Water damage help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You certainly will know your Trailer  :)  And you said tons of water came out of water heater, I bet only 6 gallons did.  Live and learn.  Making great progress, keep us updated, but if you have a specific question, you should start a specific thread for help. Just an FYI, some of the great forum helpers have limited data to watch youtube videos, or not the patience.  Time is precious.  Keep up the good work.

SpencerPJ said:
You certainly will know your Trailer  :)  And you said tons of water came out of water heater, I bet only 6 gallons did.  Live and learn.  Making great progress, keep us updated, but if you have a specific question, you should start a specific thread for help. Just an FYI, some of the great forum helpers have limited data to watch youtube videos, or not the patience.  Time is precious.  Keep up the good work.

Yeah what he said...LOL.  We are visiting at the MIL and the only internet is on our phones and it's limited to even getting a signal.

I am looking forward to getting home to check out your videos and your progress.

Alright guys so if you haven?t been able to watch my videos I?ll fill you in that there is a standing cabinet that has been haunting me all week lol

It?s the one piece of original furniture in the trailer I wasn?t willing to part with by damaging in during removal but it was also completely in our way. It houses the electric panel and the heater and has been a beast to figure out.

Today I was able to complete remove the front panel in order to access the screws to hopefully remove the cabinet... and you know what I found?

The only non rotten section of wood in the whole trailer!!

I pulled up flooring and it looks like the wood is brand new under there meaning we probably could have just cut around the darn thing and not messed with it!

But I?m thankful that area was the least impacted due to it housing the electric panel.
I just had to laugh when I peeled back that flooring after all that work trying to salvage this cabinet.

On another note, The Floor in the bathroom is toast. I?m gonna post a video soon showing the weird path this water damage took. But I?ve attached a photo of the bathroom flooring

Attachments

• 8C37138A-3FBF-449C-9AF3-2155CB9C0E76.jpeg
    8C37138A-3FBF-449C-9AF3-2155CB9C0E76.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 29CB84A6-D394-463C-BCC2-56453512A0BE.jpeg
    29CB84A6-D394-463C-BCC2-56453512A0BE.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 0CC57755-5695-4FC6-8B31-496E1A76E9B0.jpeg
    0CC57755-5695-4FC6-8B31-496E1A76E9B0.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 45
Well we made it home and I was able to watch your videos.....All I can say is after you finish this project you will have a trailer better than anything you could buy. Just stay the course and keep us updated.

Gizmo100 said:
Well we made it home and I was able to watch your videos.....All I can say is after you finish this project you will have a trailer better than anything you could buy. Just stay the course and keep us updated.

Thank you!

You guys are really keeping me motivated during this project. Its overwhelming at times to lack the  knowledge about travel trailers and be attempting to remodel one. But everyone here has been so helpful and made it a lot easier.

We got the toilet removed this morning and for some reason I was expecting it to weigh 30+ lbs

I didn?t expect it to be so light lol

One of the bolts was really rusty and snapped off during removal so we will need to replace that. But having the toilet out gives me a great opportunity to clean it very well.

After getting the tub and toilet out all I can think is Man this would make a great closet! But I know if we ever wanted to sell it we would diminish the value by not having the bathroom.

Oh well!

You can pickup new toilet flange bolts at Lowe?s or Home Depot. I had to replace my flush valve last week and it came with a new toilet-to-floor rubber seal. The Thetford toilet didn?t weigh 10 lbs!
Enjoying your posts and thanks for posting your progress.

We got the window out yesterday, It was much easier than expected.

The non leaking side of the window had sticky butyl tape around it while the leaking side of the window had dried out butyl tape that crumbled into dust when I was taking it off.

We started to peel back more of the wall that felt soft and found that the emergency window right next to the leaking window also has a leak    ::)

Not nearly as bad but still ugly. So tomorrow that window will come out now that I have more plastic to cover the windows.

The new plan is to take out all the other windows over the next week to check and reseal them. Really glad I caught it before we started repairing everything.

Not sure if I?m going to stick with the butyl/sealant route or spend the $150+ for the foam seal stuff.

Attachments

• BAADC134-766B-4891-9AC9-120FC92E5744.jpeg
    BAADC134-766B-4891-9AC9-120FC92E5744.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 31
Jey, I am glad you are fixing it right, you will be glad you did.  I must say, I am surprised that so many leaks and issues on a 2012.  Certainly give the roof a good look over and touch up all the caulk areas with Dicor, as part of this adventure.  You really don't want a leak and have to deal with roof repair issues.    :)  As you replace wall panels, stores like Menards or Lowes have nice lightweight, paneling that will work nice (and probably look better than the original stuff from the factory.  Make it to your liking :)

SpencerPJ said:
Jey, I am glad you are fixing it right, you will be glad you did.  I must say, I am surprised that so many leaks and issues on a 2012.  Certainly give the roof a good look over and touch up all the caulk areas with Dicor, as part of this adventure.  You really don't want a leak and have to deal with roof repair issues.    :)  As you replace wall panels, stores like Menards or Lowes have nice lightweight, paneling that will work nice (and probably look better than the original stuff from the factory.  Make it to your liking :)

I?m surprised too, It really puts things into perspective. I just can?t figure out how both windows ended up with leaks unless for some reason they were previously taken out and not resealed properly?.

