Using your credit cards at the pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hillsaway

Hi  Just a curious if anyone has been able to figure out a way to get around the "enter your zip-code" that comes up when paying at the pump.  Canadian's do not have zip codes, so I was wondering if anyone had figured out a way to get around it so that we do not have to go in to the desk every time we fill up.  Thanks

Ron said:
Hav you tried using the canadian postal code?

Yes, I have, but they won't allow the entry of letters.  I even tried using the numbers that represent the letters to no avail.

Don't know if it works with gas pumps.  I put 90210 every time I am asked for a postal code.  Can't stand the show now, but was watching it when young and easily influenced.

Is it for security purposes to confirm you are the card owner, or is it to get the demographics of the customers?  If for the first reason, it will only accept your zip code (which you don't have).  If it's for demographics, just punch in the first 5 numbers that come to mind.

56kz2slow said:
Don't know if it works with gas pumps.  I put 90210 every time I am asked for a postal code.  Can't stand the show now, but was watching it when young and easily influenced.

Is it for security purposes to confirm you are the card owner, or is it to get the demographics of the customers?  If for the first reason, it will only accept your zip code (which you don't have).  If it's for demographics, just punch in the first 5 numbers that come to mind.

I tried that, and I even used the same one, lol  It must be for security because it will not accept any other than what is on your statement.  Thanks for the idea though.

Did you try the 3 numbers in your postal code plus two zeros at the end? Used to work when I had to hand enter credit cards for mail orders.

Wendy

Nothing works, it won't even accept the zip for the RV park we stay at in Florida.  They tell me that there is a fix coming that will accept Cdn postal codes, but I have yet to find a revised pump.  Most of the large stations, including Pilots won't pump without it, and I won't leave my card at the desk unless Donna stands there with it, and they tell me there is no override.

The only option I know of is to take the card inside and present it to the clerk

NOTE: Many stations around me have gone to Cash/Credit pricing, as much as 8 or 9 cents a gallon for Gas tagged on for credit card use.. This, of course, violates the credit card aggrement, but hey, they don't care.

DEBIT cards, if you got one, use a PIN number instead of a zip code, and are treated as cash at the pump.

John In Detroit said:
The only option I know of is to take the card inside and present it to the clerk
DEBIT cards, if you got one, use a PIN number instead of a zip code, and are treated as cash at the pump.

Not at the FJ truck islands.

hillsaway said:
Hi  Just a curious if anyone has been able to figure out a way to get around the "enter your zip-code" that comes up when paying at the pump.  Canadian's do not have zip codes, so I was wondering if anyone had figured out a way to get around it so that we do not have to go in to the desk every time we fill up.  Thanks

It should be the postal code of your credit card billing address.  Call the card company and ask them what code to use.

I would not use your debit card at the pumps; and nor would I leave it inside with a clerk.  Debit cards, to the best of my knowledge, are not protected under the same laws as credit cards.  My understanding is that your bank account can be drained; and if your bank account is set up with an overdraft protection plan linked to a credit card, they can run that one up too if you are using a debit card.  With a credit card you can dispute the charges and most will not hold you accountable, especially if the card number is stolen.

We don't use our debit card while traveling at all.  Instead we use American Express whenever we can.  I don't know if Visa or MC is the same; but at the big gas stations like Flying J, our American Express is handled the same as cash and we get the cash price.  Also Amex is very quick to protect you.  If we say there is a problem, they jump on it, suspend the charge and remove it from our account; then try to figure out what is going on.  I'm not sure Visa or MC work as quickly.

I would call your credit card company and explain what you need.  The reason the gas pumps ask for your zip code is to make sure it isn't stolen.    However, that doesn't guarantee it isn't, just another level of protection.

Marsha~

Basically, if your credit or debit card is fraudulently used you are protected and the bank should reimburse any losses. I think some states may still have a $50 deductable.  However, there may be some dispute over the charges if the fraud is perpetrated using debit possibly resulting in a delay in reimbursement.    This is because you typically have to sign when using a credit card (or credit side of your debit card) and any signatures can be matched against your own or those authorised to used the card...hence no dispute if signatures do not match. 

I always write on the reverse of my cards, where the signature space is, "Please ask for ID".  I have absolutely no problem with showing my DL for verification.  In fact I get a little PO'd if they don't ask.  If the card was lost and fraudulently used  and the retailer wasn't shown valid or matching ID but went ahead with the transaction anyway, I would likely have a claim against them(for reimbursement)  if I was subjected to any $50 charge/deductable.

