Vacu-bond ceiling and walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pierat

A salesperson at Beaudry RV today told us to look for "vacu-bonded" ceiling and walls, as being more rigid and as not being susceptible to mold accumulation over time. He explained that various activities in the MH (class A) generated humidity, such as showers, cooking, and just people of course. He knocked some of the brands that do not "vacu-bond" as being unworthy of consideration because of the spaces between two sides of the wall and ceiling panels. Is this a legitimate concern? Is mold a serious problem in ceilings and walls of used motorhomes? If so, is there a test? Thanks for any info. - John

The experts will chime in, but we have never had mold problems. Of course we do not frequent high humidity areas......although we did spend months in S. Louisianna with no problems.

I wouldn't consider a salesman as a very reliable source for information.  They tend to tell what ever they think you need to hear for them to make a sale.

Nothing against vacubonded walls, but I LOVED hearing a new "salesman's line".  Where do these guys get this stuff?

I've only met one RV salesman who knew as much as the average person I meet in RV parks.  I expect this salesman won't be around long.

Ya gotta give these guys credit for creativity, don'tcha?

Vacuum bonding is perhaps a valid point about construction, though just about every brand of RV that has filon or fiberglass walls uses that technology now and has for a number of years now. Smooth metal skinned RVs are usually riveted and corrugated metal skins maybe either screwed or glued on. Both of those methods produce good sound sidewalls as well.

Mold is seldom a problem, except perhaps in RVs parked seasonally or year-round in damp forested areas and perhaps opened up only on the occasional weekend. I don't know how vac-bonding would or could alter that in nay fashion.

Back
Top Bottom