What is your favorite fall dish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanbrat

I love fall foods--- hot soup, fresh applesauce, applesauce cake, hot fresh cider, and all things spiced. I am trying to think what would be good for traveling in my tiny van kitchen. I could make a tiny soup in my tiny crockpot or some cider to zap in the microwave and maybe If I can shrink my applesauce cake recipe down to a few tiny muffins in the little air fryer my DIL gave me. I know I could do canned soup and for those that like the canned salt it's fine but not me. I like applesauce so that's easy. I crave Kielbasa this time of year too, though hubby says yuk. Hot applesauce oatmeal sounds good, but????
So, what about you what is your fall food travel goodies?

Any kind of stew. My wife makes a killer Basque pork stew. Chili is always good. When we cook a turkey we boil the carcass down and make Turkey noodle soup. My wife also makes a great posole. Any kind of bean soup is good.

Japanese Curry is a good one. Sounds exotic, but it satisfies my simple tastes and makes for a good hearty meal. It smells wonderful while cooking but doesn't leave lingering odor, like cooking bacon indoors would.

Find yourself an S&B Curry cube box at the grocery store. We prefer the mild flavor versus hot. Basically you cook cubed chicken breast in a pan, add chopped veggies like onion, bell pepper, others (people put all kinds of stuff in curries). Add water, let it simmer. After 15 minutes or so and chicken cooked, veggies soft, stir in the curry cubes and it turns into curry (like a thick stew). This is true one-pot/one burner cooking.

It can be two-pot cooking if you cook rice over which to pour your curry in a pot. When in the RV we typically use microwave bags of Basmati rice. If we're feeling extra hungry, we'll cook a loaf of rosemary french bread to go with it.

Japanese Curry is a good one. Sounds exotic, but it satisfies my simple tastes and makes for a good hearty meal. It smells wonderful while cooking but doesn't leave lingering odor, like cooking bacon indoors would.

Find yourself an S&B Curry cube box at the grocery store. We prefer the mild flavor versus hot. Basically you cook cubed chicken breast in a pan, add chopped veggies like onion, bell pepper, others (people put all kinds of stuff in curries). Add water, let it simmer. After 15 minutes or so and chicken cooked, veggies soft, stir in the curry cubes and it turns into curry (like a thick stew). This is true one-pot/one burner cooking.

It can be two-pot cooking if you cook rice over which to pour your curry in a pot. When in the RV we typically use microwave bags of Basmati rice. If we're feeling extra hungry, we'll cook a loaf of rosemary french bread to go with it.
We lived in Japan for four years and ate a lot of curry and soba. We purchase the Japanese style curry at the commissary at the AF base here. It’s an easy dish to make and one you make ahead and heat up when you get to your destination.

We lived in Japan for four years and ate a lot of curry and soba. We purchase the Japanese style curry at the commissary at the AF base here. It’s an easy dish to make and one you make ahead and heat up when you get to your destination.

Yes, very good point. It reheats very well (microwave, or in a pot) and transports easily, just needs to be refrigerated. It's one of the few meals I think tastes as good reheated as it does freshly cooked.

Curry sounds yummy to me too. And any type of soup is always good this time of year. A few years ago I started making butternut squash soup and it is one of my favs.... Not hubby though, he is more the stew type. Well and anything he can eat while watching football.
I have several things I like to freeze in single meal sizes to take along when we travel. But this time of year, there are just some that scream fall to me.
I often cook up stuff like Chicken meat or beef for stews or soups and casseroles and ????? just to have ready for when we need it. But once stopped I get to cook fresh stuff.

Last edited:
Curry sounds yummy to me too. And any type of soup is always good this time of year. A few years ago I started making butternut squash soup and it is one of my favs.... Not hubby though he is more the stew type.
Butternut squash soup is pretty easy to make and transports and reheats easily. With some good crusty bread it makes a great lunch or dinner.

I also like Stratas in the fall, aka breakfast casseroles. My variation is croissant, breakfast meats mixed in with egg, half/half, sautéed onion, maybe a vegetable or two, shredded cheese, and baked. Lots of good recipes online which describe how to make. They reheat really well after baking.

We just jarred up this year's sauerkraut. Love my wife's recipe where she fries it up with bacon until it's browned. I don't know what all goes in there, but it's pretty tasty with a brat or summer sausage

If I can shrink my applesauce cake recipe down to a few tiny muffins in the little air fryer my DIL gave me. I know I could do canned soup and for those that like the canned salt it's fine but not me.
When I read "tiny van" I immediately start thinking about space limitations. For soup stock I have switched to powdered stock bases. Yes they are all salty so you gotta take care with them but they are super portable and last well.

I do use hearty canned soups at times for convenience and understand the salt concern but I always spice them up myself with non salty spices.

For your cake recipes you can consider mixing up all the dry ingredients and then portion them out in zip locks. If they require eggs, consider using egg whites which are healthier and portion easier.

I also make pea and ham soup, chicken/sausage gumbo and several other hearty soups from scratch. I portion the finished product into tupperware and freeze a lot.

We just jarred up this year's sauerkraut. Love my wife's recipe where she fries it up with bacon until it's browned. I don't know what all goes in there, but it's pretty tasty with a brat or summer sausage
Ever since kids left, sauerkraut production has decreased. Hubby doesn’t like sauerkraut, so I put it up in jam jars - just for me. Love sauerkraut anyway you fix it!

Naan and frybread are both super easy and go great with soups, stews, and curries.
Don't eat factory made bread! Here is Wonder bread.

Azodicarbonimide???

cb19f87a143992988644ffc58308e3d8.jpg

When I read "tiny van" I immediately start thinking about space limitations. For soup stock I have switched to powdered stock bases. Yes they are all salty so you gotta take care with them but they are super portable and last well.

I do use hearty canned soups at times for convenience and understand the salt concern but I always spice them up myself with non salty spices.

For your cake recipes you can consider mixing up all the dry ingredients and then portion them out in zip locks. If they require eggs, consider using egg whites which are healthier and portion easier.

I also make pea and ham soup, chicken/sausage gumbo and several other hearty soups from scratch. I portion the finished product into tupperware and freeze a lot.
I had a kido a few years back that was allergic eggs, so I learned how to use fax eggs for cooking. It is usually in the baking section of the store with the Non wheat flours. They are only for baking, but they can be easy to use and don't need refrigerated....
Apples can also replace eggs so applesauce cake doesn't take eggs. Just one of the reasons I like it. That and it is really healthy if made with 50/50 whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. Honey instead of sugar and lots of raisins and nuts. I will have to see how to put a flour mix into baggies so I can make 1-2 'muffin' sized things at a time. That like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom