West Florida I-10 corridor quick camp spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoBenny

Hi folks, I am prepping to run from this storm coming into the gulf in a few days.
I cannot find much in or close by this area in the rectangle for a two day stop.
I could go further north, just trying to stay along I-10 somewhere so I can do a quick turn-around back.
Just a place to power up, I am not concerned with the rest.
Can do no power if necessary.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzz110.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzz110.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 21
I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't suggest anything.

So far, the forecast, shows the highest probability of landfall for the storm (Invest 99L) along the Texas-Louisiana coastline. Very low chance that it move eastwards to Pensacola, so I think the proposed campsite would be reasonably away from the storm.

However, they encourage to monitor the development of the system in the Gulf and to keep an eye on updates.

Attachments

• DCT_SPECIAL37_1280x720.jpg
    DCT_SPECIAL37_1280x720.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
Head east not north. You will have plenty of time to figure out how far east to go. There are lots of options including rest areas. State parks in Florida are now charging $7 extra per day and will evacuate the park if a watch is changed to a warning. Most rest areas in florida will accommodate you if you talk to management there to explain. Rest areas are better and safer because they are free and provide easy exit to highway if needed.

I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't suggest anything.

So far, the forecast, shows the highest probability of landfall for the storm (Invest 99L) along the Texas-Louisiana coastline. Very low chance that it move eastwards to Pensacola, so I think the proposed campsite would be reasonably away from the storm.

However, they encourage to monitor the development of the system in the Gulf and to keep an eye on updates.
The park I am currently in will close if Tropical Storm warnings go up, at this distance it is almost a given on the windward side. Plus it's actual center formed further north and east than they had thought, these plots creeping to the east would not surprise me. GFS, EURO and CMC are all creeping east and agreeing strongly with each other. If they hop any further east on the next run I gotta get some solid plans in order.
1629986457663.png1629986087485.png1629986143218.png1629986201360.png

Thanks for these links!

Head east not north. You will have plenty of time to figure out how far east to go. There are lots of options including rest areas. State parks in Florida are now charging $7 extra per day and will evacuate the park if a watch is changed to a warning. Most rest areas in florida will accommodate you if you talk to management there to explain. Rest areas are better and safer because they are free and provide easy exit to highway if needed.
I cannot remember the MM or location, however on I 10 West of Tallahassee (S side of road) is a rest area with signage permitting over-nighting. State Patrol cruises through several times a night. The rest area is atop a hill best I remember.

East Bank Campground, near Chattahoochee, FL.... nice place.... no May Flies this time of year.

But I think I'd be going even further east to miss any possible change. Leave now.

I stopped at Hitchin Post several years ago right after the last hurricane through the area. The owner said it took three days to chainsaw their way out to the road. Nice folks. It might be a little tight for a big rig; I'm 36' plus toad.
Eagles Landing has lots of space. Both these are very close to I-10.
Beware that these may quickly fill up with claims adjustors if the storm comes close.

Only Just considering places I've stayed, not looking at online directories which I'm sure you have done....

we stayed a night at Cypress Landing Marina and RV Park. Pretty sure its in your square...nah scratch that it's North of your box. Nice little place though.

FL Caverns SP is a little East of your box

Got it...Falling Waters State Park, we overnighted there on a trip. Not far off the highway. It's a State Park, like all the others....

I cannot remember the MM or location, however on I 10 West of Tallahassee (S side of road) is a rest area with signage permitting over-nighting. State Patrol cruises through several times a night. The rest area is atop a hill best I remember.
It may be the Quincy rest stop at the Apalachicola river (MM161) I remember it well because when I was studying Landscape Architecture at the University of Florida, we had a design exercise to design a rest stop at that location, on the high bluff overlooking the river.

It may be the Quincy rest stop at the Apalachicola river (MM161) I remember it well because when I was studying Landscape Architecture at the University of Florida, we had a design exercise to design a rest stop at that location, on the high bluff overlooking the river.
I just looked with Google maps, that is the rest area that had over-nighting permitted and patrolled by state police signage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OhDis
Back
Top Bottom