Water Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

washtubman

Can someone explain why there is not a controllable thermostat on motorhome water heaters?  The water gets hotter than one needs and thus seems like a waste of energy.  Hope you all have a great day! :)

Atwood sells one as an option for some models and they also sell different temp fixed thermostats.  Why the standard one isn't adjustable I do not know - maybe just saves a dollar?  And they use relatively low temps ones too - helps avoid liability issues (water scalding is a surprisingly high frequency product lawsuit - remember the McDonald's coffee?).

Does anyone know where the anode ( I think that's what it's called ) is? It's that thing that the water attacks so that it won't attack your element. I have one on my home heater, and I've seen then for sale for RV's, but i can't seem to be able to find it in my trailer or my pops

If yours has an anode, it will be screwed in where the drain plug would normally be screwed in. The drain plug is often accessible from the outside of the RV. Some water heaters don't need an anode because the lining of the tank serves the same purpose.

One caveat: If you decide to unscrew the drain plug to see if it's an anode, be sure the water is cold first.

Tom said:
If yours has an anode, it will be screwed in where the drain plug would normally be screwed in. The drain plug is often accessible from the outside of the RV. Some water heaters don't need an anode because the lining of the tank serves the same purpose.

One caveat: If you decide to unscrew the drain plug to see if it's an anode, be sure the water is cold first.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that. I didn't see an anode, so I guess the water is attacking the lining  :-\

Speaking of ...

When I went to drain the water out of my HW heater, my Pop told me that he has gotten in the habbit of draining his HW tank every time he parks his trailer. He's installed a valve where the drain plug was to make the job that much easier. I too have now done the same thing ( like father like son ) only I installed one of those John Guest fittings and some 1/4 tube with a valve at the end of it so that when I drain my heater it'll drain away from the trailer rather than in the little door area. Seems to work pretty good. If you guy's would like to see it, I can take some pics the next time I'm there.

.... so I guess the water is attacking the lining

That's what it's designed to do; The lining has sacrificial anode material (zinc?) as a component of the surface. This applies only to tanks manufactured by Atwood. If you have a Suburban, it should have an anode.

...I can take some pics the next time I'm there.

Yes please!

Ok. I'll be down there in a week or so. I'll take a couple of pics then.

washtubman said:
Can someone explain why there is not a controllable thermostat on motorhome water heaters?  The water gets hotter than one needs and thus seems like a waste of energy.  Hope you all have a great day! :)

The older manual light heaters had adjustable thermostats for temp. One had detents where you could rotate a wheel to set the temp. Newer ones had a lever that could be moved. All the auto light units I have seen do not have an adjustment. I believe there are two thermostats available, one is 120 degrees and the other is 140. Neither can be changed and are controlled by the circuit.  I'm guessing at the temps  right now but pretty sure that's true.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom