Two Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Dial

We are buying a new Grand Design Solitude, the dealer wants to sell us a spray on protector package both exterior and interior. cost is about $1,500. has anyone used this type and is it worth it?
Second Anderson jack stands, with the magnetic clips. that go on the hydraulic leveling jacks. are they worth it at $260.00?

Don't know about the Anderson's, but the protectant is a rip off

I skipped the protection on my Solitude and the Anderson jack stands $260.00 is retail. Wouldn't hurt to ask to throw them in for free. If you are looking at slide toppers ask to throw them in for free.  I got 5 slide toppers and sale tax and $2K off the Solitude.

What floor plan you are looking at?

The Andersen jack blocks sell for $50 on Amazon, so I'd pass on that.  The $260 is the typical retail store price, so available at local stores as well.

The "protection package" is essentially a couple spray cans of Scotch Guard on the inside and a fancy wax job on the exterior. They will promise something like 5 years of "protection", but typically the "protection" is just that they will re-apply it if needed. It probably doesn't  repair or replace anything that may have been damaged despite the protection.  Besides, the exterior of your new rig should still be nice looking in 5 years even if you only wash it once in awhile.

You can probably get a professional detailer to do a quality wax job and interior spray for $200-$400, depending on where you live and local pricing.

There are a lot of threads scattered about RV forums (Other than this one strangly enough) about "Removal of Diamond Shield"

And having seen the photos attached... I can understand why.

The BEST protection for the finish is a good old fashion Simonize Wax Job . but those are a whole lot of work, and I mean a WHOLE lot of work (Used to do them on the one and only new car I ever owned)

There are other automotive waxes that are a good comprise between hard work and effectiveness. Turtle Wax ICE.. And one I can not always spell "McGuiers or someting like that (Someone please correct me)

I do 'em spring and fall. next time is the week BEFORE Easter (or the week before that).

John From Detroit said:
There are other automotive waxes that are a good comprise between hard work and effectiveness. Turtle Wax ICE.. And one I can not always spell "McGuiers or someting like that (Someone please correct me)

The spelling is Meguiar's you were very close. I had to look it up my self.

The protection package is an easy way for the dealer to increase their profit on the unit by about $1450.  It is very important TO THEM that you buy this.

The Andersen blocks are GROSSLY overpriced.  Andersen establishes a minimum advertised price for their products.  Thus, all Amazon listings are for the same price of $89.98.  The dealer may sell it for less, but can not advertise it for less.  When I bought my Andersen Ultimate FW hitch, independent of the camper purchase, it was $50 LESS than the advertised price.

Pass on both!!!

John From Detroit said:
There are a lot of threads scattered about RV forums (Other than this one strangly enough) about "Removal of Diamond Shield"

And having seen the photos attached... I can understand why.

The BEST protection for the finish is a good old fashion Simonize Wax Job . but those are a whole lot of work, and I mean a WHOLE lot of work (Used to do them on the one and only new car I ever owned)

I do 'em spring and fall. next time is the week BEFORE Easter (or the week before that).

I'll respectfully disagree on the wax comment.  There are tons of synthetic sealants out there that wipe on and wipe off easily, and will last for months longer than a traditional carnuba wax.  Even with carnuba, if you're having to work to take it off, you're using too much and wasting product. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom