What foods you carry that are easy to keep and convenient to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I love to cook and I do most of it outdoors even if the RV does have a nice kitchen.  That said, there are still times when I'd rather do something than spend too much time cooking.

So, we do often get those Jimmy Dean micro breakfast meals -we like to use those especially for pack-out days so we don't dirty up dishes.  We don't mind canned meats, either, like corned beef hash, tuna, ham, etc.

One thing I do sometimes is pre-mix eggs in a freezer baggie with all the seasonings, cheese, onion, etc. and keep them in the fridge.  When you're ready for a tasty omelet all you do is put the bag in boiling water for 3-5 minutes.  Plus, you can eat it right out of the bag with a plastic spoon and no mess!

Of course, we always keep plenty of jerky and mixed nuts on hand.  When we hike that is sometimes our lunch and it is a pretty good power lunch.

Gin and tonic is pretty easy as well, and we wouldn't get caught dead without that! 

Travel Food in the TT refrigerator. 

Hard Boiled Eggs,  Sandwich Fixin's Jerky, Chips, Condiments. Canned Soup, Mixed Gourmet Olives,

Most of these are picked with the idea in mind of a easy road side lunch at a scenic overlook or a pretty river side park, and then back on the road. 

In a CG, we cook just like we do at home,  BBQ, Crock Pot, Oven, etc.

We generally prefer to shop every 3-4 days for fresh produce, but sometimes that just can?t happen. We carry frozen vegetables to take up the slack. Small packages of loose frozen veggies are quite tasty, and they can be cooked in the microwave or on the stove. Our other long lasting produce are carrots and onions. We cook those on the stove or the oven (I love roasted carrots!). For when we just really don?t feel like cooking, we have Knorr rice mixes we add some kind of meat to (sausage and canned chicken store well). There are also pasta and vegetable mixes that store in the freezer that are easy to add some meat. Then again there is the classic ?breakfast for dinner? with some combination of pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, and potatoes. Mostly though we cook just the way we do at home.

John From Detroit said:
RV is my house. I carry same stuff I used to have at home.. I actually enjoy cooking (But not doing dishes) Lunch today was homemade bean soup with ham.
I plan on Shepherd's pie tomorrow.

You didn't make enough to carry you over for at least 2 more days?  I love leftovers especially shepherds pie..

We don't eat out much when traveling so our eating habits are pretty much the same.  We move the stuff from the S and B refrigerator to the RV.  We also take as many can goods and dry goods as possible limited pretty much by space.  Then it's just an as needed trip to the grocery store. 

John From Detroit said:
RV is my house. I carry same stuff I used to have at home.. I actually enjoy cooking (But not doing dishes) Lunch today was homemade bean soup with ham.
I plan on Shepherd's pie tomorrow.
Ditto on what we carry.  Our RV is our home.  My wife does the cooking and she has about 30 days of meals planned.  We buy fresh once or twice a week and use the freezer to carry perishables just like we did when we had a stick and brick home.

I guess I must not of phrased the question properly.
Kudos to those who cook gourmet meals on the road.
I was looking for others who have found things that last a long time sans refrigearation so that a lot may be taken on the road for long term boondocking etc.
So if we are on the beach for a couple of weeks we do not have to run to the store for milk etc

darsben said:
I guess I must not of phrased the question properly.
Kudos to those who cook gourmet meals on the road.
I was looking for others who have found things that last a long time sans refrigearation so that a lot may be taken on the road for long term boondocking etc.
So if we are on the beach for a couple of weeks we do not have to run to the store for milk etc

You're talking old west and military bivouac type stuff.  Haha  Seriously, though, if you can find MREs on sale they are not nearly as bad these days as they were back when I had to eat them in the Gulf War -I always keep some on hand.  Also, the old staples like rice, beans, and canned meat have a long shelf life.  I also keep that stuff around.  I love Ramen and add canned meat to it to help it along, but I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't healthy to keep you stealthy.

With the updated information, I am assuming you don?t have a toad so going to town for a quick grocery run isn?t feasible. When we had our little Casita trailer and a very small refrigerator, we would dehydrate food for a lot of our meals. I dehydrated hamburger and bulk sausage and packaged it in 1/2 pound (rehydrated) packages using a vacuum sealer. I also dehydrated a number of different vegetables, also stored in serving quantities in vacuum packed bags. Fruits are relatively easy to find already dehydrated. You can find how-to instructions easily on the web, and a dehydrator isn?t that expensive. This is the same approach we used on week long canoe camping trips when we had no refrigeration available. We would even use (reconstituted) dry milk. There is a Nido brand found in the Latino section of the supermarket that beats any other type hands down. You do need to let it rest for 12-24 hours to really be good though since the milk protein is pretty hydrophobic. With the bigger refrigerators, we just buy multiple cartons of my lactose free milk which is ultrapasturized and good for 3+ weeks in the refrigerator when I can?t count on a tiny grocery store to have what I need.

Look at any backpacker cookbook or web site and you will find lots of options. None of the folks I tent camped with used freeze dried stuff, just dehydrated. Good seasonings are a must - garlic, onion flakes, dried mushrooms, paprika, etc. I have been known to whip up pizzas on a river bank from scratch using a one burner MSR stove, plus any number of soups, stews, and one dish meals like curriesand pasta.

UTTransplant said:
I have been known to whip up pizzas on a river bank from scratch using a one burner MSR stove, plus any number of soups, stews, and one dish meals like curriesand pasta.
I want to camp with you!  Sounds delicious.

I  don't cook so I stock up on Great Value TV dinners. They have all the ones that you would expect like spaghetti, lasagna, sweet and sour chicken and turkey. They all taste great, are very easy to prepare, have very low calories and sodium and cost a mere $1.88. I eat one a day. 3:33 in the microwave is all it takes and I only have one fork to wash, everything else gets tossed out. Each dinner is 10 ounces, just the right amount to fill me up. Great Value is sold at Walmart.

Attachments

• great value.jpeg
    great value.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 39
Hi,

Great subject. My wife and I of course like to take regular items when camping. One thing that we do take is freeze dried food for days when we want to go somewhere and not spending a lot of time with food prep. or getting back from a days activity. It
is easy to prepare in 5 minutes. Not near as good as home cooking but fills a niche. We especially like the Breakfast Skillet by Mountain House for on the road. You can even make breakfast burritos with tortillas.

Wal-Mart and sporting goods stores usually offer a variety of these camp foods.

I just wanted to add mid size frozen pizza to the list.  I can stack 5 or 6 of them the bottom half of my Dometic freezer compartment by taking them out of the box first, and there are a lot of non-traditional varieties out there like the California Kitchens BBQ chicken pizza, or the Table 5 ones with cornmeal crust. 

I have a convection / microwave that works fairly well for cooking them in my coach.
Ike

ps The mid size Digiorno Pizzeria style pizzas fits nicely too.

Back
Top Bottom