Weird Engine Problem Triton V-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherediney

I am hoping someone out there has heard of this issue.  2004 Four Winds 32 ft Hurricane.  Triton V-10 Engine with 28,000 miles on it.  At about 25,000 we started having the following issue.  Driving at highway speed (maybe 55ish) all of a sudden the RV feels like it loses about 25% power, oil light comes on, temperature guage goes to HOT and service engine soon light comes on.  We pull over, turn RV off and open hood.  It is not overheating and all looks fine.  When we restart the engine all guages are back to normal, except the service engine soon light remains on.  It happened first on a 2000 mile trip and we decided to change the oil as it was close to due.  It didn't happen again then for about 1200 miles, and then it happened about 8-10 times on the final two days of the trip.  We took it to Ford and they said they couldn't reproduce it, so couldn't fix it.  That said we went on a short 60 mile trip this past week.  It happened once on the way out and twice wad the way home.  I called Ford again and was told if the check engine light was on, they could hook it up to a computer????  I'm taking it in Monday!  Any thoughts?  I'm tired of freaking out and finding places to pull over!

I agree with Gary.  It sounds like the oil sensor lead might be opening (or shorting) causing a low oil pressure signal to be sent to the computer which might cause it to go into "limp in" mode.  But, the high temp reading has me puzzled.  I guess, if I was working on it, I'd look for a common ground or voltage source for the oil light circuit and the temp gauge.

When you take it to Ford, be sure to ask them what the error code was.

Thanks for the input guys.  At least I will have a starting point for a conversation tomorrow.  Appreciate it!  Sheree

Just an update... Although we do not have the coach back yet.  The Ford diagnostics showed three problems.... the thermostat, an ignition coil, and the fuel pump....  keep your fingers crossed.  :)

I sounds like an induced limp mode due to a short to ground on one of the gauge cluster wires or the ribbon strip. Hard to tell without looking at it but you stated that it was not overheating but the gauge said it was. A short to ground on the temp gauge would cause a max reading and could cause a limp mode by the ECM. Same story on the oil pressure gauge and you are still driving so I assume there is no bad noises coming from the engine that would indicate low oil pressure. These 2 gauges could share a circuit in the ribbon strip on the gauge cluster which could cause them both to act weird at the same time. I would guess the thermostat needs to be changed anyway so no harm there although I am sure it is a techs translation of the high temp code in the ECM. The ignition coil may have not been fired by the ECM during the limp mode so it is showing a code. The fuel pump is a tough one, there is no pressure sensor for the fuel system on that engine configuration that I am aware of so I don't know what would show a bad Fuel pump unless again a tech is translating the low power or a lean code for a bad fuel pump.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. I have a similar coach and am very interested in this type of diagnostic stuff.

Wayne

Sherediney said:
When we restart the engine all guages are back to normal, except the service engine soon light remains on.  It happened first on a 2000 mile trip and we decided to change the oil as it was close to due.  It didn't happen again then for about 1200 miles, and then it happened about 8-10 times on the final two days of the trip.  We took it to Ford and they said they couldn't reproduce it, so couldn't fix it.
Do you know what the OBD2 code was, that caused your "check engine" light to come on? That could give your main clue.

I don't buy that the "thermostat, an ignition coil, and the fuel pump" all crapped out at the same time and intermittently.

-Don-​

I found the "scan gauge II" computer http://www.scangauge.com/ very useful. Only a few hundred dollars, plug n play for the most part.
Use the scan tool to give you a reading of all error codes which you can then look up for self diagnoses. You can also reset error codes & turn off check engine light.
Choose and display any 4 built in digital gauges at a time from the built in or program new gauges. I found this little device indispensable. Best of luck.

rving said:
I found the "scan gauge II" computer http://www.scangauge.com/ very useful. Only a few hundred dollars, plug n play for the most part.
Use the scan tool to give you a reading of all error codes which you can then look up for self diagnoses. You can also reset error codes & turn off check engine light.
Choose and display any 4 built in digital gauges at a time from the built in or program new gauges. I found this little device indispensable. Best of luck.
I've got one of those in my RV too. But you can get a simple OBD2 reader for about $25.00 on E-Bay that can get the code and reset the MIL.

-Don-​

Sherediney said:
Just an update... Although we do not have the coach back yet.  The Ford diagnostics showed three problems.... the thermostat, an ignition coil, and the fuel pump....  keep your fingers crossed.  :)
When I had my 1999 Coachmen Class C on the first time out I had the same problem. The computer took over and it went in limp mode enough to get it off the road. Had it towed to the dealer and the thermostat and O-Ring was replaced (it had overheated) Now it's still running.......................Jim

Back
Top Bottom