What can I pull with my F-150 1/2ton?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancha71

Will be looking to upgrade my KZ Coyote 23CT  (GVWR 5,512 lbs) and am wondering what I can pull with my new Ford F-150 Lariat that came with a 5.0L V-8, towing package.  The F-150 pulls this KZ with ease. Research indicates I can pull 9300 pounds but I wouldn't go any higher than 8,300.Lots of discussion about 1/2 ton towable and limits. is there a website that I can plug in my vehicle specifications and get a list of possible RV's that I can pull?

Pulling isn't the problem , stopping is.  I pulled my 24ft car hauler ( VW Beetle inside with race gear) with my F150 until I had to panic stop one time and yes it did have brakes on the trailer . I pull it with my 250 now .  Mike McCarthy

ancha71 said:
Will be looking to upgrade my KZ Coyote 23CT  (GVWR 5,512 lbs) and am wondering what I can pull with my new Ford F-150 Lariat that came with a 5.0L V-8, towing package.  The F-150 pulls this KZ with ease. Research indicates I can pull 9300 pounds but I wouldn't go any higher than 8,300.Lots of discussion about 1/2 ton towable and limits. is there a website that I can plug in my vehicle specifications and get a list of possible RV's that I can pull?

A 9300 lbs tow rating would indicate that you have a "Super Cab" configuration with a 3.55:1 rear end, a 163 inch wheel base and 2x4 drive.  (See Ford chart)  Right?
With that number in mind look for trailers with a GVWR of less than 8370 lbs.  That allows 10% for truck cargo and passengers beyond the standard 154-lb driver and full fuel and fluids.
If you are going to tow in the 11 western states make that maximum trailer GVWR no more than 7440 lbs.  That is needed to accommodate the high altitudes and long, long steep grades out here in the west.  A non-turbocharged engine loses 3% of rated HP for every 1000 feet of altitude.  Driving thru, say, Flagstaff AZ costs you 21% of your engine's HP rating.

Hey Carl,
Thanks for the feedback. My F-150 is a 4X4 with a 145" wheelbase and a 3.73:1 rear end.
Great information about travelling out West as that is what are in my travel plans. I may have to move up to a 3/4 ton but I'd sure hate to trade in this 1/2 ton beauty.

Another possibility is an F150 with the turbo-charged 3.5 V-6 EcoBoost engine.    The turbo lows the altitude effect to a trivial 1% per 1000 feet of altitude.    Of course a diesel is the best of all for towing at altitude.
Finally you could just keep your current baby and look for a trailer with a GVWR under 7440 lbs.  I suspect you will be able to find a decent floorplan with that limitation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom