What fuel mileage to expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teamteke

What fuel mileage should I expect on highway driving using late model diesel crew cab pulling 5th wheel say 30-33' long.

Thanks to all-

That depends on a lot - flat ? Hills? Mountains? Altitude? Brand of truck? Weight of trailer? To put into perspective i have a 2013 chev 3500 deisel pull a 40 ft 16000 lb trailer at 3600 ft above sea level in the mountains 9 mpg on the flats with a 30 mph side wind 6 mpg
A lot of variables

I also have the Duramax on a 3/4 ton Chevy chassis towing a 13,000 Montana. On level ground doing 60 MPH I get about 14 MPG. If I bump it up to about 65 MPH, it drops down to around 13 MPG.  When I get into hills, it goes down to 11 - 12 MPG 

Somewhere between horbial and terrible.  Mid teens with a light foot.  The more you hear the turbo wine or the higher that turbo gage goes. The more fuel your burning

If you must ask, you can't afford it.

However, if you are just curious.....

To improve mileage, lower speed and try to avoid biodiesel.

grashley said:
If you must ask, you can't afford it.

However, if you are just curious.....

To improve mileage, lower speed and try to avoid biodiesel.

Grasdhley-Easy there big boy...you don't know me or my finances. I didn't come on here to be insulted. I accept your apology, thank you. I have been through 4 Ford F350 Crew Cab Diesels. I own a construction company and tow a lot of equipment on a pretty big dual axle trailer. In the past, I have driven my crew cab with a Lance slide-in camper and 21' boat on a dual axle trailer.  I live in the Colorado mountains at 9,000'.  I know all about hills and wind.

To the others who have answered, thank-you. Your numbers are about what I expected. 

teamteke said:
Grasdhley-Easy there big boy...you don't know me or my finances. I didn't come on here to be insulted. I accept your apology, thank you. I have been through 4 Ford F350 Crew Cab Diesels. I own a construction company and tow a lot of equipment on a pretty big dual axle trailer. In the past, I have driven my crew cab with a Lance slide-in camper and 21' boat on a dual axle trailer.  I live in the Colorado mountains at 9,000'.  I know all about hills and wind.
wow if you live in Colorado at 9000ft you must be at the top of the mountain cause Calgary is at 3500 and Denver is at 5200 ft lol ;D

steveblonde said:
wow if you live in Colorado at 9000ft you must be at the top of the mountain cause Calgary is at 3500 and Denver is at 5200 ft lol ;D

One of my favorite vacation spots is a quaint town at 10,000+ ft.
Leadville, CO is a nice little bit of paradise in the middle of all the ski resorts.

Lots of people live above 9000 in the Rockies.

grashley said:
Sorry if I insulted.  That was meant to be humor.
You are usually full of great info and humour. Sometimes writen stuff can be misinterpreted. The great thing with this forum is that people are straight talking so things easily rectified. Don't stop the jokes  ;D

srs713 said:
One of my favorite vacation spots is a quaint town at 10,000+ ft.
Leadville, CO is a nice little bit of paradise in the middle of all the ski resorts.

Lots of people live above 9000 in the Rockies.

thats high holly crap the "highest populated place in canada is lake louise at 5449 ft i never knew anyone "lived" above 9000 ft thats crazy :eek:

jackiemac said:
You are usually full of great info and humour. Sometimes writen stuff can be misinterpreted. The great thing with this forum is that people are straight talking so things easily rectified. Don't stop the jokes  ;D

Thanks.  I really appreciate that.

steveblonde said:
thats high holly crap the "highest populated place in canada is lake louise at 5449 ft i never knew anyone "lived" above 9000 ft thats crazy :eek:

My house is at 7,200 ft.  It's hard to go anywhere nice around here without being close to the tree line.  A buddy of mine has some land that we camp at near Grand Lake.  The elevation there is just shy of 12,000 ft. It's fun having snowball fights in the middle of July!

To the OP, I get 8-10 mpg on average pulling my trailer.  I always run 68-70 mph.

Wind effects our rig more than anything.  I always stay below 65mph.  A 30 mph Texas headwind will drop our mpg down to 9.5, while a 30 mph tailwind will get around 12.0.  It probably averages around 11 or so towing the TT.  I primarily use the truck for towing, so probably 60% of its 175,000 miles have been spent pulling a TT or an equipment trailer on the highway.  My overall average is 14.4 mpg.

:) Hey Steveblonde we can't help it if your Canadian mts, which look so tall in the pictures, are really so low.  :)

I live @ 8,000 and work @ 9,000.  low passes in the Colorado rockies are 10,000.

Visited lake Louise last year, got to say you have some beautiful mtns. but if you want high (with our new laws that's a double meaning) you have to come to Colorado..  ;)

Oak

Back
Top Bottom