What do you think of this Born free RV ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierrasue123

I have heard that Born Free is a good motorhome and I was planning to stay somewhat small. He says in this add. Priced to sell ! Is it a good price? It looks to be in Reno which is not far from me . What do you all think?
Also, a question I have when making an offer on a RV. How low do you go without going to low? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/6049349887.html

Price seems high for a c class of that age. Its on the ford chassis which i think is a decent chassis. My motorhome has the ford v10 with 60000 miles. No problem so far. Not familiar with the actual brand. Good luck. If you just goggle
nada rv and the model and year it will usually come up.

First thing I thought was it's priced too high.

For $20K or a little more you could get a Class A gas unit that was probably 10-12 foot longer have more features etc.

Bornfree may be a good motorhome, but at that age and length, it is probably priced twice as high as it should be.

sierrasue123 said:
when making an offer on a RV. How low do you go without going to low?

First you have to know (at least approximately) what a rig is worth and NADA (http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/Motorhomes) will at least get you in the ballpark. I wouldn't even look at a rig without first having an idea what it's worth. As to what is "too low", that's completely dependent upon the condition of the rig and the seller's motivation. If the rig's not in the greatest shape and it's been for sale for awhile, and it's priced near NADA (indicating the seller is pricing reasonably) I wouldn't hesitate offering 15-20% below NADA. On the other hand if it's a new listing of a clearly beautifully maintained rig that's always been stored inside, it'll probably go for 5-10% more than NADA. Bear in mind NADA is only a guide to get you in the ballpark.

With regard to this specific unit I agree with the others, it's wildly overpriced. This is a seller looking for a sucker, so aside from the ridiculous price I wouldn't believe anything else in the seller's description and wouldn't even bother calling.

I agree that it over double what it's worth, even if it's in immaculate condition. I just bought a 03 class A 34 ft with 34000 miles for less than that. It needed tires but still wasn't over priced like that one. One can find coachs at or near low book if you take your time. That's a 10,000 dollar coach if it is in immaculate condition. I wouldn't have even wasted my time looking at coachs that are so over priced. Keep on looking. 

Safest MH on the road. BF's always command a bit more in price, Check the options out that adds to the cost, don't go by the basic appraisal. BF has a fiberglass body and few seams that need watching. Still I'd also say it's too high, but if it's what you're looking for otherwise make an offer that you deem reasonable (after a professional inspection). Who knows you might get it! Good luck!

Guys ad isn't very friendly and it looks like a class B to me.  Not much more than a conversion van.  Way overpriced.

Price may be somewhat high, but this is a case where, comparing to an A, that bigger is not necessarily better. From the photos it looks to be in excellent condition, and these are well designed, well made, and for those of us who WANT a small coach, may well be worth consideration.

I have had over the years 4 class A's, plus numerous others, and now have a B. That is, by the way, a class C.

I was not in the least put off by the ad, if I were in the market I would be looking for an RV, not a new friend.

Most Born Free owners and sellers honestly believe the Born Free are worth more than the average Class C.  AND many buyers pay more and sellers get more. 

I owned a 2005 Born Free for 3 years and thought it was well built.  Also the interior cabinets are very well made and made with real wood not fiber with plastic covering.  Almost anytime I met another Born Free owner they went out of their way to tell me how great they thought the Born Free's are.  They tend to be a bit of a cult RV. 

There have been some problems with leaks where the cabover connects to the van sheet metal.  If that happens you will have rotting wood. 

NADA RV priceing is based on deducting a certain percentage off of the MSRP for each year of age.  It is not based on actually sales price, like cars are supposed to be priced. 

However I don't believe the Born Free is worth more than maybe 20-25% over NADA excellent condition price. 

However if you really like and WANT a Born Free and the unit is in excellent condition then it may be worth more than 25% over NADA to YOU or the right buyer. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom