USING OUTLETS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTAPLAYA

Just bought 2001 damon daybreak RVing fulltime 5 days now. Wondering if I can use the outlets without running the Generator or Plugging hookup. To charge phone. Have 2 house batteries under the steps

MTAPLAYA said:
Just bought 2001 damon daybreak RVing fulltime 5 days now. Wondering if I can use the outlets without running the Generator or Plugging hookup. To charge phone. Have 2 house batteries under the steps

I assume you mean the 110 Volt AC outlets like you would have at a house. The answer is NO unless you have a inverter. The inverter would receive power from the 12 Volt DC batteries and convert it over to 110 Volt AC for your wall outlets.

Yes.thanks. These outlets are everywhere. I figured if the interior lights are running off the batteries (i assume) then i should be able to use the plugs for something low voltage

The lights are 12 volt DC. You probably have a cigarette lighter outlet someplace and you may be able to charge the things you want from it. 

Just for phones, if you have a 12V outlet, or can wire one in like the old cigarette lighter, you can buy a small USB plugin to that 12V outlet and plug in the phone to the adapter. These adapters are available almost everywhere, but most readily available at truck stops.

You cannot use the regular 120V AC outlets unless either plugged in to shore power or running the generator. The interior lights do run off the house battery system, BUT not indefinitely, you do have to keep them charge up one way or another.

MTAPLAYA said:
Yes.thanks. These outlets are everywhere. I figured if the interior lights are running off the batteries (i assume) then i should be able to use the plugs for something low voltage

That would be difficult, since those 120 VAC outlets are no hooked to the batteries (it would cause problems if they were). If you have an inverter (as mentioned above) then you can run some 120V stuff from certain ones (probably not all) of the outlets when not plugged in or running the genny. Without an inverter you may use any of the 12 VDC outlets (usually look like a cigarette lighter plug in the car) for low powered items that run off of 12V.

As I recall the Daybreak is the same as my Intruder when it comes to options.

The answer as shipped, is either no or possibly one outlet (not sure on that)
IN my 2005 and I assueme in your 2001 an inverter was an option, this is a device that can use BATTERY power (12 volt or so DC) to power 120VAC items, but it was a small inverter just enough for the front Television and POSSIBLY the outlet near the co-pilot's feet. (And I would not count on that)

On the other hand I installed an after market 2,000 watt inverter/charger that runs the Microwave, ALL the "Electronics" (Tv, Radio, DVRs and so on) The afore mentioned outlet which powers some computers. I tap the rear TV's outlet for another comptuer.  It powers the GFCI outlets as well, and optionally the bedroom and Fridge (Fridge is not really a good idea Alternator not fast enough to keep up).

Now.. You also mentioned charging cell phones and the like.

I also have a collection of 12 volt plug in USB chargers.. That's how I do most of my USB-Charged hardware.  That way seems to work better for me.  Does not occupy 120vac outlets. But then I've added some 12 volt holes too.

Thx everyone. Im going to look in to it this week coming as problems starting to develop

Back
Top Bottom