Vinyl vs carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clivell

I would like to replace the carpet in our 5th wheel with vinyl flooring. My husband is concerned it would add too much weight. Comments?

Probably not too much more than carpet, if at all. You can probably look up both online and see what the difference is. I love carpet, but it holds way too many allergens for me. Vinyl fake wood grain is what we put down in one of our trailers. Easy to clean, doesn't hold dirt and allergens.

There will be a lot of little floor issues to fix if putting roll vinyl over previously carpet floor. You might want to get the thicker style, that uses very little glue. I covered a lot of kitchen floors with that stuff.

Vinyl will show every bump and divot in your floor so you have to be very fastidious when preparing the floor. You also have to be cognizant of air bubbles in the vinyl. But if done right you will be happy with the vinyl.

We removed the nasty carpet and replaced it with PERGO Max Hardwood. It is 3/8" thick and 5.25" wide in about 4' lengths. Installed with glue and 1" 18 ga nails in the T & G area. Very easy to clean and looks great.

I would like to replace the carpet in our 5th wheel with vinyl flooring. My husband is concerned it would add too much weight. Comments?
To clarify, I used the wrong terminology. It would be laminate flooring not rolls of vinyl. Thanks for you further input!

So if you have it nailed down pretty good, there is no need for gaps on the edges for expansion. Is that good or bad. I thought those types of flooding needed to “float”.

The PERGO Max, while only 3/8" thick is composed of 5 layers of plywood. Due to the 180-degree orientation of the layers, it will not expand or contract under normal atmospheric conditions. This is the 2nd trailer where we removed the carpet and installed a wood floor. It is also warmer than vinyl flooring and does not show any blemishes from the material underneath as would likely be seen with vinyl.

We took the carpet out of one our spare bedrooms due to cat problems and replaced it with cork flooring. Wish we had cork throughout the house. It was easy to put down. It just clicks together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 7
A decent quality vinyl plank won't have the drawbacks of typical roll vinyl or the skimpy peel & stick vinyl tiles. A good laminate even less.

The risk in an RV is that the temperature and humidity ranges may sometimes (or maybe even often?) exceed the design spec for the stability of the flooring. Most laminates and vinyl planks are spec'ed for interiors of homes that are heated and air conditioned 24/7/365. RVs when not in use or during off-season storage are likely to exceed that. May or may not be a problem, which is why the flooring makers don't recommend it. I think if you stick with mid or high grade products, you will be ok as long as there are no extremes.

After having carpet in our homes, and several houses, when we had it removed I was amazed at the dirt, grit, human and pet hair, and skin particles being fed on by dust mites. The bottom line, carpet is nasty regardless of how you keep it and how many times it is professionally cleaned. We now have beautiful wood floors and love them. So easy to clean, so durable, and adds beauty to our home and travel trailer.

If you have allergies, or your pets have allergies and you have carpet.........never mind. Go look under the carpet and you'll see why. It is just nasty under there! And that affects the environment we live in and live with every day.

Bob

You might find this link to a previous post interesting. It is a project that I did several years ago on my coach.

The links for the pictures in the beginning are photoshop and they are posted better later in the post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgnmgn11
Back
Top Bottom