Water heater plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skister77

Currently my water heater has the plastic plug. Anyone have a reason why I shouldn't use the petcock?

Attachments

• 16687274781023929059766687393106.jpg
    16687274781023929059766687393106.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
As long as the petcock is made of brass it should be OK but if you do that you then also need to remove it and flush the mineral deposits out at least once each year. The rush of water out with the plug will carry at least some of the minerals out. Do not use an iron plug on your Atwood/Dometic water heater because it has an aluminum tank and it will create problems.
1668731396636.png

Last edited:
Using the petcock would still require it being removed to flush the tank properly.
That and any buildup in the tank may plug the petcock when draining.

Guess since I have to remove it anyway, I will stick to the plastic. Thanks for the heads up.

Using the petcock would still require it being removed to flush the tank properly.
That and any buildup in the tank may plug the petcock when draining.
Good point and you may think it’s empty when it could be 1/2 or 3/4 full and could freeze if it gets cold enough in your area

I keep a spare plug or two on hand in case I damage the hex on it. Its easy enough to get in and out with the right socket and extension and ratchet. I use pipe dope on the threads. Teflon tape is not the best thing for this application, as it never seems to work very well on plastic threads.

Another reason for the plastic plug is, it is additional insurance to protect you from buggering up the threads in the aluminum tank.

I also take cardboard, such as a canned drink carton, and tape it to the inside of the heater to act as a funnel to direct the water away from the side of the RV. Only takes a minute, I use blue masking tape, which works well enough for the few minutes it will be on there.

Charles

I keep a spare plug or two on hand in case I damage the hex on it
Atwood recommends that you use a new plug each time but like you, I didn't do that but I did keep a spare and replace the original at the first sign of damage. I also found that a new plug was easier to seal without leakage than a used one.

I used a 1/2 inch ball valve for a while (Tha'ts a BIG petcock) and had a half inch nipple to screw into it when I drained... With this you can still flush but it's a very tight fit I had to modify the vlave handle. And eventually I had to replace the tank and it did not work on the new tank (leaked)

I'd avoid metal plugs/fittings on the Atwood tank.

I've used the same ½ nylon plug for 10 years. This time when I attempted to remove it the hex head twisted off. Now when I de-winterize I've got to use a pipe removal tool to remove the nylon threads.
I do have this handy in my spare parts, 25 ½" NPT nylon pipe plugs for $10. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZYWNSJ...colid=IIT191TPI0O4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
You may be able to get it out by driving a large regular screwdriver into the broken plug . Then unscrew it with a crescent wrench or vice grips.

I keep a spare plug or two on hand in case I damage the hex on it. Its easy enough to get in and out with the right socket and extension and ratchet. I use pipe dope on the threads. Teflon tape is not the best thing for this application, as it never seems to work very well on plastic threads.

Another reason for the plastic plug is, it is additional insurance to protect you from buggering up the threads in the aluminum tank.

I also take cardboard, such as a canned drink carton, and tape it to the inside of the heater to act as a funnel to direct the water away from the side of the RV. Only takes a minute, I use blue masking tape, which works well enough for the few minutes it will be on there.

Charles

Instead of pipe dope, use faucet/valve grease, sometimes called plumbers grease. Made for plastic faucet cartridges and valves.

When I don't have a nylon plug available, a 1/2" CPVC plug from a hardware store works just as well. I find that keeping a spare right inside the water heater cabinet pretty much insures I'll never need it. ;)

Just make shure whatever you use has the right thread. The water heater needs "pipe" thread. That fitting with the petcock looks like it has "tubing" threads.
Bill

You may be able to get it out by driving a large regular screwdriver into the broken plug . Then unscrew it with a crescent wrench or vice grips.
I still have all my toolmakers stuff, so I'll use my pipe removers, kinda like EZ-outs, but with 4 tapered corners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom