Veterans Day Special at Applebees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scary eh? I spent quite a bit of time digging out and scanning old family photos, although some were like pulling teeth from relatives. Here's one of (Chris') John with Queen Elizabeth II many years ago. When John wasn't fighting, he was a tailor in the British army.

I also snagged a photo of Chris' Dad when he was in the British army, although he didn't have a moustache; He was a marksman aka sniper.

I took this third photo of father and son on the day of John's daughter's wedding.

Attachments

• John_QEII (Large).jpg
    John_QEII (Large).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Gwyn_army (Large).jpg
    Gwyn_army (Large).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 22
  • John_Gwyn (Large).jpg
    John_Gwyn (Large).jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 27
I have a pic of me in fatigues from,  hmmm, 1970, 39 years ago.  Not sure if it could be proof.

Wendy, I kept my dogtag attached to my pocket knife, then essentially lost the knife.  (turned up in a couch cushion) but while missing I realized my SSN is imprinted on the tag.  Are yours?  Would you want to take a chance of losing that?  I no longer carry my tags on the knife.  Actually can't think of where they are rightnow.

PancakeBill said:
.....but while missing I realized my SSN is imprinted on the tag.  Are yours?  Would you want to take a chance of losing that?  I no longer carry my tags on the knife.  Actually can't think of where they are right now.

The worst thing the military ever did was doing away with the service number. My tags have my service number on them.

A picture of me in fatigues??  Oh, that's funny.  27 years ago, I had hair, no beard....and about 40...or 50....or 60 pounds less then I do now.  There is  only one, and my sister has it.  I'm setting on the bumper of a 10 ton wrecker with a .45 hung on my chest, eatting C rations.  She keeps it around to keep the mice away. 

I do, however, have a question if there are any WW2 vets reading this.  Do you have your discharge papers in a canvas type pouch?  If so, please send me a PM or an e-mail.  I have questions about something I found in my dads.

Based on when yougot out, I figured you would have the ssn.  In about 1969 they switced ut, I was issued a service number, can still recite it, but then they switched to using your ssn only.  No idea where my original tags are, but the ones I do still have show ssn.

You must have been in longer than me.  (68 - 72)

Oh You Kids! ;)

I just realized that the 50th anniversary of my discharge was in July of this year 2009.  ('55-"59)  My tag has my USN Service Number on it.  I have no problem remembering it. 

If my license hadn't expired, this would have been my 50th wedding anniversary year also :D :D

Wendy, Mike, bill, Don, Lou, and all other veterans, a big thanks for your service to our country and for having kept the USA a safe and civilized place to live.

I'm sure I'm not the only retiree on this forum, but don't forget that your retired ID card is also a free meal.  Actually there are several ways to qualify.

And in keeping with another ongoing thread regarding a "free meal", how is the SS thread doing (sorry, I just couldn't resist!). ;D

Home now, and a pic of me in fatigues back in about 1970 is up on the wall, along with pics of our son, daughter, son in law and other family members in uniform.  Maybe I'll scan me in.

Hey Bill, if we get enough photos, I might decide to open another album.

Ok, this is from 1967 in Viet Nam.  (Just a boy!) I was in the Air Force, but the background is at an Army Air base near our base.

Retired from AF 1965 - 1989

Attachments

• 1967 Cam Ranh Bay Viet Nam- crop.jpg
    1967 Cam Ranh Bay Viet Nam- crop.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 24
Knotts Berry Farm is giving free admission to past and present service members and one guest 11/01 to 11/26/09. A DD214/215 or VA Medical Card has worked in the past.
Happy Veterans Day to those that served & Welcome Home. Terry

Terry - Thanks for the Knotts Berry Farm info. We'll have to visit and we can each take a "date" since we're both veterans ! Free food and free Knotts Berry Farm. Life is good.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Terry - Thanks for the Knotts Berry Farm info. We'll have to visit and we can each take a "date" since we're both veterans ! Free food and free Knotts Berry Farm. Life is good.

Wendy

We are also, but I'll bet there as many Knotts Berry Farms down here in central Texas as there are in Cortez! ;)

Denny

sheltie said:
We are also, but I'll bet there as many Knotts Berry Farms down here in central Texas as there are in Cortez! ;)

True, but we're going to be in sunny warm southern California for Thanksgiving and a free trip to Knott's beats a $75 trip to Disneyland !!

Which branch of service? Mike's USMC, I was Army.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richielk
Back
Top Bottom