BT

Marsha

Do you use your Amex card at the FJ truck pumps or the RV pumps? My Amex card doesn't give me the cash price at the truck pumps.

Buddy

According to your credit card agreement, you must sign the card, printing "ask for ID" doesn't do it. The Post Office will not accept the card for payment if not signed. I fought this battle many years ago and lost.

While I don't know the rules re: Debit cards. I use cash cards at the pump (this too is an option in many stations)

A cash card is kind of like a debit card.. Or a 100 dollar bill (I usually get 100 cards)  However the "Account" is just the value of the card.. I buy 'em at church for 100 bucks a pop (Church pays 95 for 'em so the church keeps 5 bucks) and stick 'em in the pump

If I'm filling the motor home the next stop for the card is the trash can. it's done, that account is closed

If I'm fillin the car I can use 'em 2 or 3 times  3.29 this AM at my local Marathon station.

Bernie, we used the AmeX in the truck lanes.  BUT, that was the first of this year in Palm Springs.  After that trip we went home and parked it until the trip we are on now.  We have not used Flying Js yet, but have been getting fuel at local stations and not going very far.  Flying J keeps changing their "rules" so maybe they aren't offering the Amex as cash; but up until now, I'm fairly confident we always got the cash price in the truck lanes.

I think the rule about signing your card may have changed too.  We have "Ask for ID" on our cards also and were told that was the safest way.  I always worried if someone got my card they could copy my signature.  Perhaps because of identy theft on the rise, credit card companies aren't gonna be picky about not having your signature on it.  I don't mind a bit producing my driver's license which is better proof of who I am.  In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I used it at the post office recently.  The clerk accepted it and asked for my driver's license.

Marsha~

wendycoke said:
Did you try the 3 numbers in your postal code plus two zeros at the end? Used to work when I had to hand enter credit cards for mail orders.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy.  I have not tried that one, but I definitely will!

Merchants receive different rates (charges from the CC processor) depending on how the data for a transaction is collected.  When a merchant collects additional data, especially when the transaction is not face-to-face they get better rates.  Data that does not appear on the card works well for that since a "bad guy" would require more than just the card or its number to use it fraudulently.  If a merchant is configured to ask for zip code information, the only way I know around it, is to go inside.  Transactions with codes that don't match the billing address of the CC will/should be declined.

Private label gift/cash cards are an excellent alternative to credit cards at the station.  Not only will you get the cash price if offered, many of our customers (I work in this industry) offer discounts on top of that, for using their brand of cash card.  Major CC gift cards like a $50.00 Visa gift card for instance, will probably be treated as an ordinary credit card by the merchant's POS systems.

Hfx_Cdn said:
     Nothing works, it won't even accept the zip for the RV park we stay at in Florida.  They tell me that there is a fix coming that will accept Cdn postal codes, but I have yet to find a revised pump.  Most of the large stations, including Pilots won't pump without it, and I won't leave my card at the desk unless Donna stands there with it, and they tell me there is no override.

Thanks  Halifax!  I am going to have to go in to the desk like I did last year, but I am soooooooooooo WEAK when it comes to impulse buying... I am going to have to be strong.  haha  We loooooooooove the maritimes!!!!!  We went to the International Air Show there in September 2004 and we were lucky enough to see both the Blue Angels and the Canadian Snowbirds.  It was awesome!

BernieD...

I do sign the card, but add the "Please ask for ID" also.  Only because one restaurant declined to accept it without,  so now I just sign them.  My signature takes up little space and is barely readable, (I purposely make it small)  which really makes the requirement to sign useless.    I have no idea why the card companies require signatures on the card.  It makes no sense to me.  I see no valid reason, other to compare that signature with some other form of identification or against the 'transaction' signature.  However the latter can be accomplished by comparing with a  DL or ID card.  If any signature is required to approve the use of the card, surely it should be the one given on the initial application for, agreeing to all the term etc.    Some years ago I signed "Desperate Dan" - UK readers will appreciate - in the signature space on one card and no one ever questioned it.

What was the reason given when you fought the CC Co. and lost?

BT 

My credit card company has been printing my picture and my signature on the front of my card for probably 12 years now.  Unfortunately, I've lost most of the hair from the top of my head and grown more around my face since the picture was taken, so many merchants have started to question me as to whether it's my card or not.  I have yet, however, to be asked for a photo ID from a gas pump.  :)

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom