Ultimate Advantage Slide out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Master Mind

I am in the process of replacing the carpet in my 2001 Ultimate Advantage 40 J. Has anyone used laminate wood flooring ? The slide out is elevated about 2 inches off the main floor level. The raised area of the slide out is hidden by the front panel of the jackknife sofa. My question is regarding how much of the carpet on the main floor goes under the slide and how do I remove it  ( if necessary ) so that I can butt the hardwood up to it without interfering with the movement in and out of the slide out ? I will as soon as I can post a picture of the issue and maybe my problem and question will make more sense. Thanks for any advice on this.

I put engineered hardwood (thin layer of hardwood laminated to thin layers of plywood)  in the living area of my Ultimate freedom. I used this as I wanted it to be the same thickness as the ceramic tile. The only issue that I had was the couch hanging over the edge of the slide and rubbing the floor. Mine is a 2002 with one slide in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both rooms I added hardwood. In the living room I made sure it was past the teflon sliders.

Thanks for the reply. Did you just cut the carpet at the edge of the slide and leave what was remaining under it there ? Also the teflon rollers you mentioned, where exactly are they located ? I assumed I would probably need to put some sort of protective layer of something on the hardwood whenever I would roll the slide in and out .

The existing carpet and pad is a slight bit higher than the ceramic tile. The engineered wood I am using is the height of the tile. When the slide is extended you can see impressions in the carpet from it. I don't know if it would drag and scratch the wood flooring was my reason for some sort of protection. If the front panel of the sofa would be an issue rubbing across the floor could you just shim the base of the sofa to raise the overall height ?

The carpet was cut out by the original owner but was cut just under the slide. The teflon I am speaking of may be there to protect the floor. The pads are smooth and Glide across the top of the hickory I put in. I put nothing else down to protect the floor. You can feel the pads under the front edge of the slide. I had one teflon pad that had caught a piece of tile and would have scratch had I not cleaned it. Yes I just shimmed the couch up with a thick washer and all was well. I hope you have the same luck. Others have said that the slide would scratch the wood but that hasn't been the case for me. I've slid it probably 20 times with no problems.

Thanks judd777. It sounds kind of like a trial and error procedure. Back to the drawing board ! LoL

Back
Top Bottom