What did you forget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex-Calif

So my first RV park is booked and aside from a few details the RV and bike trailer are gonna be good to go.

I browsed the checklist library and there are a couple of good ones for getting the RV ready to go and unplugging it to come home. But I didn't see anything on provisioning.

As a boat guy I am fairly familiar but obviously I am not 8 days at sea, 7 days in an RV park - LOL.

So simple question - On your first trips, what did you forget to bring along that you wish you had. Or on later trips what did you forget to pack?

Primarily interested in food, provisioning and galley equipment but maintenance and setup items would be useful as well.

My first trip was in 1978.. (Right after I got married)  We spent our honeymoon in a Tend in a KOA near Niagara falls..  Rained all weekend, did not get wet.  But what we forgot I can't recall :)

What a lot of folks do is to "camp" overnight in the driveway or at a very nearby park. This gets you started on "things I forgot."

There have been some other topics posted in the past about this very subject, though I think it's been a while. But things like hot pads, can openers, paring knife, napkins, salt & pepper, paper towels, toothbrush, cooking oil and spatulas have been mentioned.

Forgetting things is why I now have a complete set of ?stuff? in the motorhome separate from the ?stuff? in the house ?. Even when we tent camped, I had a box of ?stuff? we took separate from the things in the house. All I had to add was the specific foodstuffs.

I jot my dinner on paper, and put everything i need for that meal, from S&P, spices, pans, food, etc. Always reminds me of something I don't have packed yet. However, that being said, after we load camper for the first time... we never take anything out... to use in house. Over the years, I have finally purchased one for camper... ie coffee bean grinder, I was tired of remembering it. We camp often, when we get home, part of cleaning up camper is immediate restock of any item that is low... makes the next trip.. so much easier...  and I don't have to remember what is low.

I do have a list of food that I basically take everytime... not gourmet cook..

I found the easiest way not to forget item, is to leave in camper... however that being said, don't use it in months... out the door it goes.

Corkscrew.
We also have pots, pans, utensils, dishes, etc that stay in the motorhome.  The only thing we bring from the house are food and clothes.

I like the idea of moving in and living there for 4-5 days before departure - Thanks Larry! Might move in on the 20th. Departure is the 26th... Also probably oughta do a shake down drive towing the bike/trailer...

It's completely new and completely empty.  I already decided to have dedicated stuff in the RV. I have three duffel bags full of camping gear, folding tables, chairs etc. They might get permanent residence in the basement.

It's gonna be weird provisioning "real food" vs. camping food. I do a lot of dehydrated camping for space and longevity.

What are ya'll thoughts on glass - The PO left a lot of glassware that I pulled out and bleach/washed but I am thinking good quality plastic plates etc. We pretty much had a no glass policy on the boat with the exception of our coffee mugs. I can't drink my morning brew outta plastic but our travel cups are plastic...

Good tips so far (paper towels/corkscrew = facepalm...) - keep them coming!

Larry N. said:
What a lot of folks do is to "camp" overnight in the driveway or at a very nearby park. This gets you started on "things I forgot."

There have been some other topics posted in the past about this very subject, though I think it's been a while. But things like hot pads, can openers, paring knife, napkins, salt & pepper, paper towels, toothbrush, cooking oil and spatulas have been mentioned.

What are ya'll thoughts on glass
If you use glass, pack it carefully when setting up for travel. The closest to glass we normally use is Correlle Ware, which is extremely sturdy, but we normally use plastic tumblers, which are inexpensive at Walmart or Dollar stores. We even have thin, plastic but fancy "stem" glasses for wine and small (4 oz. or so) tumblers for juice. And we have a full set of microwaveable plates and bowls, along with regular metal flatware.

After all, there is at least a slight chance that a cabinet could come open on the road, and glass means breakage.

But like Pam, we have a full set of everything in the coach (yes, even a crockpot, toaster, etc.) so only need to load clothes, food and personal items (guitar, phone, computer, etc.).

A junk drawer.  Tape,scissors,batteries,string,paper clip,pen and paper,etc.  chip clips,clothespins,safety pins,etc.  flashlight,screwdrivers hammer,good pocket knife.  Bandaids. 

I was debating a toaster and smallish blender but they are really useful so I might do that. I am a big breakfast smoothie guy...

I am with you on the plastic ware - I was just concerned I was being too conservative and everyone else traveled with "china" and I would be the "weird guy" - LOL... We have some "hard" plastic bowls that we use in the house that I think we got from Ikea so maybe an Ikea run is in order if I don't find something suitable in Wally's

Someone in another thread mentioned using a cardboard box that alcohol ships in (with dividers) for bottles (alcohol) and maybe a couple wine glasses - this could fit under one of the dinette seats...

On the boat we had many plastic containers of various sizes to keep stuff organized we threw into seat lockers.

Good call on ziplocs and maybe a few smallish tupperware - gotta respect the fridge capacity though...

Larry N. said:
If you use glass, pack it carefully when setting up for travel. The closest to glass we normally use is Correlle Ware, which is extremely sturdy, but we normally use plastic tumblers, which are inexpensive at Walmart or Dollar stores. We even have thin, plastic but fancy "stem" glasses for wine and small (4 oz. or so) tumblers for juice. And we have a full set of microwaveable plates and bowls, along with regular metal flatware.

After all, there is at least a slight chance that a cabinet could come open on the road, and glass means breakage.

But like Pam, we have a full set of everything in the coach (yes, even a crockpot, toaster, etc.) so only need to load clothes, food and personal items (guitar, phone, computer, etc.).

Pugapooh said:
A junk drawer.  Tape,scissors,batteries,string,paper clip,pen and paper,etc.  chip clips,clothespins,safety pins,etc.  flashlight,screwdrivers hammer,good pocket knife.  Bandaids.

Good tips - I am a big DIY-er mechanic so I have a whole nuther list of tool go kit, spare parts etc.

I can see how the gross weight can really get away from you - LOL... I hope to have the "stay in the RV" kit done in the next couple days before I weigh...

Toilet paper. Its still hard to find sometimes and on the road who knows where?

Have to giggle a little when I read this... my hubby always tells me that. It If you forget we will get on road... During Covid it was interesting... trying to find an item... and finding it out of stock... was a weird time, glad that is over hopefully...

Bug spray...

NY_Dutch said:
Mogst campgrounds are within 30 minutes of stores of some sort, so needed forgotten common items can usually be procured fairly easily.

Donna. It is not over. Shelves are still empty here in south Florida. Cases are still going up.

Ex-Calif said:
I was debating a toaster and smallish blender but they are really useful so I might do that. I am a big breakfast smoothie guy...
We have a KitchenAid immersion blender that goes with us. It has a number of attachments including a chopper, whisk, and a mixer in addition to a blender attachment. I keep a small hand mixer for cookies and cakes. Toaster is there also. Instant Pot is a must have, and Kevin needs his sous vide heater. Of course I really like to cook so I probably have more than some others. Corelle plates and bowls, a few ceramic mugs, four stemless wine glasses stored in their original packaging, Corelle serving bowls. I actually do have a package of paper plates and plastic utensils, but I only use it when all the kids and grandkids visit. Spices and herbs - lots of them! Some of these aren?t needed for a weekend of a once a year vacation, but we are away from home 3-4 months at a time. I need my ?stuff?.

My problem was taking too much I didn't need.  Four summer's later from when we started...??..

I didn't need half the crap I packed.  Live and learn.  We downsized!  laughing

Back
Top Bottom