I was going to put off the roof until the project was finished but got nervous about it and I placed an order for the dicor cool coat roof coating a few days ago along with some Eternabond tape and dicor self leveling sealant. I have to order the cleaner/activator next week and start watching some videos on how to seal the roof. The previous owners told me it was sealed 6 months ago but they also told me they fixed the leak!

I also ordered all the stuff I need to seal the corners of the trailer. Not looking forward to getting all that old sealant off though!

Wow, I have a 2012 trailer, I just lightly scrub the old caulk and seal over it.  The roof is usually good for 10 plus years.  I wouldn't know why the roof would be re coated, but I don't know the whole story.  Glad you are addressing the roof if need be, that is usually the problem maker.  On the bright side, after this work, you'll have a pretty darn nice trailer.

Great update.

My, it never ends with surprises.  You'll get it done,focus on costs...  A friend is helping his daughter with a rebuild, old early 70 trailer.  Not as many windows as yours, but he got pretty crafty.  He used some paneling from Lowes that was for bathrooms, was thinner, flexible, light, semi wateresistant, looks good.

Keep us updated, and fire away with particular questions.  Those hose clamps look like a PEX type clamp.  You might be able to cut off, and replace them with regular screw down clamps. 

Thanks Spencer!

I think my luggage door is warped, One side doesn?t close flush which I?m assuming will bring water in. Not sure if I should just add another latch to that side or look at replacing the whole thing (I don?t know if they even sell these)

The third picture Ive attached is what I think is the thermostat for my heater? I googled this model and the top switch to go from off to ?Warmer? seems to be missing or broken. Will need to replace it eventually.. hopefully I didn?t mess anything up getting it out of the wall

Attachments

• 7CF4971A-C0EF-4474-82E1-AF9051901220.jpeg
    7CF4971A-C0EF-4474-82E1-AF9051901220.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 58914F4C-56AF-4511-92BA-C43614D1C6B5.jpeg
    58914F4C-56AF-4511-92BA-C43614D1C6B5.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 32
  • D03BA35D-BD4D-417A-97BA-113E7429BF2E.jpeg
    D03BA35D-BD4D-417A-97BA-113E7429BF2E.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 34
The door?  Kinda looks like someone pryed on it?  Do you have the keys?  If not, look at the lock, has a # on it, ebay sells them cheaply.  If the door is warped, can you lock the right side and snug it to sealed position? 

Thermostat: Not sure about that model, but they are not that expensive. Simple wire going from thermostat to hvac.

Before you get 100 little projects sprawled out everywhere, maybe focus on getting leaks sealed, interior replaced, etc.  For me (one who has flipped many houses), a bunch of projects / concerns going on at once can get overwhelming and daunting to complete.

SpencerPJ said:
The door?  Kinda looks like someone pryed on it?  Do you have the keys?  If not, look at the lock, has a # on it, ebay sells them cheaply.  If the door is warped, can you lock the right side and snug it to sealed position? 

Thermostat: Not sure about that model, but they are not that expensive. Simple wire going from thermostat to hvac.

Before you get 100 little projects sprawled out everywhere, maybe focus on getting leaks sealed, interior replaced, etc.  For me (one who has flipped many houses), a bunch of projects / concerns going on at once can get overwhelming and daunting to complete.

Just trying to eliminate all the possible leaks!. I have the keys

They also gave me 4 extra keys that I have no idea what they go to.

It looks like I have to find a lumber place as Lowe?s and Home Depot do not carry what we need. I measured the wood for the wall beams (1x2)  and floor beams (2x2)  but I didn?t realize that wood advertised as 2x2 and 1x2 are not actually those dimensions... so hopefully over the weekend we can locate the right pieces

Jey said:
Just trying to eliminate all the possible leaks!. I have the keys

They also gave me 4 extra keys that I have no idea what they go to.

It looks like I have to find a lumber place as Lowe?s and Home Depot do not carry what we need. I measured the wood for the wall beams (1x2)  and floor beams (2x2)  but I didn?t realize that wood advertised as 2x2 and 1x2 are not actually those dimensions... so hopefully over the weekend we can locate the right pieces

Keys, hard telling.  You probably have 751 keys on the outside locks, and a couple door keys.  Other than that, they could be old keys for the front tongue padlock, etc.

Wood, 2x2.  It might be easier to buy 2x4" and rip them with a table saw.  Both dimensions are not necessary.  It's not like they need to be a perfect cut, and ripping is pretty easy if you have a table saw.  If not, and you have a hard time finding the correct wood, sometimes a 2x2, and then a scrap piece of paneling glued on top of it, gets you the desired thickness.  Just throwing ideas out there. 

Made it out to the lumber yard today to try and find the mysterious 1?x1.5? lumber pieces we needed to re-frame the wall.

Found a very nice gentleman who helped us out a ton. He cut the pieces for us to exact measurement so finally we can get started on rebuilding the wall!

(After we tear out a couple more things of course)

Next week I will be heading back there to get the floor lumber

Attachments

• CE81D41A-1C00-4114-B8EF-8E20289997BA.jpeg
    CE81D41A-1C00-4114-B8EF-8E20289997BA.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 34
Jey said:
Made it out to the lumber yard today to try and find the mysterious 1?x1.5? lumber pieces we needed to re-frame the wall.

Found a very nice gentleman who helped us out a ton. He cut the pieces for us to exact measurement so finally we can get started on rebuilding the wall!

(After we tear out a couple more things of course)

Next week I will be heading back there to get the floor lumber

Now the fun of putting it all back together begins..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom