Using CB in a motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We used to have one in the old tow vehicle. The wife would get on it and play trivia games. She got a lot of feedback and willing participants. The trivia was a conversation starter. Great way to pass the miles/time.

ArdraF said:
But, you have to know someone's phone number for it to work and you don't with the CB.  If you're driving near someone and see a problem you would like to tell them about, how will you do it with a cell phone?  You won't.

These days, it seems everyone keeps to themselves anyway for fear of being axe murdered. I've tried to flag people down to warn them about flat tires or smoke from a diff etc. and most people speed away like I'm the problem. :(

thesameguy said:
These days, it seems everyone keeps to themselves anyway for fear of being axe murdered. I've tried to flag people down to warn them about flat tires or smoke from a diff etc. and most people speed away like I'm the problem. :(

I know what you mean: Recently I tried to let another driver know he was driving with his foot on the brake - both him and his wife acted like I was a weirdo. Maybe he'll figure it out when his brakes are prematurely worn out - I doubt.

Timmy_B said:
We purchased our MH in May and have already taken a 5000 mile trip with it.  Putting a CB in it was just for peace of mind.  We are not always in an area where cellular service is guaranteed and this gives me one extra way to reach someone in an emergency.  I bought a cheap radio ($40) and a no-ground-plane antenna (~$65) and did the install myself.  Had to buy an SWR tuner for about $20 and figure out how to mount the antenna without destroying my side wall, but it all turned out pretty good.  Like mentioned above, it's on but only in the background with squelch turned up high.  I almost never hear anyone but it's there if I need it.

My previous rig had it mounted to the ladder.

One other thing to consider before buying a CB is to research GMRS Radio?s. They use the FM frequency instead of the AM frequency. The antenna is much smaller (About 13?) but it has a much longer range. We use these in our Jeep off road clubs when we are out 4 wheeling. They are much better than the CB radio. Just something to think about before spending the money.

GMRS is good if you?re hanging out with a group of friends who are also licensed. Traveling by yourself, not so much.

Steelers1407 said:
One other thing to consider before buying a CB is to research GMRS Radio?s. They use the FM frequency instead of the AM frequency. The antenna is much smaller (About 13?) but it has a much longer range. We use these in our Jeep off road clubs when we are out 4 wheeling. They are much better than the CB radio. Just something to think about before spending the money.
GMRS requires a license, and is not very widespread, thus minimizing its usefulness. There ARE good uses for it, but not as a CB replacement.

We've had a CB in almost every vehicle we have for decades.  They are good for a few miles at most but between vehicles they are fine.  In the last decade with cell phones they have kinda gone silent.  The navigation apps and GPS units keep us on the right route and show us the weather better than ever.  Nonetheless there's a certain cache to having the means to talk to others, even strangers while driving.  In that vein, the range limits and the other technologies motivated us to get a HAM radio license... at least at the Technician Level.  We're just getting started but it opens up a whole new venue...  these radios and related technology are really interesting and offer many new opportunities for communications with others.  On the 2M bands for instance there's a frequency for making contact and then moving to a different frequency for a conversation.  Plus, there are repeater stations available that allow a low power radio to contact others many miles away.  If you need urgent help in an area without cell phones, these systems are great... comparable to sat phones in many ways. 

Anyway, it's another option worth consideration.  Maybe with the new ubiquitous satellite internet system that Elon Musk is building or the 5G system for cell phones the need to have a CB or GMRS or other "radios" will go away?  OTOH, sometimes it's nice to take a break from all this stuff and just drive. 

Otr truckers are a clan. They help each other out and sort of have this brotherhood
If you will. The CB is their way of communicating while doing their job. Cell phones dont work this way at all. Dw and
I were park hosts in wy.this summer.
I put a cb in the truck. And listened mostly.
Generally I found the drivers courteous and
Helpful. Only when I was near larger urban areas (Detroit Chicago, toledo) did I find the
Banter to be a bit r rated. I will attribute this
To a local crowd of miscreants and not to the otr truckers. If I needed road info
Or route info I could usually ask and receive
  Yes there were long stretches of crickets.
But the squelch is there for a reason..
I think I will keep one in my new to me motorhome.. :)

I too had a CB for years and it has it advantages, even today.
couple weeks ago we were traveling to deer camp in a caravan and used short wave radios to communicate. it was quicker then dialing the phone. Push a button and talk.

Back in the day, the wife would play trivia games when there was no radio traffic. All of a sudden the line came alive. truckers were bored and didn't mind guessing Oppy's dogs name? We also would find out which choke and puke had the best food, etc.
One time while traveling to a 50 mile backpack trip with the boy scouts I had the cb on and we got a bear report. I explained the lingo, mostly, to one of the mom's traveling with me. We passed the mile marker and she was disappointed she didn't see the bear. I pointed out the cop with its cherries on and told her that was the bear. She was even more disappointed, embarrassed, but disappointed, she really wanted to see a bear. I assured her there was that possibility while backpacking, then she got worried. lol

I keep two CB's mostly because I found the 2nd one long after I bought the first (I thought it was lost)

The Good Sam's channel is 13.. that radio the antenna is a stubby mag mount mounted on the slide out rail track in the basement (can you say SHORT RANGE ONLY).  The good one (High end Cobra) the antenna is mounted on the "A" pillar and is a NGP antenna.  it's on 19

Now in the old days 80/90s I used a small earpiece so the rough language did not bother my wife.. (that was the lost radio on 19) but now days.. Well wife is deceased..  I've gone years with "nothing of interest" but of late.. Well last year I had a few incidents where the radio helped me get around it.... And I recall one year where there were two fatal accidents close together in front of me. also an exit ramp.. I took the exit, enjoyed a nice relaxed night.  the poor guy behind me an hours long traffic jam.  Road was clear in the AM could not even see where the fatal crashes were.

Not the first time the radio has saved the day either.

Back
Top Bottom