Water Line Connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisterMaster

I have 2018 Riverside RV Retro. For the most part the water line is braided pvc tubing, but at some connections the water line is PEX. This appears factory, it occurs at every ball valve. My question is, what kind of fittings do I use for repairs? It looks like the ID for PEX and braided pvc are different. I’ve attached a picture for reference. Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• A59360CB-D39A-4FC8-B8A1-9810ED52B139.jpeg
    A59360CB-D39A-4FC8-B8A1-9810ED52B139.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 30
As you see on your 90 degree elbows, the braided and the pex seem to work on the same fittings. I guess I'd need to know what you had in mind, then maybe better suggestions.

I just need to know what kind of fittings to use. From my understanding, standard PEX fittings are too large for the braided pvc, and standard braided pvc fittings are too small for PEX. I’m assuming there is a specific fitting for this application, I just don’t know what it is.

This really depends on what you are needing to fix, there is no one right answer, my coach uses primarily PEX lines, so I carry a few PEX sharkbite fitting and a good pex cutter tool, sharkbite fittings are not cheap, but you don't need a crimp tool with them, which can be real handy working inside cabinets where there is no room to use the crimp tool.

In the picture I attached you can see where a couple 90s go from PEX to braided PVC. What fitting would that be?
Sharkbites for sure wouldn’t work on the braided pvc.

Pex fitting works fine on pvc hose. You can heat/warm the hose if needed to press the fitting in. Have done a lot of work on both on our trailer...

Pex fitting works fine on pvc hose. You can heat/warm the hose if needed to press the fitting in. Have done a lot of work on both on our trailer...
So you are saying to use PEX barb fittings? Plastic or brass? And what rings do you use?

So you are saying to use PEX barb fittings? Plastic or brass? And what rings do you use?
Pex fittings, either plastic or brass (I've used both). On the pvc hose you can either use hose clamp or also compression rings (if you have the tool). I have used all combinations. For the pex end obviously you use pex rings. Just like in the picture you have posted.

I'm having a hard time believing that the manufacturer used that braided tubing on the super hot water side. I would think that would be a real problem with durability of the hose.

Charles

Pex fittings, either plastic or brass (I've used both). On the pvc hose you can either use hose clamp or also compression rings (if you have the tool). I have used all combinations. For the pex end obviously you use pex rings. Just like in the picture you have posted.
Thanks. I’ll try this.

I'm having a hard time believing that the manufacturer used that braided tubing on the super hot water side. I would think that would be a real problem with durability of the hose.

Charles
It’s the same way on the water pump. PEX where there are valves, braided everywhere else. The person that owned it before me (who purchased it new) said the only thing he had replaced was the toilet valve.

Braided line usually gets what I call a bayonet fitting (The ribbed fittings with a hose clamp over them) PEX. When the Shark Bites, Into Pex Dear, Water leaks, Go away
When the shark bites into Pex dear, the connection, is here to stay.

(Tune Mack the Knife) Sharkbite.

Back
Top Bottom