V10 or 8.1 Workhorse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whopper Stopper

We are still scouting out used Motor Homes. It seems the more you hunt the more you find and the more confused you get. We have turned our attention to Class A motor homes.

Many of the ones we looked at happened to used the V 10 engine. From all accounts it seemed people are happy with them. Yesterday I called on a Winnebago Sightseer that has a Chevy 8.1 workhorse chassis. Without a Ford- Chevy debate is there an advantage from one to the other or is it personal preference. The seller claimed to have owned both and said the Workhorse was much better. Besides the fact a seller will tell you anything to make a sale do you have any thoughts on one over the other?

Thanks for any and all tips and comments!

WS

You pretty much have the idea when you say you don't want to have the Ford/Chevy debate.  They are both good engines and if well maintained will give you years of motor homing satisfaction.

Well, here are a few facts

The HP of the two engines is almost identical (Something like 1/2 of one percent difference) and the peak torque figures are identical... now the differences

The 8.1L GM Vortec is a "low rev" engine and hits it's peaks at much lower RPM.. This is where you need it, coming off the line,,, The ford is a much Higher Rev engine, so it hits peak about the time you start backing off..  Though you can deal with  this in gear rations, to me this gives advantage GM.

Second the Allision Transmission.... Is often bolted to the back of the 8.1L but it does not fit the Ford.  That, to me is a MAJOR advantage because even Ford admits Allision trannies are best.

Finally... I have heard of some issues with both engines.. The FORD at one time had a very "Short" thread in the spark plug holes, (like 3 turns of threads) and often blew the plugs out.. I understand they have fixed this in later engines and will fix the ones affected under recall type warranty.

The 8.1 you need to check if it is subject to recall as well due to a different problem that can cause a fire. PLUS, these are not problems with the engine but with the coach design.  If the coach maker does not take care in the design the air intake can suck water in the rain, killing the engine.. Again Workhorse will help you with a fix they have designed, even though it really is not their problem.. And the next one is if there is not enough air flowing around the engine the spark plug wires can get too hot and burn, again there is a Fix (high temp wires and heat shields) but again this is a coach design NOT a problem with the engine.

I drive a Workhorse, 8.1L 5 speed Allison,, And am very happy with them.

OH. one more thing.. Selected Workhorse.. You need to take 'em in for a brake recall too.. this is important if they sit around a lot.. Not so much for us full timers.

But the bottom line on Ford or Chevy engines is... Not really a lot to recommend one over the other.

I'm a Chevy fan myself.. but that's me.

Have the V-10 ..... works great......
Ford 5 speed with OD and tow haul transmission - very pleased on how well it worked in the hills of SD and Yellowstone.....

I had a v 10 for 5 years good strong unit .
My class A has the 8.1 good strong unit.

But I have to drive 25 miles for a authorized Work horse service center.
The ford you can take to your local ford dealer.

something to think about

Roy said:
But I have to drive 25 miles for a authorized Work horse service center.
The ford you can take to your local ford dealer.
The dealer must have facilities with sufficient size, and supplies that work on your unit, whether Ford, Chevy/Workhorse, or some other type. There are two large, "local" Ford dealers within a reasonable distance of me, and one doesn't do motorhomes at all (not even oil changes), while the other only does class C -- neither of which helps me with my Bounder class A rig. So not ALL Ford dealers can/will service your rig.

I've owned & driven both too.  I had a 2004 Jayco Class C with the Ford 305 hp V10 & 4 speed automatic.  I now have a 2004 Winnebago Brave with the Workhorse 340 hp 8.1L V8 & Allison 5 speed.  I bought the Jayco/Ford new, drove it for four years & had no problems with it at all.  That said, I like the "feel" of the Winnie/Workhorse better.  Even though it's a heavier coach which somewhat offsets the higher HP it feels more powerful & responsive, probably due to the Allison tranny with one extra gear & the lower revving engine that John mentioned.

You have to be careful if you're buying a used Class A on a Workhorse chassis because there are several different Workhorse chassis & they all have the 8.1L V8.  The difference is the tranny.  The standard Workhorse W18 chassis has a GVWR of 18,000 lbs & comes with a 4 speed automatic.  The optional W20 (20,700 lb GVWR) chassis & W22 (22,000 lb GVWR) chassis have the 5 speed Allison.  This applies to the years from about 2002 to 2005 or 2006, maybe later.  You have to check the coach's spec sheet.  In 2005 or 2006 the Allison tranny went from a 5 speed to a 6 speed.  In 2005 Ford made its automatic a 5 speed with a tow/haul feature.  Also the horsepower rating on the the Ford V10 has increased from 310 to about 360.  It depends on the model year of the coach.

I haven't heard of any major problems with either engine except for the ones John mentioned.  The Workhorse chassis does have the brake caliper issue which is supposed to be resolved soon with a recall. 

My recommendation is to stay away from the Ford V-10 2 valve engines! Their overhead camshafts, located inside the valve covers, don't have bearings. My 1999 failed at 42,000 miles due to lack of oil lubrication on right bank. Since these engines are higher rev. designs, it's even more critical. The steel camshaft lobes are fixed in the aluminum heads!!

Just hate it when that happens to me.

I was on a Scrollsaw forum this week wondering why I couldn?t get a link to work. Others weren?t having any trouble with it.

Then someone politely pointed out that the Topic was 10 years old and that could have a bearing.

Oh well...

Caught me on that 8 year old date too.  Maybe the date of the original post could be highlighted in red or all posts over a certain age could be relegated to a file of old subjects.  But I have not a clue as to how to do it.

Bill

Bill N said:
Caught me on that 8 year old date too.  Maybe the date of the original post could be highlighted in red or all posts over a certain age could be relegated to a file of old subjects.  But I have not a clue as to how to do it.

Bill

I have found that when replying to an old post..I get a warning that the thread is "x" months/years old.

As a newer member I'm still going though and doing searches. I'm sure where that's where some of the older threads are brought back to life. It's still good information.

Gizmo100 said:
I have found that when replying to an old post..I get a warning that the thread is "x" months/years old.
I think I may get those too but sometimes those red notices say that another post is being processed to that same subject and you may want to read it before you post.  So whenever I see a lot of red words I assume that is what it says and just press on..................but it could be a warning of an old thread I guess.  Maybe I better start paying attention huh?

Bill

Bill N said:
Maybe I better start paying attention huh?

Bill

PAYING ATTENTION??.....What are you trying to do?....Your going to ruin it for men everywhere....Next your going to suggest that we start reading the directions on our new "Toys" ;D

That a post is old doesn?t mean it isn?t interesting or that its information isn?t valid.

irishtom29 said:
That a post is old doesn?t mean it isn?t interesting or that its information isn?t valid.
Very true but when the OP is asking for help or advice on a specific problem it becomes rather silly to answer 8 years later.

Replying to an old post can be very useful to new comer.
I even join the forum to be able to reply...

Whopper Stopper said:
We are still scouting out used Motor Homes. It seems the more you hunt the more you find and the more confused you get. We have turned our attention to Class A motor homes.

Many of the ones we looked at happened to used the V 10 engine. From all accounts it seemed people are happy with them. Yesterday I called on a Winnebago Sightseer that has a Chevy 8.1 workhorse chassis. Without a Ford- Chevy debate is there an advantage from one to the other or is it personal preference. The seller claimed to have owned both and said the Workhorse was much better. Besides the fact a seller will tell you anything to make a sale do you have any thoughts on one over the other?

Thanks for any and all tips and comments!

My last RV was 22' with the 8.1 and it literally drove with car like acceleration. At 10K it didn't feel right shifting in the higher gears. The mechanic and I drove about a mile and he said it was the planetary gears and I was getting a new transmission under warranty. Never had another problem. Very strong engine.

Never had a V10 but I currently have the Ford V8 5.4. At 30K / 5 years, no problems.

If you're going to tow a 2800+ pound toad get the V10 or the 8.1. Both are good.

Back
Top Bottom