uninvited winter guests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamest

I'm looking for advice on how to keep mice out of our Cedar Creek 34  RSL. I have it in the driveway. We had 3 motorhomes before the fifth wheel and have had some invasions over the past. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have two cats and I have never had a problem with mice.

I would agree with the cat solution we have several cats that roam the area and not a mouse or rat in the area. We also have some REALLY fast squirels and one rabbit. You could try one of the ultra sonic devices the only problem with those is the critters do seem to get use to them after awhile. There are some that have adjustments to the sounds it makes of course they cost more money. They would be cheaper in the long run than feeding a four legged pest trap.

We have d-Con distributed behind the sofa, cabinet drawers etc.  Never had a problem.

We did have a problem with a mouse that built a nest on top of the gas tank in our car, a few years ago.  It took many trips to the dealer and lots of $$$ to resolve.  It had chewed a vacuum hose which caused problems.  Fortunately, State Farm covered the costs. 

My past experience says seal all the possible places of entry. Leave no food products in the RV, and I have heard that there are ultrasonoc devices you can plug in and I have also heard that mothballs scattered about deters the mice. The last two RV's I never had a mouse problem simply because they were better sealed with virtually no entry point. One trailer we had the mice entered where the power cord entered and from there they chewed there way to the interior and into the heater duct system which left a very sickening smell.

I believe I would try a combination of solutions.

We went with mothballs many years ago and have never had a problem.  We place the mothballs in plastic dishes so they do not melt onto the carpet, etc.  They do work and are quite cheap.  We have used them in our garage over the winter and they work in a bigger area like that also.  The odor clears in a very short time in the spring.

We use dryer sheets in all cabinets and on the chairs and couch and bed. Apparently the mice don't like the smell. I also make sure vents are either taped over or I put a fine screen over to protect from invasion. I know we have mice because I get them in my shed but have not had a problem so far with mice in the 5er.

Bob

Seal all openings around plumbing and such with 00 steel wool or brass Chore Boy scrub pads. I like the brass scrub pads as they will not rust.
Underneath the unit you can use 1/4 inch hardware cloth to seal entry points.

The ultrasonic devices work for only a short period of time if at all. If you decide to use poison baits just remember to keep it out of reach of children and pets.

I don't like traps at all. That fact you baiting a animal into the structure to kill it is just promoting for more to follow the first one. It best to find the entry point and seal it off and make the evironment unplessant to the animal(s) so it not apt to return back looking for shelter and food.

I've got a gent over on another forum been chasing a mouse issue for a while now and come to find out most of the plumbing where its passes through the floor and to the sewer tanks or LP lines is where they will come in. Not to mention if the wheel well is damaged they will enter where they can. It not always about the the fact there is food in the RV lot of animals will enter solely to get out of the blowing cold snow and store there own food (seeds, etc.)

Worse than the stench they leave from just being there is the stench they leave when they die there, especially the poisons that get them searching for water and they eat into  plumbing for water. You are best to try to deter them.

gwcowgill said:
Worse than the stench they leave from just being there is the stench they leave when they die there, especially the poisons that get them searching for water and they eat into  plumbing for water. You are best to try to deter them.

+1 been there, done that...

Wanna make some money...develop a mouse trap that lure mice to a box that seals permanently, becomes their coffin, and is air tight!

threeful said:
Wanna make some money...develop a mouse trap that lure mice to a box that seals permanently, becomes their coffin, and is air tight!

Good Idea! But it would have to be throw away... Just the idea of cleaning traps and reseting is nasty.... Ewwww...

My TT is permanently parked in the woods of Michigan.  Lots of field mice and other rodents.  During the shutdown for the Winter, I remove all food stuff from the TT.  I also check for any openings at all that a critter can get into.  Seal them up if you find any.  Even a quarter size hole is big enough for a mouse.  I tried the ultrasonic devices and they didn't work so good.  I think the critters just got accustom to the sound and ignored it after a while. 3 plastic plates (not the foam type) with moth balls in the living area and some D-Con in the storage compartments.  Tried and field tested with 100% efficiency for over 10 years.  Never had another problem with uninvited Winter guests.

As stated, remove all food items and paper items (that could be used for rodent bedding) and then make and install the "Ultimate Mouse Trap":

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=24083

It's amazingly effective and you'll never go back to anything else after using this innovative homemade device.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fysher
Back
Top Bottom