Using a printer in a RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curiosity

Looking for recommendations on what type of printer to get for my RV.  Laser or Ink Jet. I was also thinking of getting one of those All in One printer so I can scan and store receipt and stuff.

It depends on how much printing you will do. If you do a lot of printing a laser is nice but the up front costs are more. The all in one is a good choice. I scan and email a lot of documents back and forth with businesses. I also opted for a wireless printer so the DW and  I can share it, but it does require having a network set up in your RV. 

Depends on what you're doing and how you're set up.
Do you have high print demand?
Do you have a Jet Pack or Router for wireless?
Do you need color?

Just get Cannon printer/scanner/copier from Walmart. They are cheap. You can connect to it with WIFI or USB. Works great, I have one. Mine is a Cannon MG2900

It is hard to say without knowing your RV setup, if you can power it I would say a small color laser combo printer/scanner.    Something like a Samsung Xpress SL-C480FW color laser it prints, scans copies, has wifi including direct wifi printing from many phones, tablets, etc. and is under $250 on Amazon

It also depends on how much space you have.  We have an older small Canon that's not much larger than a carton of cigarettes.  It only prints, but that's all we need so it's fine.  It fits perfectly in a pull-out sliding drawer in our computer desk.

ArdraF

SargeW said:
It depends on how much printing you will do. If you do a lot of printing a laser is nice but the up front costs are more. The all in one is a good choice. I scan and email a lot of documents back and forth with businesses. I also opted for a wireless printer so the DW and  I can share it, but it does require having a network set up in your RV.

If you use a MiFi/Jetpack it  will act as the router and you won't have to set up a home network. I set up several printers for friends that way.

True laser printers use waaaaay more power, to heat the fuser element / roller. So if you're on inverter or something, you'd want an inkjet. Laser printers also put out a small amount of ozone, which usually isn't a big deal, but if you print 100 pages inside an RV you'll be able to smell it easily. Two things to consider :)

Ink jet is my recommendation.. Now for the reason.

I've seen service calls to Laser printers where the diagnosis was "Bad 120vac"  turns out they had it plugged in via a short extension cord and the voltage loss was too much for it, and this was a top end premium brand as well. (Industrial strength printer)

Many RV parks have issues with the 120vac

Ink Jets are far far more forgiving and often have regulated power bricks that add to that forgivness.. My current printer is a Canon, which replaced another Canon, which replaced an HP...

The reason for replacing the HP was the original Canon (Which by the way wore out) had a feature I needed the HP did not at that time..  The Canon also lacks some features of the HP I found nice, but not essential.  (The feature it had is essential)

I think HP's today, at least some of 'em, have that feature (Print on an INk-Jet printable CD)

Epson.. Well the only Epson I ever had was a C-82.. IT was 82% crap

Laser. I haven't owned an ink jet printer in years, and I'll never buy another one.

Ink that leaks or dries up? No thanks.

SkateBoard said:
Just get Cannon printer/scanner/copier from Walmart. They are cheap. You can connect to it with WIFI or USB. Works great, I have one. Mine is a Cannon MG2900

Ditto this.  We've got the same one, and paid (I think) about $30 for the printer.  The ink cartridges cost more than the printer.  But, it does light duty well, and it's small, so it doesn't take up a lot of space.  We use it for scanning and copying as well as printing.  If it bites the dust, we haven't lost a lot.

Cannon printer is what we use all the time for six months on the road,

Why not get whatever type you use at home? I.E. what you are familiar with?

All-in-ones are convenient, and ink jet technology is mature and high quality, so there is no particular reason to choose laser unless that's what you prefer. Ink jets are lighter, smaller and lower power, all pluses for use in an RV.

HP is turning out some very decent, cheap, all-in-one inkjet printers that don't take up a lot of space, have wireless and wired  LAN connections, and put out a decent document, or photo.

Of course they make their real money off the ink cartridges.

If you will be doing a lot of printing, a small laser might be more suitable. Then the price goes up fast. If you just need a monochrome for a lot of document printing you can still get a decent price, and a small footprint.

We just bought a new HP at Costco for about the price of an ink cartridge for the old printer.  Ink cartridge is pretty small but it serves us and our limited needs quite well. 

Looking for recommendations on what type of printer to get for my RV.  Laser or Ink Jet. I was also thinking of getting one of those All in One printer so I can scan and store receipt and stuff.

Are you asking specifically for your RV due to you boondock and go thru an inverter and concerned with wattage/amperage usage or maybe that your inverter is not true sine wave ? Or are you at a campsite using shore power and worried about loss of voltage like many campgrounds ( 120 AC down to 98 AC  volts or so ) and concerned

I use a little Epson Expression XP330 "all in one" (print, copy, scan) printer - it prints color and is small as well as wireless (which makes for easy setup).  We can print directly from our phones and iPad.  I do very little printing any more - but like having the capability available.  I do however use it regularly for it's scanning capability.  Best of all - it is direct cheap! 

The one I've currently got has been in the coach for a little more than a year and is starting to show some degradation in print quality (either because it's running out of ink - or because the ink cartridges are old and getting a little gummed up).  With the printer selling for just $39.99 - I'll simply replace it when it stops printing.  No question it's wasteful .. but with replacement ink cartridges selling for roughly $40 a set - it's cheaper to toss the whole printer and replace it. 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/477972/Expression_Home_XP-330_Small-in-One_Printer

Spacenorman, you can take that old printer when you replace it to Staples they recycle it for free or did a couple of years ago

HP 200 Officejet. Color inkjet - black + color cartridge. Wired, WiFi Direct, or Bluetooth direct, wireless & can be used on a network.
Battery powered (internal) or 115V - low power.

Small, easily stored, low to med. size print jobs. Can be had for under $200.

dcb in VT

Back
Top Bottom