What is this mounted on my roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
Going on the roof would easily be an accident for me to do, so I’ve never seen my roof. My son is topside today working on my satellite dish and took this picture to ask me what it is. I’m have no clue so thought I’d bring it to you experts.
BE653CFF-7D84-402E-84C4-5EC81951AF2C.jpeg
It’s pointing aft, if that matters.
TIA

That's what is left of your AM-FM radio antenna. You should be able to get a replacement antenna at places that have car parts. It should come loose by loosening a screw on the ball shaped pat, probably #2 Phillips.

I'd go with CB over AM/FM but both are possible.> That is a common "Ball Mount" has a 3/8x24 threaded hole where the shaft sticks out.. Most CB (And many ham) antennas have the same thread on the male side where they hook to the mount.

Put a CB antenna on the roof... Good chance it will get ..er.. Beheaded.

I mounted mine on the side so the tip was about 1" above the top of the air Conditioners (Highest thing on roof) combo antenna and bridge stick.

Nope. it's for the AM/FM radio. I should lay mine down. I never listen to AM/FM anymore. But if you do, like LRed said, it's easily replaceable.

Thx… pretty sure AM/FM… no sign of CB ever installed and radio gets near zero stations.
Often the factory will install a CB antenna and even have the cable run down behind the dash, just as a "prewire," then it can be a headache to find the coax end in the cab, so "not installed" means little. But if there's not a second one of them on the roof then it likely is the AM/FM antenna.

Missing from the photo is any kind of dimensional reference. A CB ball mount will be about 2" in diameter where the ball mount AM/FM antenna that's on mine is maybe 3/4". It's not impossible someone put a 2" ball mount on the roof but my bet is it's the smaller AM/FM version.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom