Watching Television When RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deafdogs

How do full timers access TV while traveling? I don't watch a lot of TV but am moving closer to full time RVing and would like to have TV as an entertainment option during down times.

Thanks for your input.

Yep. Over the air is free and works with any TV. You just have to rescan every time you move. Easy peasy.

Remote areas or under dense trees will limit the OTA signal you get. As sated above, we also usually at least pick up a couple of the major networks for basic TV, news etc.

We have Dish using a portable satellite dish as well as OTA when available. Lately we've found we're using more streaming TV though. Our cell based Internet services still aren't reliable enough everywhere we travel to completely drop the satellite service, but it's getting closer.

Some of us stream video instead of watching conventional TV. For the price of a Dish Network receiver and the monthly service you can get a high data limit cellular plan and use that to stream video wherever you have cell service.

We don't full time, but do travel up to about a month at a time, as to watching TV it is almost all streaming using our Roku or now new smart TV over our wifi cell hotspot mostly watching Netflix, Amazon, etc. Very rarely do we even bother cranking up the over the air antenna.

We do mostly OTA. But once you get over 50mi away from your station signals it can be dicey. Rescan a lot or consider ext antenna if your able to get it above the roof while you're parked. There's apps you can download to find best signal position. We have great/dependable wifi where ever we go (as long as there's a phone signal) so we also cast Hulu. $7/mo but no local channels.

we use an Amazon firestick and download things to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime when we get good WiFi. When downloaded you don't need to be connected to the Internet to watch them so its really useful.

We use a Dish satellite system on the roof, and we have it set up to receive the local channels wherever we are. We are in areas without OTA channels probably 1/4 of the time, and in areas with bad cell dat at least 1/3 of the time, maybe more. Of course, it depends on where you stay. We also download videos from the regular streaming services to watch off-line, though some of the newer shows can’t be downloaded.

We have been using Youtube TV over the internet for the last year.
Just like what you get from cable of satellite but about 20% less. Though when out in the boonies, Satellite is probably more reliable.

We have the Winegard Trav’ler antenna for Dish Network. We use our Hopper 3 and wireless Joey from our sticks & bricks home. This gives us all the features we enjoy at home.

We seldom stay at camp grounds but about half the time we can’t get a site with a clear view of the three satellites. For those times we rely on an OTA antenna. If that fails we have shows recorded on the Hopper.

we use an Amazon firestick and download things to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime when we get good WiFi. When downloaded you don't need to be connected to the Internet to watch them so its really useful.
How many movies can you put on 1 stick? This sounds really interesting

How many movies can you put on 1 stick? This sounds really interesting
We load them onto our mobile phone or tablet. I usually download in lower quality which is still decent to watch. It will depend on capacity on device. I've had several movies and TV shows on mine at once. If you have the app on more than one device you can download different things to each.

If you are streaming to a Roku or similar device, try "Pluto TV". Alot of old shows, but they have a nice slick channel Guide and they show dedicated shows exclusively on some of their single channels. Pretty good line up but dated on alot of stuff. I was watching the Live coverage of Court TV on Pluto last week also. I have about got a badge and ready to join the force as a honorary detective from how many Cold Case Files I been watching.

Pluto TV--Check it out!

JD

We load them onto our mobile phone or tablet. I usually download in lower quality which is still decent to watch. It will depend on capacity on device. I've had several movies and TV shows on mine at once. If you have the app on more than one device you can download different things to each.
We are most often in places with no internet or cell tv signals so i would like to be able to put multiple movies on a device at one time - suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom