Washer/dryer combo question...size??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilbur072457

We purchased a 24" x 24" washer/dryer combo and it don't fit in the closet that is meant for the washer/dryer.  We need about another 2" of space for the door to close. Do they make smaller sizes that would fit our closet?

What about manufacturer? You did not give any information about it to give you the proper answer.

Did you check the dimensions on the Splendide combo?  They are 23.5" deep, which I thought was pretty much standard.

http://www.splendide.com/compare_specs.htm

They are the same size as what we purchased. Agree, it appears they are all about the same size. That's why we are surprised it don't quite fit.

My coach came prepared for a washer/dryer. To install one, the shelves
and back have to be removed from the closet. Does your closet have a back that could be removed?

Would something like this help?

https://www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafine-UD48S-Straight-Outlet/dp/B001AH3K72/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJGXmY2t4gIVgVuGCh3N7AEPEAAYAiAAEgKCxfD_BwE&hvadid=177584964612&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9058138&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14053875712870772906&hvtargid=aud-646675774026%3Akwd-5240158665&hydadcr=19365_9707755&keywords=dryer+vent+adapter&qid=1558458209&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I just was looking at something like that online. Thanks. We have to take some measurements and see if it will work.

I would guess that the space was intended for the unvented Splendide combo.  It's the same physical size but it doesn't need the space behind it for a vent.

Don't believe all the bad press you read about unvented combos. They are quite common in Europe and Asia where they are used by people who live in "flats" where venting a dryer isn't possible.  They DON'T vent their humidity into the RV (or the flat) contrary to many of the incorrect posts you can read on RV forums.  They do use some water during the drying cycle (1-2 gals/hr of drying) but they dry clothes in roughly the same amount of time as the vented models.  All 120V RV dryers take MUCH longer to dry clothes than do residential dryers operating on 240V.

We've had an unvented Splendide for 8 years and are fine with it.  It's a heck of a lot better than not having it IMO.

docj said:
They do use some water during the drying cycle (1-2 gals/hr of drying) but they dry clothes in roughly the same amount of time as the vented models.
I didn't know that. Why do they use water to get rid of water?

docj said:
I would guess that the space was intended for the unvented Splendide combo.  It's the same physical size but it doesn't need the space behind it for a vent.

This is what we were wondering, except it has the vent hole built in for a vented dryer. And as you said, the things we read about unvented made us feel we didn't want that.

I didn't know that. Why do they use water to get rid of water?

Assuming the moisture from the clothes and condenser, since not vented, goes down the drain (which is what I thought folks were asking)?

Spring Creek said:
Assuming the moisture from the clothes and condenser, since not vented, goes down the drain (which is what I thought folks were asking)?

Right, there's actually an "outer drum" on which the water vapor condenses and is directed down the drain.

wilbur072457 said:
This is what we were wondering, except it has the vent hole built in for a vented dryer. And as you said, the things we read about unvented made us feel we didn't want that.

It's one of my pet peeves that most of the posts about unvented combos are written by people who have never had one and don't even know how they work.  Some people will state authoritatively that unvented units vent the water vapor inside the RV.  Simply demonstrates that they have never had one.

I'll admit that if I could have had a vented combo without having to cut a hole in my MH and figure out how to get the space to run a duct I would probably have wanted one rather than the unvented.  But, as I said in the previous post, it works well and it sure beats wasting time in a laundromat.

The thing to keep in mind is that issues such as wrinkling of clothes (if you put too much in the drum) and long drying times are pretty much the same regardless of whether you have the vented or unvented models.  As before, people will make unsubstantiated claims that there are huge differences--there aren't.

Joel (AKA docj)

wilbur072457 said:
Why would my machine squeak in the dryer mode if it don't in the washing mode?

I don't know but you should start your own post so everyone doesn't have to read this entire post. When writing the subject, try to indicate a brief description of what your problem is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom