Water heater issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean_Reynolds

Hello Friends!

After a long Boondocking summer of travel and business launch, we are finally home and have developed a water heater issue during winterizing.

Water heater issues?

Perhaps unrelated?
- when the water heater was on we were getting the carbon monoxide/LP detector going off randomly throughout the summer.
- during winterizing and With the anodizing rod out...We are getting pink antifreeze out the hot water outlet of the hot water heater, as well as leaking out the anodizing rod hole when we turned the water pump.
- Additionally, antifreeze was leaking out underneath the hot water heater on the deck of the trailer
- I replaced the on off valve of the hot outlet of the hot water heater with the same problem still happening after replacement. (See the poor pic below... The hose is clear from the water heater hot outlet to the on/off switch, so you can see the antifreeze. After the valve you can't see through the red pipe. I can't tell if the antifreeze is being pumped through the water heater to the valve (and through it ?) With out taking apart the valve again.)

For what it's worth I set up the water heater bypass before I turned the pump on.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Dean

If you have an anode rod then that means you have a Suburban water heater. How old is it? How many valves are there on the backside which need to be operated to bypass to winterize? 
You didn't send a picture

It is a suburban. I would guess that it?s the same water heater that came with the trailer? Purchased in 2011.

Sorry about the picture, I guess the file size was too big. There are three valves to winterize? The on and off valves for cold water inlet  and hot water outlet, as well as the bypass.

Dean

If you close the two valves going to / from the tank and open the third, water should go through that last valve and bypass the water heater completely.  If you are winterizing with pink antifreeze, then you should get pink out of your hot water faucets.  Anything coming from the heater means the cold valve on the heater is not closed or is  leaking.  Not a big issue.

Water under the tank from a source other than from tank drains IS a big issue.  Are there any external leaks around the bypass valves??  Good luck getting it identified and fixed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom