Using extension cord for receptacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume the vacuum uses a wall wart to charge it. I'd likely cut the cord & splice in a length. That way the added wire is low voltage & likely protected from shorts by the wall wart.

How about plugging in a power strip with a 3’ cord in the outlet and mount it someplace near the front of the washer and dryer
I would need a 5 or 6 foot long cord to be able to easily plug in the Dyson.

My grandfather was a pretty handy guy but one thing he was not was an electrician...but that did not stop him from improvising. About 15 years ago he went into an assisted living facility and when we were cleaning out his house we moved a small table in the hall and found that he had run an extension cord up from the basement through the floor to plug in the lamp on the table. He had cut the male end off so he could drill the smallest hole possible in the floor and then spliced it and plugged it in to a ceiling receptacle in the basement. 40+ years I had visited that house and never knew, LOL!

No, adding length to a dc cord is not a good solution. Loss/heat exponentially higher with dc.
Looking up "Dyson Vacuum Charger" returns numerous wall warts that put out around 25 Volts at .75 Amps. Adding 10 feet of lampcord is not going to break the bank. BTW loss is the same for AC or DC.

Last edited:
I opened the basement wall to look around and I might be able to run romex to the recept.
I could cut in a box where I want the Dyson plug and run the wire inside the wall down to the plumbing access. The hard part will be me fitting into the basement to drill a hole to get the romex from the wall to the basement. From there I can run it to the recept I am going to plug the extension cord into.
Lots of loose electric wires there already.
Before I do that I will run an extension cord and make sure DW likes the new location.
I just hope I don't Winnie the poohed in the basement, lol
Plugging into the washer or dryer recepts is not an option.

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_171328648.jpg
    IMG_20230711_171328648.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
I have an overhead microwave in my camper. The outlet it plugged into was behind it covered by the wooden framework. Meanwhile the back half of my toyhauler camper didn't have any outlets. I did the only logical thing I could think of and found a heavy duty 15 amp rated workshop multi outlet surge protector with a 10 foot heavy gauge cord. I then drilled a hole through the upper corner of the wall in the garage section, through othe left back corner side of an upper cabinet, across and out the right side back corner and into the space behind the microwave. I plugged it in, puttied up the holes as well as I could and mounted the surge protector along the wall so that I could have outlets to plug a phone or fan into.

How about plugging in a power strip with a 3’ cord in the outlet and mount it someplace near the front of the washer and dryer
DW has decided she wants the Dyson moved and I like this option, new dryer since past post...
The washer and dryer are both on a 20 amp breaker. Each has its own recept.
Do you think a 15amp surge strip would work to plug in the dryer and Dyson? I have an extra one I could use with 5 foot cord
Dryer specs say 1500w and 13.6 amps
Surge protector is 15amp
Thanks

I think it would work but technically it is marginal. 120v dryers tend to run for lengthy periods, so that 13.6A load is likely to be sustained for 30+ minutes. The 15A electrical rating on that outlet strip will be for peak load, with the sustained (more than 30 minutes) load at 80% of that or 12A. Don't be surprised if the strip gets warm after the dryer runs for awhile.

A top quality strip will handle the full 15A load fine, but it's hard to know that without some testing.

The washer probably draws less power. If done "well" (dressed and secured) I'd be doing the same thing. I mounted a few outlet strips for supplemental equipment in a couple of cabinets.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The dryer recept looks like the one in the pic. I'm asking several questions because I don't know what I will find when I get into the project and want to be prepared, it's a drive to the hardware store.
If I am able to change the single to a double can I use a 15amp recept from Lowes and use the screw terminals or the stab in connections?
Thanks

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 4
Use a duplex for the Dryer if it's 120 volt or the washer (They are generally 120 volt ) if the dyson is 120 volt. Then if needed you can use a 3' Appliance extensions for the Dyson.

Yes, you can use a standard 120v/15A duplex receptacle, but please buy one of the industrial grade ones rather than the cheap contractor grade stuff. They are built more ruggedly, both mechanically & electrically. Worth the extra $$ for something like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom