Use of Jack Stands, Etc., in lieu of Only the Levelers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hugh37

Each of us is without question concerned with being as safe as possible whenever underneath our motorhomes, while changing oil, lubing, etc.  I'd appreciate hearing what you do-it-yourselfers use to insure your safety.  No doubt jack stands are employed, along with leaving the leveling jacks down, raising the coach to the height needed.  Could I get feedback as to the specific minimum ton rating of the jack stands?  I'm thinking a quality pair of 12-ton jack stands is ample for my coach's weight: 12,000 lbs. front and 20,000 lbs. rear.  While on this subject, I understand that the front wheels should be left "hanging" during the lubrication of them.  Many thanks for your responses. Hugh

You absolutely don't want to rely on the leveling jacks.  The 12 ton jacks should be fine, use them both on one axle at a time.

With respect Ned...........
I have a 33 foot Pace Arrow that I can crawl under without putting the jacks down.  I can throw a quilt under it and crawl under everything except the front axle and the heat shield beside the muffler.  With this in mind I simply run the jacks up and change the oil and filter without a problem.  Mind you,,,, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE BECAUSE THERE IS A DANGER FACTOR. 
I do not raise the tires off the pavement and I have the step closed  when I do this.  Again
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BUT I DO IT TO CHANGE OIL AND FILTER ALL THE TIME.  I have even jacked the coach up with the leveling jacks to let a guy change the tire on the coach.  (he didnt bring a big enough jack) (his idea)

God bless all who serve this great nation ......cj

We have lost one forum member when his coach fell on him while working underneath it.

On my 04 Brave I can grease and change oil without raising it at all. Just put a large pc of cardboard on the drive to slide around on.  BTW I would not get under it while on the jacks unless I had jack stands also.

I'm guess I'm a gambler like Seajay. I will slip under to drain oil or change a filter while on the coach hydraulic jacks.  There is room enough under the back end for me if it were down flat anyway, but not enough room to work. I don't do any mechanical work, though. I draw the line where there is any risk that I might slip and trigger a sudden loss of hydraulic pressure. Actually, the bigger risk is probably that somebody in the coach will accidentally hit the"Retract" button. My jack control panel has an Off switch, so I shut it off to reduce that risk.

I worry more about changing the oil in the car while using my portable hydraulic floor jack. Now that is easily dropped and is no where near as "industrial grade" a system as the coach has.

I'm not advocating one way or the other - just saying what I do.  I'm a firm believer in understanding and evaluating risks on a case by case basis rather than "always' and"never" kinds of rules. But I wouldn't claim I've never been wrong either...

My theory is that if I can't reach where I want to work, I use my wooden ramps that I used to level the earlier coach with, and raise one side on them. Block the wheels and do the job. I would not  rely on the levelers, but I have a pair of 5000# jack stands that I would use. I also carry a 12 ton air/hydraulic jack. Life is much too short to live dangerously. Eddie Elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom