Virtual Campfire: The Scouting Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian

Tom said:
Sounds like a great virtual Scout campfire.
Tom, it was an amazing experience. My Scouter friend from Dublin led it and I supported him as did a Scouter from Ohio. We all (about 20 of us) took a turn to provide a verse, or tell a tale, or share some thoughts. Between each contribution there would be a pause, then another would start their contribution. I don't recall anybody starting to talk over another, they took their time and waited for each other. It was so peaceful, respectful, spiritual even. Never been like that again.

If you have had a Scouting experience you might recall a Scout's Own like that.

To the best of our knowledge it is the first time in the world that the Internet had been used for a Scout's Own and a Virtual Campfire. I know it has happened again for others but we think we were the first. Heck, in later years we even arranged our own uniform patches and had them made and distributed around the world. I think I have a pic of one here somewhere.
All of this was done through the Scouting Forum on CompuServe, they even provided several (5 or 6) free accounts in different countries to help keep it going. I certainly had a weekend of it. Because of the time zones I started off the event late Friday evening. I finally grabbed some shuteye about 3 or so Sunday morning. Was back on about 7:30 am, then again fell asleep about 2 Monday morning through till about 8 or so. I was finally home again about lunchtime and after setting the computer up again, I checked the chat room, there were still guys in the room chatting! I gave up and fell into bed till late that evening. It took a few days before I was really feeling 'normal' again LOL I'm too old and silly to try stuff like that again.

One of my strongest memories over the years of events was the conversation between some young women of the Guides in France talking with some US Scouts about the time they were camping with some Scout troops and decided to go skinny dipping, with their Leader's permission. The Stateside guys just could not believe it. All their dreams might have come at once if only they were in real time LOL
-----------------------------------------
Attached are 3 pictures of Scouting patches appropriate to this story.
* Cybrjamb.gif was issued for the very first CyberJamboree of 1994 between Australia and USA (yes CompuServe Scouters had that name well before anybody else).
* Jotacs97.gif was issued for the 1997 CyberJamboree which followed on from the 95 and 96 events discussed above. This patch was paid for by CompuServe and approved by them so we could use their logo.
* bsea.gif is the virtual badge designed for the Browsea Island Patrol which grew out of the old Scouting Forum after CompuServe had closed it. We are Scouters from all over the place, still sharing information and help through our mailing list. Several Troops still meet at International camps. Mostly US Troops visiting the UK Scouts.

Attachments

• Cybrjamb.gif
    Cybrjamb.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Jotacs97.gif
    Jotacs97.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 21
  • bsea.gif
    bsea.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for that info and photos Ian. A worldwide organization such as Scoutng lends itself very well to communication between young folks in different parts of the world.

If you have had a Scouting experience you might recall a Scout's Own like that.

I was a Wolf Cub, then Scout , then Assistant Scoutmaster for a short while before college studies took too much of my time. But I must admit to not having heard of a Scout's Own. Maybe I was in a different organization  ???

Tom said:
Thanks for that info and photos Ian. A worldwide organization such as Scouting lends itself very well to communication between young folks in different parts of the world.
Yes, now there is the Internet the whole world can share in the Scouting experience. Previously (pre-www) this was limited to contacts made over Amateur Radios during JOTA (3rd weekend in October Scouts and Guides of the world communicate through Jamboree Of The Air). Now the many forms of traffic available through the Internet add to the Amateur radio experience so many more people can participate. A lucky few can tell of the pleasure of attending National and International Jamboree's and Ventures(Don't know what the next level is for your senior scouts).
I was a Wolf Cub, then Scout , then Assistant Scoutmaster for a short while before college studies took too much of my time.
I was one of those Dad's sucked in when my son's started at Cubs. Soon the whole family was involved. The boys at Scouts and Cubs, my daughter at Brownies then Guides, my wife as a Guide Leader and I was a Scouter. "It's only one night a week..."
But I must admit to not having heard of a Scout's Own. Maybe I was in a different organization  ???
OK, Lets see what I can find from the official sites to explain it.
This is a good one "a gathering of Scouts held to contribute to the development of their spirituality and to promote a fuller understanding of the Scout Law."
In most cases we were not trying to be religious more than trying to bring out an understanding that there might be a greater scheme of things than what the Scout might have imagined. That the pleasure they gain from nature might be a valuable lesson to take into their suburban life. That maybe there is an understanding of a greater good that they can develop and share with others.
from B-P, our founder:    To interest the boys, the Scouts' Own must be a cheery and varied function.  Short hymns (three verses are as a rule quite enough - never more than four); understandable prayers; a good address from a man who really understands boys  (a homely "talk" rather than address) which grips the boys, and in which they may laugh or applaud as the spirit moves them, so that they have a real interest in what is said.  If a man cannot make his point to keen boys in ten minutes he ought to be shot!  If he has not got them keen it would be better not to hold a Scouts' Own at all.
November 1928

Correction. The first CyberSpace Jamboree was held in 1993. I variously planned, coordinated and/or worked on the October 1995, 96 and 97 events as far as connections with Scouts through CompuServe were concerned.
This site from a very good US Scouting buddy of mine tells the story of the madhouse that happened in 1993.
http://post369.columbus.oh.us/crew.d/program.d/cyberspace.html
and from another close friend of mine who worked with Jim and myself as well as numbers of other folks around the world for the October event. I wasn't part of this network for the January 1995 event. I didn't join CompuServe till July 1995. :eek:
http://www.scouts.asn.au/cyberspc.html

Thanks for the references Ian.

It's been a long time since I was involved with the Scout movement, so something may have dropped out of my memory. But reading about a Scout's Own it was not familiar, although a lot of stuff has obviously been updated to today's vernacular. FWIW even the Promise is different from the one we learned and spoke in the UK back then. One of the refernces clarifies things by stating:

It should be strongly emphasized, however, that the original promise and law were written for young people in England at the beginning of the 20th Century. Each national association must ensure that its promise and law is formulated in a modern language adapted to its specific culture and civilization, while remaining faithful to the fundamentals.

When I was a newbie to the Scouting Movement in the 90 somethings I found things were very different compared to when I was a  probationary Scout back in 60 something. I never got the chance to complete the Promise as my ride stopped being available to the other town. I couldn't be a Scout (so I thought) in my hometown because all the school bullies were also part of that Troop. I didn't need bullying out of sight of the teachers as well as what I got at school. Because of that fear I never had the experiences you and so many others have had, growing up with the Scouting Movement.

Back
Top Bottom