Water Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammer1

Does anyone know how to access the water lines on a Winnebago  2011 Vista 26P?  We noted water in the carpet in the bedroom directly behine the toilet. I removed the shelf board under the cabinet, but could not see back under the toilet from this vantage point. As long as we only use the on board pump, the wetness is minimized. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit by John:  changed message icon to Topic Solved

There is a plastic vacuum breaker on the backside of my Sealand toilet that I have replaced twice due to it leaking ONLY while flushing. The plumbing on mine is partially concealed in the removeable plastic shroud around the base of the toilet.

Just as a preliminary measure, it sounds like you may have an over pressure situation while hooked up to city water. Are you using any kind of pressure regulator on your in coming city water line?  Most systems are good for about 50-60 psi with no problems.  Your water pump is probably in the 40 psi range.  Check the pressure first, then start poking at the toilet. 

What model is the toilet installed in your rig? Many Winnebago's use Thetford toilets.  Find the model # if you can.

I can now see there are screws where the toilet is mounted on the platform. Can the platform be raised without 1st removing the toilet? I am using a pressure regulator, but will check to ensure it's still functioning, since it does have some age on it. We turned the onboard pump off & on as we needed water to avoid water damage. Thanks ever so much for your thoughts, at least I have a starting point.

hammer1 said:
I can now see there are screws where the toilet is mounted on the platform. Can the platform be raised without 1st removing the toilet?

It depends. The toilet usually mounts to a toilet flange which has the toilet bolts sticking up from it. The flange is securely glued to the waste pipe that descends into the black holding tank.  If you can, reach behind the toilet to check that the water supply line is tight.  It is usually a plastic fitting that is twisted on by hand pressure only.  Use a mirror to see behind the toilet if it's tight quarters.

hammer1 said:
Does anyone know how to access the water lines on a Winnebago  2011 Vista 26P?  We noted water in the carpet in the bedroom directly behind the toilet.

Do you have a sprayer hose on your toilet? When we got our Itasca Suncruiser, we found that the spray head leaked slightly and made the carpet behind the toilet wet. We solved the problem by setting a glass behind the toilet and placing the spray head in the glass. It never leaked enough to fill the glass but we watched it carefully for a few months. The leak eventually cured itself.

Richard

I also think you should look carefully at the spray hose before you start a complicated search. I found the clamp at the toilet end of the spray hose has loosened, the fix was an easy tightening.

No sprayer on the toilet, which we surely miss. Can feel what appears to be holding bolts on the back, but no water lines. Looks like this is going to be another 8 hour round trip to the dealer. Our local Winnebago dealer closed a couple months after our purchase. Thank you all so very much for your input.

If it is out of warranty there is no need to take it to a Winnebago dealer. Are there any other RV dealers close to you or a mobile RV tech?

Yes, Thanks John. There's one in Tallahassee. I'll give them a call & hope they have a tech familiar with Winnebago.

It's probably more important that they are familiar with the toilet. We don't go back to the original builder with our regular houses, no real need to go back to a manufacturer specific repair facility except when it involves unique and or proprietary devices or systems.

Thanks to all that responded & came to our aid with this issue. The leak got worse & we took coach to Horizon RV in Lake Park, Georgia. The tech said the valve that the water line connected to on the rear of the Thetford Aqua Magic V was cracked. Only 11,549 miles on this 2011 coach & we were disappointed to say the least. I ask if this was normal for such a short time & was told, it's just plastic!! At any rate, in the shop at 9:00 & out at 9:40 with a bill of $106.35. Again, thanks to all that guided us to other area's where we may have repaired it ourselves.

I'm not really sure how many miles you have on the chassis has to do with the toilet valve leaking?  Maybe I'm missing something, dunno.
Anyhow, the valve is plastic and does fail, big deal.  I replaced mine at the beach once for a total cost of around 30 dollars plus about 15 minutes of my time.  It is extremely simple to do and only takes a screw driver.  So you paid for an hour of labor.  Probably their minimum rate?  That is one thing about an RV unless you learn to do maintenance work yourself, you have to expect to pay a lot of cash for everything to get done for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowtoast
Back
Top Bottom