What do you look for when staying somewhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know we would definitely visit and the 'trailers' wouldn't both me none as long I'm looking at the view you talk about or the vineyard. I agree there needs to be sufficient space between each RV and at least a nearby dumpstation. I have visited other wineries where they used a cannon noise every few minutes to ward off the birds...it this your set-up, too?  That might be annoying to some.

No we do not use air cannon. We use fully automatic shotguns.  :D just kidding our rows are netted to keep most of the birds out.

Sitnfat said:
No we do not use air cannon. We use fully automatic shotguns.  :D just kidding our rows are netted to keep most of the birds out.

HEY, there's an idea!!  Set up the first RV Park / Firing Range combo in the country!  I'll come stay at your place.  ;D

Flizlefrak said:
Set up the first RV Park / Firing Range combo in the country!

Too late it's been done.  Lake Corpus Christi KOA in Mathis Texas.  Last spring the owners allowed me to build and setup a target range on their property, little did they realize what a hit it would be.  And yes there was plenty of automatic fire going on down there by the time we left.  The sherriffs office even inquired as to whether it would be okay for them to use the range.

Foto-n-T said:
Too late it's been done.  Lake Corpus Christi KOA in Mathis Texas.  Last spring the owners allowed me to build and setup a target range on their property, little did they realize what a hit it would be.  And yes there was plenty of automatic fire going on down there by the time we left.  The sherriffs office even inquired as to whether it would be okay for them to use the range.

Hmmmm......I now know where I'll be planning a trip soon.  Sounds like a great idea!

Take your snake gators if you go this time of year!!!

It's an EXTREMELY old KOA but nice.  There are a number of full time residents but the majority of the rigs there are well kept (not all).  The only down side other than the rattlesnakes (they frown on you shooting them on the property by the way) is that the plumbing can have some issues and there is still one row that uses shore posts with glass 30amp fuses.  The owners are extremely nice though and will do just about anything to make your stay pleasent.  The husband spent one night until way after midnite trouble shooting an electrical issue when water got into an underground junction on our row.  The problem took a few days to resolve but in the meantime he hooked us up with an extension cord (30 amp) to the row behind us.  Everybody enjoyed not having to pay for electric for a few days.

Frizlefrak said:
And rattlesnake is delicious......

Unfortunately the last one I killed was trying to join me under the truck and I was so ticked off that I just took his head off with a shovel and chucked him out into the cactus.  Calmer minds would have gotten a filet knife out and skinned him at least.  The bad part was we were all packed up and my wife had to find a neighbor to borrow their shovel so I had to babysit the thing while she wandered off to find an executioners tool.

Have I mentioned I HATE RATTLESNAKES!!!

Foto-n-T said:
Unfortunately the last one I killed was trying to join me under the truck and I was so ticked off that I just took his head off with a shovel and chucked him out into the cactus.  Calmer minds would have gotten a filet knife out and skinned him at least.  The bad part was we were all packed up and my wife had to find a neighbor to borrow their shovel so I had to babysit the thing while she wandered off to find an executioners tool.

Have I mentioned I HATE RATTLESNAKES!!!

Ahhhh what a shame.  Just a few minutes to skin him, coil him up into a big Tupperware container, and toss him in the freezer for later.  Battered and deep fried to golden perfection.....Rattlesnake....it's what's for dinner.

Funny you mention under the truck....had to change a tire once in a campground. Spare had never been on the ground.  Crawled under to unhook it, felt something on my hand, looked down to see the biggest Black Widow I'd ever seen traversing my fingers.  According to wifey, I levitated and shot out horizontally like I'd been fired from a cannon.  Not quite....drive was pea gravel, and it is quite abrasive.  I had evidence that I'd never actually cleared the ground.  I did, however, come out at high velocity....she was right about that part.

Camping is such fun.  ;D

We would stay there and the permanent residents wouldn't worry us. Rattlesnakes, we have been looking for them for 6 months and never seen them. But, we would never eat them! Do people really eat them? We're from Australia and we don't (where we live) eat our snakes. In saying that, I did try alligator nuggets while in Florida but never again.

For a weekend it would not be a problem because most of us stock up so we don't have to go out, but what are the amenities around?  I, E. grocery store, gas, etc. etc.  You already have the wine so  that takes care of that. 

If you build it, they will come. Now if you want them to stay...  build WIDE lots of 40 feet or more.

Try to make the spots level with terracing if need be. Leave as much to nature as possible.

I've stayed in several RV parks that also had a mobile home section, so the fact there are two mobile homes already wouldn't be an issue.

If you can offer Wifi and Sewer as well as elec and water, you will likely stay very busy.  Also keep the dog rules simple like SC State Parks.

Figure out how you are going to handle the garbage. One park I stayed at, the owner drove by everyday in his pickup truck and picked up the garbage from each lot then he stored it in a dumpster away from the campground.  Another one just had 55 gal outdoor garbage cans scattered around with liners and they emptied these daily. Seems they only had one can per 6 lots, but I never saw them overflowing.

I wouldn't worry about being close to amenities,  most RV's have room enough for plenty of groceries. People that like to stay with nature in the boonies (like me!) are used to stocking up ahead of arrival.

Good luck and let me know when you open, I will come.

I have stayed in a "back yard" RV camp.  The guy had built 4 large spots behind his house for RV's with full hookups and then he also had set up tent camping in the woods, with a car park area for the tent people. We were the only RV during our stay, but he was plenty popular with the tent crowd.  He did build a shower and bathroom on the rear of his house for the tent folks to use.

I've stayed in several RV parks that had sewer hookups and no bathrooms or laundry.  So you can pretty much design your RV park any which way you choose, just be honest about it when you put up the website so folks know what to expect.

All lots do not have to be identical either.  Many parks I've been to  have erratic sized lots scattered around trees and nature. You might get a large one, you might get a small one, just be honest about what maximum  sized rig will fit in each lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom