We are looking into a Canada Visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty Traveler

As stated, we are looking into a drive across Canada. We will be driving up from Florida. No dates have been set and it may not happen this year. Our 2021 Galleria is a diesel holding 30 Gallons. We did once look into the train across Canada, but to many stops and go's, with disembarking at each stop. "too crazy for us" We talked about the three points of entry shown by the red arrows. Then on the exit, we would drive down to see the grandchildren in Utah. Stay a few weeks and drive back to Florida. Suggestions, thoughts, questions? Let's see, I think my question hits all the 5-Ws, Who - the two of us folks in our 70s, What - Canada, When - Unknown, and the Where is on the MAP. As for Why - never been, we have wanted to visit

Cananda Trip.jpg

I've always wanted to visit the Maritimes but thats a whole trip unto itself.

Charles
Oh wow, YES, and very true, but way more than we're interested in visiting on the East Coast near Maine. We were also looking to avoid the heavily populated areas. We want to see Canada, the country, not the cities and ship traffic.

I can think of a bunch of interesting places but my first recommendation will always be Quebec City Quebec. Stay in a campground in Levi on the south side of the river and just take the walk on ferry across the river. You’ll walk off the Ferry in old town Quebec. Like going to Europe. Enjoy.

We did the reverse of this in 2022, but you've missed what we consider a great entry point at Sault st Marie on the great lakes.
We had intended on going right over to Halifax Nova Scotia but cut our journey short due to the distance and the ridiculous price of fuel compared to the US.
Ontario and the lakes are stunning, but the drive through Manitoba and Saskatchewan is rather boring. Once you enter Alberta it's a whole different ball game.
We could nearly write it book about the Canadian Rockies having toured them 8 times with A,C class and our fifth wheel. There's several ways from Jasper to Vancouver and we've done pretty much all of them.
Our favourite is Revelstoke and down the Arrow Lakes, across to Kelowna and through Manning's park.
There's very little free camping to be found but there are some campgrounds that are little gems
Will you have a toad or just an RV?

Last edited:
Biggest tip, look for gas stations owned by first Nations. Around 25 cents per litre cheaper than other gas stations in the area.

What no WAWAs, here on Florida's West Coast we seem to have WAWA full-service center at every turn. Some good road food snacks. But, good, to know as I'm entering it into my "Check Log Book" for when we hit the road. YES, the fuel prices have gone through the roof.

As a resident in the GTA (greater Toronto area) my warning would to avoid this area, or budget to take the toll highway 407 all the way through. The 401 can be truly hellish. It’s the busiest highway in the world.

As a resident in the GTA (greater Toronto area) my warning would to avoid this area, or budget to take the toll highway 407 all the way through. The 401 can be truly hellish. It’s the busiest highway in the world.
Took 401 last August----never, never, again!!! It is basically a freeway with 5 lanes on either side. Then to add to the confusion and cement, there are 3-4 lane "side" freeways, where we would have "surface roads" on either side of those! All of those are packed with cars and trucks and driving very fast, which is extremely scary.

I had driven to and through Toronto many times, but not in the past 25 years. HUGE DIFFERENCE TODAY!!! It makes Boston, Atlanta, and the California Bay Area look easy.

I am surprised that you have an RV with only a 30 gallon fuel tank! We did most of that trip but with a 75 gallon fuel tank. The Maritime Provinces are especially fascinating. My favorite part was the people of Prince Edward Island but the scenery is great in all of them. We also found the old city of Quebec to be wonderful! It is the only walled city ever built in the Americas. Montreal was interesting but unfriendly. Ottawa is the most unique national capitol that we have ever visited. We liked the fact that while it has the trappings expected in a national capitol, it is a relatively small city. We exited back to the USA at St Sault Marie. Later we visited the Vancouver area also but we have not traveled much in between the two.

My suggestion is to enter via I15 into Alberta, then to Calgary and across to Banff & Jasper, then from there into and around BC, eventually exiting to the USA on I5. Or vice versa. There is a huge amount to see in that region and easily several weeks if done at a leisurely rate (which I also recommend).

We took 2 months from Penticton BC to Sault st Marie.

I am surprised that you have an RV with only a 30 gallon fuel tank! We did most of that trip but with a 75 gallon fuel tank. The Maritime Provinces are especially fascinating. My favorite part was the people of Prince Edward Island but the scenery is great in all of them. We also found the old city of Quebec to be wonderful! It is the only walled city ever built in the Americas. Montreal was interesting but unfriendly. Ottawa is the most unique national capitol that we have ever visited. We liked the fact that while it has the trappings expected in a national capitol, it is a relatively small city. We exited back to the USA at St Sault Marie. Later we visited the Vancouver area also but we have not traveled much in between the two.
His RV is built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis… 30 gallons is probably right.

I see some major problems with the route indicated, as you will miss some must do areas and some of your trip will be mile upon miles of forest. As others have indicated, there is a lot to see east of your proposed starting point, ie the Maritimes and Quebec City, including Gross Isle National Park, through which a majority is Potato Famine immigrants entered Canada and the US.
That said, you really do not want to take the northern route trough Northern Ontario, you will miss Sudbury, Sault Ste Marie, Wawa and the north shore of Lake Superior. By heading directly to Edmonton you will bypass Calgary, and Drumhiller, the home of the Royal Tyrell Museum & the Bad Lands, must see areas. Then up through Banff & Jasper, also must see areas, then over to Vancouver.
You don't say where in Florida your starting point is, but even by cutting out Quebec City, one way is around 4300 miles one way, plus any side trips.
We have done it, but over several trips, to do it justice you are looking at several months.

Ed

I've always wanted to visit the Maritimes but thats a whole trip unto itself.

Charles
If you are a military veteran, check out smartrving.org. This is for US and Canadian military veterans and AD. They have the lowest pricing for organized caravans within North America. One of the reasons_ SMART is a non-profit organization, caravan leaders nor tailgunners are paid, they are reimbursed fuel expenses only; not much for the work and planning they accomplish.
We've been to AK and Canada Maritimes in their caravan tours, but haven't been in one of their U.S.A. caravan.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to enter via I15 into Alberta, then to Calgary and across to Banff & Jasper, then from there into and around BC, eventually exiting to the USA on I5. Or vice versa. There is a huge amount to see in that region and easily several weeks if done at a leisurely rate (which I also recommend).
So you would "not" suggest going from Port Heron to Alberta, but rather head directly to Alberta as there would be lots to see?

What you would like to see when in Canada very much depends on how long you intend to be in the country.
It's a very long drive from Florida to the border, and to give you some idea, we did around 5000 miles from Penticton to SSM, including trips out without the fifth wheel during the two months.
There is lots to see in Alberta and British Columbia, but that's not to say the Eastern side of Canada isn't equally as worthy in it's own way.

So you would "not" suggest going from Port Heron to Alberta, but rather head directly to Alberta as there would be lots to see?
Depends on how much time you have to spend and what you find interesting to see. Alberta & BC are fabulous for terrain & wildlife sightseeing and well-worth several weeks. More to see & do than the Great Lakes region, but that doesn't mean that area isn't attractive too. It's a long way from the Lakes region to western Canada and not a lot to see along the way, i.e. a lot of plains and forests.
You are also talking about driving from Florida to Canada to get started, plus some weeks in Utah (and what about the sights there?) and a looong drive back to Florida. That's easily a 5 month trip unless you drive long distances most days. Not my idea of a fun trip, but everyone is different.

I recall leaving our Florida home in late April for a tour of BC & Alaska, with some visits with friends along the way. We got back home in early November.

As some have mentioned, the Banff/Jasper highway is a great drive. Lots of potential to see wild life in the Jasper area. There is also Lake Louise and Moraine Lake (far nicer than Lake Louise in my opinion). Word of warning, try to avoid these areas in July and August. They are crawling with tourists and you might even get turned away at Lake Louise. The only way to get to Moraine is via a bus. If you can do it in September, that would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom