so I had to get a box. I moved this one to the bedroom so movies could be watched by the grand kids traveling. I have it in the house now and watch it when the DW is watching her stuff that I don't wanta watch. It will serve our purpose fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350589187557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Stanczak...

Unless it's broken or disconnected via a klll/disconnect switch, I'm quite sure the 12-Volt system in your coach is hot (working) as you're travelling down the road, so a 12-Volt TV, plugged into a cigarette lighter, for example, should work just fine as you're driving down the road.

Your TV will need to have an input jack that corresponds to the output jack of a laptop or stand-alone DVD player - most commonly RCA or HDMI jacks. Most modern flat-screen TVs have HDMI, VGA, S-video, Composite and RCA input jacks. Older flat-screens may not have an HDMI input. Most modern laptops have HDMI and VGA jacks to output to a flat-screen TV, but many older laptops only have a VGA jack - no HDMI. Few, if any, modern laptops have RCA jacks. RCA jacks are most commonly found on stand-alone DVD players (the little round red, yellow and white jacks). So, as you can see, it really depends on the age of your equipment and how it's equipped.

I'm sure I don't have to mention this but for the sake of safety I will... Please ensure that the driver can't watch the TV while on the road. I've actually seen this happen. It's not only illegal, it's VERY unsafe.

Kev

2 questions.
1 why not just use the laptop screen?

2 you could grab a little 300watt inverter and plug that into the cig lighter and run a normal flat screen could you not? we don't watch much TV and when travelling we like to see the country side and even the kids like to look out the windows :) so have never tried the movie thing while driving.
You would want to test the above before heading out on the road our sound system makes a lot of noise when the engine is running.

You can also connect an external monitor to most laptops if you want a physically larger screen to view. A monitor is cheaper than a tv for any given size - no tv tuner or antenna signal processor inside.

Being around this crowd there is only one Golden Rule when looking at TVs:

Big, Bigger, Biggest!

Back
Top Bottom