water valve to water heater leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyjff1

I don?t know if this has come before. The inlet valve going into hot water heater has sprung a leak on the body. We are leaving to go boondocking and the wife want hot water as we will be gone for 2 weeks. I don?t have time to repair ,so does anyone know a temporary fix?

shadyjff1 said:
I don?t know if this has come before. The inlet valve going into hot water heater has sprung a leak on the body. We are leaving to go boondocking and the wife want hot water as we will be gone for 2 weeks. I don?t have time to repair ,so does anyone know a temporary fix?

I would never rely on a Band-Aid fix on a pressurized water system. It could totally fail when you least expect it. I would remove the valve, take it to a RV store (or Amazon) and pick up a new one. You'll sleep better at night knowing.

Agree with Ren?. Valve on the input? Is that valve part of the bypass system?? Some of the systems have a check valve there but...

Simply bypass it for now if you can, a lot less to worry about. Just take the necessary parts/tools with you and do it on site if necessary.

Would have to look at my valves. If they are removable or not. If not get a Sharkbite valve (home Depot/Lowes/Mennards and some better hardware stores).  Takes less than 5 minutes to do the job.

Cut pex at band.. remove valve.  Shove sharkbite onto one pipe till it stops. give it a 'Bump" with heal on hand (should go about another quarter inch or so) insert other pipe. likewise "Bump" job done.  Get the removal tool and tape it or zip tie it to the pipe near the valve.

Thanks guys. I have it bypassed with no leaks, but I was hoping to get hot water for the wife when we are on the road. So cold showers it is. I?ll have to build a whole new bypass water line system when I get home. The pex hose is too short to splice in so I will rebuild everything with better valves

shadyjff1 said:
Thanks guys. I have it bypassed with no leaks, but I was hoping to get hot water for the wife when we are on the road. So cold showers it is. I?ll have to build a whole new bypass water line system when I get home. The pex hose is too short to splice in so I will rebuild everything with better valves

How bad is the leak? If it's just a occasional drip, can you put a cookie sheet under it to catch the water?  Then just start the heater long enough to take a shower then shut it off and bypass.

The valve body is cracked and it's pissing out. May try to silicon it and add tape or rubber hose. Then do as you say, open, heat, close, and shower. If that does not work I will have a dirty girl on my hands. I'M OK with that.

take tools and supplies, you'll have time to repair while boondocking  :))    You might be ok with a dirty girl, she might not  :eek:

If you are boondocking, then you will be running off the internal pump in your unit. Just turn the pump off when you are not using it.

Back
Top Bottom