Where can I find my truck's dry weight for towing calculations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

Hi there!  I'm trying to figure out exactly how much I should be towing ( I know, beating this topic to death!), but I can't seem to find out how much my truck weighs dry?

Here's the stat's I have: 

2006 F-150 Supercrew; 5.4L engine, 3.73 axle.  The manual says I can tow up to 9,500 pds. The manual also says the CCWR = 15,000 pds.  So I'm trying to figure out what my total load would/could be AFTER I hook up my future trailer (yet to be decided), passengers, motorcycles, etc, before things become unsafe.

Thanks for any info, I know whoever knows this info is tired of answering this question...

Thanks again!

The only correct way to get you truck's accurate weight is to weigh it.  Rather than dry weight, You should weigh it with full fuel, your normal passenger load and anything you plan on carring in the truck.  Use this actual weight to see how much margin you still have.
Jake

Hi there!  I'm trying to figure out exactly how much I should be towing ( I know, beating this topic to death!), but I can't seem to find out how much my truck weighs dry?

Don't bother.  There are only two types of weights you need for judging towability with a given truck.  One is the actual weight of the trailer as you have loaded it for travel.
[br]Date Posted: September 16, 2006, 09:59:49 PMI second Jakes comment.  Get the thing weighed.

You can use the "curb weight", which is usually listed on your title or reistration paperwork, but the number you really want can only be obtained by weighing the truck wjen it is loaded as it typically is for travel, with driver, fuel, etc. onboard. Subtract that from the truck GCWR (15,000 in your case) and you have a max towing capacit that is personalized to your vehicle.

The estimated value you have (9500 lbs) assumes your truck weighs 4500 when ready to travel. That's probably lighter than you actually are once you have passengers, gear, hitch, etc. onboard and ready to go. Your actual tow limit is likely to be aout 9000, give or take a bit.

Back
Top Bottom