What is most important to you when choosing a campsite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Texas, as hot as it is, it’s all about 50 amp service! Lol
True enough, I just canceled a 7 day trip to Texoma, triple digits mean spending afternoons and evenings inside and I can do that at home. We're due to set a record here in N. Texas today. So all we can do is wait it out.

We live in the midst of 10+/- million people so really enjoy not hearing the neighbors dogs barking constantly or being able to watch their TV from our window. I rate peace and quiet way above, most amenities, flat parking spaces or all the other conveniences of an RV park. However, if we need to empty the tanks, do some laundry and fill the fresh water, then a bare bones RV park works just fine.

The other side of that coin...

We were at a campground in TX a couple years back. Can't remember if it was State or COE but in any event there was some kind of boating "event" as the boat parking area was packed with pickups and trailers.

Later that afternoon they all started to return to the loading ramp. A few dozen trolling around waiting their turn as the boat owners backed the trailers in. Obviously no newbies in that crowd as it was pretty impressive to watch as they drove up, turned around, and backed in swiftly without ever having to do the back/forth realign thing. Boat pulled up on the trailer and bang-- they were out of the water. Almost like they've done that before... ;)
You're absolutely right. I saw a guy with a 30' sportfisher put it up on his trailer perfectly the other day. Reached over the bow, cranked a couple of times, and he was off. Sweet!

You're absolutely right. I saw a guy with a 30' sportfisher put it up on his trailer perfectly the other day. Reached over the bow, cranked a couple of times, and he was off. Sweet!
Not like this I assume:
iu

To get back to the original topic, one thing I appreciate is a combination of wooded and open sites. I prefer an open site so i can get satellite TV. While some commercial campgrounds do have cable service, it is very seldom as good as my satellite service, and it likely will not have a few of my favorite channels.

For me its a combination of things, and a bit of give and take. If the site has no sewer, the site better be tabletop smooth, and near perfect level. If there is sewer, then I don’t mind so much have to build a ramp of sorts to get things level. The site we are at now, required elevating the front wheels off the ground, then placement of blocks under the wheels, then slight drop back down to level. If this site had no sewer, I would have moved on, but we’ll be parked here for another month at least, so it’s no big deal.

We're 123 miles west of Beaver, Utah out in the Great Basin, but not quite as far from Ely, Nevada. Had a less than 1 year old Goodyear Endurance trailer tire tread patched in Ely, Nevada two days ago due to a rock puncture. Drove 105 miles to fix. Unfortunately, the fixed tire began to bulge yesterday right down the sidewall chalk mark the tire shop used to re-align the value stem during remount. Not near the patch. The campsite is in a good location, but it's quite far from any name brand tire services. Going to Big-O in Beaver and get a new tire. Gotta love being far from anything when camping.
20230813_173553.jpg

To get back to the original topic, one thing I appreciate is a combination of wooded and open sites. I prefer an open site so i can get satellite TV. While some commercial campgrounds do have cable service, it is very seldom as good as my satellite service, and it likely will not have a few of my favorite channels.
I've been on some pretty heavily treed sites, but I've always managed to get sat signals with my portable dish. I've run out up to 200 feet of coax at times, but the photo below only needed 150 feet. Of course I prefer level sites as well.

Rodman-69.jpg

I've been on some pretty heavily treed sites, but I've always managed to get sat signals with my portable dish. I've run out up to 200 feet of coax at times, but the photo below only needed 150 feet.
I can say the same thing even though at some sites I've had to, like yourself, go to "extremes" to hit one of the Dish arcs.

However, we have been to campgrounds, or more accurately portions of a campground that were so heavily treed that they didn't even get any sun! I have to think, out loud sometimes, "Well, what would NY_Dutch do if they had a site here?!. :rolleyes: :D

Hopefully our "luck" will hold out gong forward...

Not all of us have a portable satellite that we can move. Mine is permanently affixed to my motorhome roof because I have no underneath space big enough to store it. And, I have no intention to replace it with a portable satellite.

So, I much prefer a space where I can park that is open, and preferences is what the original poster asked about. Unless there is absolutely nothing else available within 100 miles, I avoid heavily treed campgrounds.

From someone that's brand new... my wife and I care about not being overly crowded, like touching the next door campers site with our awning etc.
Safety is a big factor.. having small herd of children makes safety of the campground #1 priority.

Back
Top Bottom