Visiting Nova Scotia this fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COMer

We spent about a month in the area 12 years ago and knew that we wanted to return.  Awesome place!  We have another month planned that would start the end of August. 

We did the highlights and many of those we plan to do again but would like ideas of places that aren't on the tourist's lists or campgrounds that we would love.  We expect to spend much of the time near Sydney and Cape Breton Highlands.  We especially like the scenery and the slower pace.  Oh yes, and the Tim Horton pastries of course.

We were in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick a NewFoundland last year. I'll list the Campgrounds we used in Nova Scotia.

North Sidney (prior to boarding ferry to NewFoundland and on our return):
Arm of Gold. OK campground, many use this CG because it is convenient to the ferry.

Baddeck - base for touring this area and the Cabot Trail:
Baddeck Cabot Trails CG, next time I would go back to CG we used on a prior trip: Bras D'Or Lakes CG.

If you stay here (or from Sydney) go to the Highland Village Museum (living museum) near Iona on Rt 223.

Hilden (near Truro):
Scotia Pines CG. like many an old park, but it works as a base.

Halifax: stayed in Hammond Plains:
Woodhaven RV Park of Halifax. Decent park. Good base for Halifax and point south - like Peggy's Cove

Annapolis Royal: before taking the ferry from Digby back to St John:
Dunromin Campsites. Again a good base for the area.

Thanks.  That is helpful and I will print your thoughts out to have along when we are there.

Here is a link to the Doers and Dreamers Guide put out by the province:  http://www.novascotia.com/about-nova-scotia/order-travel-guide 
    If you want to see the road less traveled, try such things as Route 4 around the Bras d'or, there is a great campground in Ben Eoin.  Or try taking highway 7 through the Eastern Shore, places like Sherbrooke Village, and all the little harbours along the route are very picturesque.
    If you do go down Digby/Annapolis Royal way, one of the best couple of hours to spend is at Habitat National Park, which is the 2nd oldest permanent white settlement in North America.  It is a total re-build based on paintings in the Louvre.
    You are coming at a great time, nice warm days, cool evenings.  You may be lucky enough to get some early colour in the Highlands National Park.
    We will be away at our cottage for August, home in Dartmouth early September, but keep in touch and we will try to get together to at least meet.  As you start looking at areas let me know and I'll help with details if I can.

Ed

Thanks for the link.  I had found this and ordered some brochures that should be helpful.  I will keep your suggestions for when we are there and try them out, like route 4. 

I will send you a note when we know our exact dates.  It sounds like we will be there at the same time and we would enjoy meeting.

John, we share the family cottage at Parlee Beach with my brother.  We are there in August this year, and are jam packed until at least mid August, so depending on when you are heading past, if our company is all gone, we can offer you a place to park for a couple of days.  We are about a 2 minute walk to a gorgeous beach with the warmest water north of the Carolinas.  That is why I said, keep in touch.

Ed

Thanks again.  We did receive our copy of the "Doers and Dreamers" guide and it will be very helpful.  I am in the process of recovering from cataract surgery (one down and one to go) and the doctor will not release me until toward the end of August so we may be in your area around the time that you are finished with your company.  We will be in touch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom