Water Heater Reverse Polarity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truline

I recently replaced the heating in my water heater (Suburban 6DWE). Everything has been really great! In fact we have not had to use the propane side of the water heater since we replaced the heating element. Today I have a strange issue. We camped this past weekend and when we got home I went to plug in the rig and the surge protector indicated a reverse polarity issue. It has not been there before, it has been normal. I did some troubleshooting and have determined that it is the water heater, electrical side. How does a device that has been working correctly all of a sudden develop a reverse polarity issue? I've run into these before and it is usually immediate after reactivating a circuit. I am unsure as to how this could happen except perhaps a cut in a hot wire causing a strand touch anothe strand in a neutral wire allowing enough voltage to to go down the neutral to trigger the sensor to light. Anyone else ever have this happen?

The "surge protector" looks at power from the house/pedestal, etc, not from the camper. Is this the type of device that analyzes the circuits and only then allows the power to flow? more info is needed on the brand and model of "surge protector" and also how you determined it is the water heater.

Charles

The element in the water heater cares not about polarity.. It's isolated from ground.
The surge guard looks at 3 wires.. Hot, Neutral and Ground and if the Neutral/Ground voltage is other than zero.. REVERSE POLAEITY is indicated... A weak (but not open) connection on either of those leads will pop the indicator..... When it happened to me it was the neutral wire per the technician who tightened the screw (Park side issue)

I agree with others, you're looking for something on the shore/house side of the equation. Don't neglect the plug assembly/ies for your surge protector and/or any extensions you are using between the surge protector and the shore power. I've had one split apart inside the plug itself and cause issues.

If you were to reverse polarity your water heater, would it freeze the water?
When I was a teenager it was common in the town for pipes to freeze under/in a house. A friend of dads' had a welding shop and during freezing weather he would take his Lincoln buzz-box and thaw frozen pipes for people.
He said one time he had just finished thawing out pipes and handed the bill to the owner. The owner had a fit about the money, so Dad's friend shouted loudly, reverse the leads on the welder and freeze the pipes back up, he won't pay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom