Well this sucks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STonyG

Thursday our MH had small fire that burned the main chassis wiring loom. the fire was caused by the power steering splitting and spraying fluid on the exhaust manifold.
The insurance appraiser said it is repairable, replacing the hose and the wiring loom. it was towed to my mechanics shop, all 30 feet.

My mechanic took a look while waiting for the appraiser and he came up with the same conclusion.

My question: is there any thing I should have my mechanic look for?

Insurance is not going to total the coach.   

Definitely a bummer, but sounds like it was confined to the engine compartment which is good. RV fires usually don't end well.

I would think you should look for anything that shows the slightest heat damage (wires, hoses, etc). You may want to replace any insulation in the compartment (damaged or not), as it could retain smoke smell which could permeate the coach and will never go away.

Back2PA said:
Definitely a bummer, but sounds like it was confined to the engine compartment which is good. RV fires usually don't end well.

I would think you should look for anything that shows the slightest heat damage (wires, hoses, etc). You may want to replace any insulation in the compartment (damaged or not), as it could retain smoke smell which could permeate the coach and will never go away.

Good call, thanks.

Utclmjmpr said:
The way your post is written,, you seem to WANT it totaled.>>>Dan

Really, not at all. Paid off, not too much goes wrong, knock on wood. Sorry if it sounded that way. just looking for input from the forum.

The wring harness replacement is fairly straight forward.  IF he can get a replacement harness it's plug and play. if not so long as the ends of the wires (last six inches or so) are not fried he's good.

Hose replacement is also easy.. You can talk to him about a hose upgrade.

I"ve seen PS hoses 18 years old NOT split. (My car)  Never seen one split. did have a carb leak gas and start a fire though.

The hoses on my American coach are 23 years and going strong,,it's all about what was used,,how they were run,,(protected),, and the design engineering used.>>>Dan

Do not accept a spliced in wiring loom. Crimp connectors are a major fail point. Wiring should be continuous from connector to connector.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom