Where and how to find a good used RV from a private owner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

87bob

My wife and I are looking to purchase a used RV. We want to find one in good shape from a private owner. We want one in the 26-30 foot range. How do we go about finding a private owner that wants to sell? Thanks!

Craigslist is my favorite spot on the Internet for finding used RVs. Don't look only in the area you are living, look in areas that are within a 500 mile radius. And there are new ones listed every day. When I bought my current RV (and the last 4) I spent an hour a day reading ads for several months before finding one that I bought. Don't be in a rush.

Same here...We live in the Richmond, Virginia area and have been looking for a 23-27 foot class c with a slide. Have been looking for 3 months and have seen every dog out there.

Craig's List was going to be my suggestion as well.  However, you do need to be careful as the scams there are getting to be ridiculous.  If you find something you like, be sure you talk to and see it in person.  If you find one that seems too good to be true, it probably is, so proceed with great caution.  Otherwise, it is a great resource.

Another I've seen is just driving around, especially by storage places.  Many storage places have a spot or so up front where you'll see RV's (and cars/trucks/boats) for sale.  Those can be a real gem sometimes.

And finally, if you neighborhood (or surrounding neighborhoods) allow storage of RV's on personal property (at the house), you'll often find some good deals there.

And don't forget to check the Forum For Sale board.  Here and other RV forum boards as well. 

I agree with Craigslist. 

Heed the Caveat of watching for scams.  If it does not have a phone number...  Likely a scam!  If too good to be true...  It's not.  Etc. as previously stated.

Like others the best advice is to be very patient. 

Look at many and decide what floor plan items you like and dont like.  Even go look at new ones to discover this.  Lay down on the bed,  act like you are living in it as you plan to camp. The floor plan is a very bid deal in an RV.

If you know others that camp,  Let them know you are looking and that can expand your eyes and ears looking. OR they may know someone looking to upgrade or sell out.

Be patient and ready to jump when you find what you want.

We found ours thru Craigslist.....1400 miles away. Looked for several months. Hands down a way better deal than we could find at any dealer lot. The ones we did look at on lots were frankly junk and about 3 X the price we paid for the exact same model. I highly recommend buying from a private party only.

Yet another vote for Craiglist, so long as you heed the warnings above.  If they have a number and a physical address to see the unit, everything is most likely ok.  Anything else, move along.

I've found word of mouth works well too.  Was talking to some guys at work one time and mentioned I was looking for a new TT.  One of them just happened to know someone selling one.  The rest is history. 

My current RV was advertised on RV Trader On Line. I was in Sacramento and the RV I wanted was just north of Austin, TX.

Via pictures and a number of discussions on line I was ready to purchase - with the understanding that the final agreement would be after I physically kicked the tires, took it for a test drive, "and" took it to a qualified Ford truck dealership to have it checked bumper to bumper. As to the appliances and everything else that sat on the Ford chassis, I decided to just test myself. The mileage was only 33,000 and the owner didn't use it full time so I figured if things worked for me I would be OK.

The other thing I did to find what I wanted was to just Google it. That took me to many that weren't listed w/any of the on line services such as RV Trader or Craig's List. But it also took me to many that were listed.

BTW, I have also sold 2 RVs by listing in RV Trader On Line - and sold one within 5 days by just placing an ad in the local newpaper (the Sacramento Bee). They have tons of ads every day. On two occasions I tried placing an RV with a consignment dealer. "Never" again. Either by buying or selling, too many 3rd parties have a finger in the deal.

And finally after everything else checks out, I look the seller straight in the eye and ask the question, "Is there ANYthing about this vehicle that you know about that hasn't been brought up otherwise that I should know about before buying?". And continue to look the seller straight in the eye while he/she responds.

Another vote for Craigslist, but be careful. I usually do a Google search using the ad header (cut and paste) to see if it shows up elsewhere. If it shows on every major city I ignore it and move on.

phatpony said:
Another vote for Craigslist, but be careful. I usually do a Google search using the ad header (cut and paste) to see if it shows up elsewhere. If it shows on every major city I ignore it and move on.

Good Idea!

When I find those ads.  I take the time to flat them for removal.
I think it helps keep the community clean. Kinda like picking up a piece of trash off the street.

It took us 3 weeks to find ours and we drove all over Texas looking. We found ours on Craigslist and couldn't be happier.

We found our 1st RV, a B+, at a dealer and sold it on RVtrader.com 2 days after it listed.  My sis found her PUP on Craigslist several years ago, found their current hybrid on CL this spring and sold the PUP on CL.

Lots of good honest people sell items on CL but be prepared for the scammer scum trying to take you.

Craigs List worked for us, select private owner. Sold our pop-up in 1 day (2000 Viking 2480 HW).
Looked throurgh alot of junk. Stay clear of water damage-unless it is somthing you can fix yourself. We looked for weeks, but we found a gem (2009 Wildwood 26BH).
Good luck & Great Camping.

Houston, Tx Y'all!!!
Chris & Christine
2 Brown-eyed girls
2007 Commander
2009 Wildwood 26 BH

I found mine here.
http://www.campingfriend.com/LakeViewRVResort/default.asp?file=search_rv_listing

I found mine on craigs list as well, BUT our local dealer does have some on the lot that priced right.

We sold our last one on Craigslist but bought the current one off of RVTraderOnline.com  The most frustrating thing about the search was the amount of time it took to find "just the right" rig.  We had a pretty specific list with a wants colum and a needs colum.  That was very helpful  There was a Southwind we looked at that had several of the wants but was missing some needs so after diliberation we passed on the deal.  The Bounder had all of the needs, but not some of the wants so I went to lowes and did some cosmetic remodeling. With about 4 or 5 hours of work and a few hundered dollars in hardware we swapped out every single bit of brass in the RV for brushed nickel.

The list was the most important thing we took with us everywhere we went when shopping.  (Even when we didn't plan on RV shopping we had a copy of the list, because you never know when you're going to see a RV lot or a RV for sale.

Jeff

I just sold mine on Craigslist a week ago, didn't have to pay a dime to list it anywhere.  I was skeptical but figured I'd give it a try before listing in local newspaper classifieds or elsewhere.  I had it listed in several CG sites, would add a new "city" every few days to stay within the CG guidelines.  The buyer that purchased was about 3 hours away, and saw/responded to my ad within 8 hours of it being posted.  It was listed for 2-3 weeks, and I probably got at least 1 inquiry per day on average... i.e. there are lots of people out there looking.

Hi,

Interestingly enough, we bought our first off Craigslist and probably overpaid (22 ft. Flair - 1996) but it was in excellent condition and we really enjoyed it.

Our second was off a Dealer lot (2006 Georgie boy - 33 feet) and three years later it still Blue Books for more than we paid. It is still in excellent condition and we've really enjoyed the trouble free ownership.

We only looked at one MH each time so its possible to find them. Our problem now is that the third MH apparently does not exist as we've looked at more than 50 and still no Joy!

Ernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom