Water in propane lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rsnyder1976 said:
I was up in PA this weekend camping and the lines froze again, I think I am going to inject some rubbing alcohol in the lines and let it sit for a while, blow it out with dry air and hopefully it will take care of it for good. Any other ideas before I take it to a propane supplier for a check up?

Sorry it is acting up again.  Might be a good idea to have it checked out by a professional.

I know you said you had the tank purged, if that means the "professional" cracked the bleeder and let some gas blow out, it is  not  likely you fixed anything!

copied from my prior post.
As for a propane tank I do not think purging a tank with propane will remove the water, If the tank is empty you could purge the tank with dry air/gas ( not air compressor air)  then add a pint of alcohol for every 30 to 50 gallon capacity then purge with propane for a very short time to get the air out then filler up. As the propane is used the alcohol will dry out the lines. It is possible you got a big load of water at one of your fill ups, you can empty the tank of gas then remove a tank fitting (if you have access to the tank) and see if you have water in the tank, or just pull the tank and dump it. Good luck!

It was purged by southern states, they put about a pound of fuel in it, put a nozzle on it and let it blow off upside down. I believe all the water is out of the tank I think there is a small amount left in the lines. When the unit sits for a day or two what water that is left in the lines is collecting at the lowest point. I was thinking that if I put a small amount of alcohol in the lines let it sit for a day or two and then blow it all out it would dry all the water out and the alcohol would evaporate.

It's worth a try to do that.  I can't think of any way for water to get into the lines except from the tank, so it has to be water that is left from before.

The regulator is another place where water could accumulate and dribble out.

I know I am bringing a topic back from the dead but I wanted to see if blowing out the lines solved the problem.

I have been having issues getting my stove to light and it usually goes out. Once I can get it to light it starts to pull propane and then it starts to pull more and more through until I get mostly a full high flame. Once it is pulling it is fine. I just had the regulator replaced in April and haven't had a tank filled up since February and they are still half full but I am getting a bubbling / gurgling at the regulator which makes me think there is water in the lines. I just had my 100lb winter tank filled and started running off of it instead of the 30lb tanks.

If blowing out the lines works then I will try it but it sounds like I have water around the regulator if not in it.

Thanks,
Chris

The water usually mixes with oily residue in the propane and makes a black oily glob, which can clog a regulator or the burner orifices in any appliance. Some of it may get through the regulator and lay in the pipes, so blowing them out is standard practice if oil/water is suspected.  But blowing out the pipes does no good until the dirty tank is purged - you just get more gunk in the next few weeks or months, as you use more propane.

DO NOT PUT ALCOHOL in the propane tank or regulator.  Ware or moisture is COMMON in propane.  Propane is typically stored in underground caverns, then removed and placed in bulk tanks and METHANOL is added to absorb the moisture.  Methanol is also placed in the transport tankers, bobtail delivery trucks and the cylinders and tanks.  If you are seeing posture in the line, have a propane professional inject methanol into the tank through the service valve.  They can also run it through the regulator.  I am a propane professional.

Methanol or alcohol(ethanol) shouldn?t matter.  I agree methanol is a better choice (slightly more polar hence attracts water better) but ethanol will attract and bond to the water just fine......same reason ethanol based fuel is stupid but I digress. The key point however is whichever you use it need be anhydrous (ie pure alcohol, no water) or you are just adding more water to the system.  Golden Grain or Everclear (95% - 190 proof) is the purest alcohol I can think of offhand that the general public can easily buy. I thought rubbing alcohol may be higher but just checked a bottle on the shelf and its 91%. Im guessing the methanol a propane service shop has is true anhydrous (ie no water) and your best bet. I actually got curious and tried to find the methanol grade use in propane but basic search could not find it.

Raptor

Sigma Aldrich sells 1 liter of 99.9% methanol (analytical grade) for 60 bucks. Not sure if they will let a private individual order it or not.

Raptor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom