water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vgilbertson

Evening
1995 Catalina Sport.
Last trip my water pump started running for second every once in a while. This weekend it will run for a second wait a couple minutes and run again, sometimes it does not do it at all. This morning I noticed that the fresh water tank was almost gone and the gray tank was almost full. I have been out here myself and know I haven't used 20 gals of water. There are no dripping faucets in the kitchen or bath, is there a bypass that may allow the water into the tank?

Thanks

Vern

Generally there is no way for water to get from the fresh tank into the grey tank without going down a drain. Either sink or shower is usually the only way to the grey tank.

What SargeW says.

However, the frequent blip of the pump indicates that there is a leak somewhere. Water is trickling from the fresh lines somewhere, causing the pressure to drop and triggering the pump. If that water is ending up in the gray tank, it must be going down a drain somewhere.

We have a similar unit, and can confirm what Gary and sarge have said, there is no overflow or way water can get direct from the fresh water tank to the grey tank.  My initial though was that the toilet was leaking, but that would fill the black tank.

Ed

Agree with others re: can't get water into gray unless it's going down a sink or shower drain, and you'd see one of those dripping. 

RE: the short blips of the pump - that indicates that you have lost your "accumulator", or air cushion.  If you have NO accumulation, even a very slow drip would cause the pump to run.  Another indicator is if your pump "short-cycles" - on and off rapdily when you're running water.  In many rigs, the accumulator is a head of air at the top of your hot water tank.  You can get that back by turning off your pump, opening a hot water valve, and draining water from the bottom drain of your hot water heater, sucking air back into it.  I had to do that often, until I finally added an accumulator tank.  Easy to install into a cold water line under a sink or anywhere you can access the fittings.    Available at any RV store or online.  Little plastic thing, maybe a quart size overall that has a rubber bladder that keeps air on one side.

The fact that the pump is running at all does possibly indicate a leak.  If so, you should be finding water somewhere.  If you are not finding water under a cabinet or running out of your rig somewhere, it's possible that the check valve in your pump is allowing pressure to bleed back into your fresh tank.  If you're lucky, like I just was, it was not that, it was my city/fill valve.  I simply moved it to the other position (darn - I forget which right now!) and my pump cycling stopped.  Water was seeping back through that valve in the one position.  Give that a try.  Can't get easier than that!  I was ready to pull my pump out when a Forum friend here suggested that to me.  This place rocks!

Gordon

I checked the water tank when I got home yeasterday - it was still 1/2 full and the gray water tank was no longer showing full so that had to be an error on the sensor. Can find no water leaking out anyplace so will try drain the HWH and see if that does it.

Thanks

AS others have said. When pump runs it is to replace water that has been turned on somewhere or is replacing water that is leaking somewhere. I had that problem not long ago and water was leaking out of cold water line under my shower. Only way for water to get in gray tank is from a drain. Just my $.02

An easier way to restore the air pocket in the water heater is to drain your fresh water hose (i.e. make it full of air), connect it up and turn on the shore water spigot.

Now go in the rig and open a HOT water faucet.  The air in the hose will be drawn into the hot water tank, restoring the air pocket.

Lou Schneider said:
An easier way to restore the air pocket in the water heater is to drain your fresh water hose (i.e. make it full of air), connect it up and turn on the shore water spigot.

Now go in the rig and open a HOT water faucet.  The air in the hose will be drawn into the hot water tank, restoring the air pocket.

Brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom