wall slides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I never saw this topic.  Do wall slides (or Super Slides) more likely to break than the shorter traditional slides?

Super-slides and full-wall slides are a bit different.  The marketing types began to refer to "super slides" when they got up around 12-14 ft in length, but they really aren't any different than shorter ones.  In other words, just hype.    Full wall slides are even longer, sometime 30 ft or so.  Technically they are distinguished by the movement mechanism, which requires multiple motors and is more complex than shorter, single motor slides.

so it would seem to me that a wall slide would reduce the structural integrity of the wall and be more likely to break down because of the weight moved and the tighter tolerances needed to line it up over such a large distance.  Am I on track (pun intended) or have the companies done a good enough job compensating that I shouldn't be afraid to buy one?

I've now had two rigs with full wall slides, and both have been excellent in that regard. Note that the designation FULL wall slide differentiates it from slides which are not nearly the FULL length of the rig. Both of my rigs have had the slide from just behind the driver's seat to the back end of (whole wall of) the bedroom in the rear, leaving only a small section of front and a small section of the rear of the rig that is not part of the slide.

or have the companies done a good enough job compensating that I shouldn't be afraid to buy one?
They have indeed done a good enough job. Since a slide is normally either fully open or fully closed, the manufacturers have generally engineered them to be more than adequately strong in both conditions. A smaller slide would, if there were a structural problem with slides, have the same problem as the full wall slide, but just over less of the coach.

Larry N. said:
I've now had two rigs with full wall slides, and both have been excellent in that regard. Note that the designation FULL wall slide differentiates it from slides which are not nearly the FULL length of the rig. Both of my rigs have had the slide from just behind the driver's seat to the back end of (whole wall of) the bedroom in the rear, leaving only a small section of front and a small section of the rear of the rig that is not part of the slide.
They have indeed done a good enough job. Since a slide is normally either fully open or fully closed, the manufacturers have generally engineered them to be more than adequately strong in both conditions. A smaller slide would, if there were a structural problem with slides, have the same problem as the full wall slide, but just over less of the coach.

Thanks!!!

The only significant issue with full wall slides is that there are multiple motors that need to be in sync to avoid cocking that long wall sideways.  The mechanism is indeed more complicated.

Structurally, the sidewall adds little strength or stiffness overall. Whether it has no slides, multiple slides or full wall.  The walls are essentially just bolted on after the floor is laid over the vehicle frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowtoast
Back
Top Bottom