What good is a Ham radio anyway???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim,

I first met April when she came in to my store in 2002 and immediately signed up. I was active with her group for about 3 years then life changed and had to put it on hold. Now that it is back on my mind I will see if there is a chapter out here in Palm Springs.

73s

Jay T
K6ruv

Jay,

I got into the group about 1978 or 80 through a couple of guys in the Anaheim radio club, Ted Kramer and Ralph Swanson.  I still keep in touch with Ralph when we visit my son in OC.  Not much contact with Ted after he lost his wife a few years ago but usually see him while in OC too.  I have had dinner with April and Joe when ever we are there too.  Long time ago now and a lot of great people in that group.

I hang out on the Catalina Repeater when I am in town, give me a shout when your in to visit your son. I also monitor it a lot from out here and usually make the repeater in the morning hours. The HF rig is not up but will be installed in the RV in a few months.

Jay T

[quote author=PancakeBill]What is the point of quoting a previous post and not commenting?[/quote]

I fixed the quote Bill; The original had the reply/comment inside the quote.

>>Oh you can always talk about the weather like most do on their really expensive rigs thats all I ever heard. So I decided I didnt need ham radio. Yea I know they do a lot of good in broadcasting disasters but so do the tv networks. But if ham radio rings your bell then by all means go fer it.

The TV networks are interested is stories, not real communication to help aid people.  Occasionally they do and the overhead pictures can and do help but coorination of actual relief and transfer of patients is either done by the Law enforcement or some other fixed communication or Hams, most usually Hams.  The Salvation Army and Red Cross both use Hams for coordination of their services.  A look at the ARRL web site, arrl.org will give a better view of the public service performed by Ham volunteers.

The day may come when you wish you had your license and a ham radio.
Be prepared!

Based on what you wrote I would recommend against bothering with Ham Radio.  Unless you are a back country camper or go where there is no cell signal you will get very little use from it.  Even then it would only be in an emergency situation.  Honestly, unless one is willing to spend the time and money to become an accomplished operator the chances of making emergency contacts is pretty slim anyway.  To be quite honest, our hobby and avocation really doesn't need any more people who really don't want to participate.

Just starting back up.  Bought an Icom 706 Mkll-G.  Found a bargain on a High Sierra screwdriver antenna. but I think I need to replace the contact ring based on testing.

Planning on getting the RV set up just in time for the low end of the sunspot cycle it looks like.

What good is it?  As the prev post says, none of you don't actually want to really get into it.  You don't just buy a radio and an antenna and expect plug n' play.  However if you are really interested in radio and communications, it is a very rewarding hobby.  Meet many interesting, (some more interesting than expected), and learn lots of things (if you have that particular aptitude and interest), and it is something you can do into your dotage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom