Where do you go to find a perfect level spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FunSteak said:
Many good-quality levels are adjustable.  To check one for accuracy is simple.  Place it against the wall and get the bubbles perfect, then draw a line down one long edge.  Then flip the level over 180 degrees and compare to the line.  If it's just right, the line should align perfectly with the other side.  If it doesn't, you know it's off and needs adjustment.  There is often a small setscrew near the vials that can finely adjust the vial's position. 

Cheaper levels don't have this adjustment, BTW.  My old mahogany 2' and 4' mason levels do, and I've got them dialed in perfectly.

Interesting-- I did not know that!  :))

No matter what any tool says, I level to my DW's likeness.  I could have a team of NASA engineers level it if and she says it's not level then I change it until she says its level.  The most important part is to agree the whole way. ;D ;D. In the end I don't really care if it is a little off.

As long as the fridge door closes by it's self your good to go.

FunSteak said:
Many good-quality levels are adjustable.  To check one for accuracy is simple.  Place it against the wall and get the bubbles perfect, then draw a line down one long edge.  Then flip the level over 180 degrees and compare to the line.  If it's just right, the line should align perfectly with the other side.  If it doesn't, you know it's off and needs adjustment.  There is often a small setscrew near the vials that can finely adjust the vial's position. 

Cheaper levels don't have this adjustment, BTW.  My old mahogany 2' and 4' mason levels do, and I've got them dialed in perfectly.
Here is the one we use in our shop to level the CNC machines.
https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-12-Precision-Machinists-Length/dp/B0002FUO8G?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002FUO8G

dverstra said:

I have that exact level.  Yes, it can report minute deviations in the entire machine so that it can be setup precisely.

I have built and leveled many machines, the thought that using anything but the frame is totally foreign to me.  I don't know why someone would not level the RV and then attach levels that then could report useful information rather than the state of some attachment.  Levels can show twist if installed properly, but that is something that is never considered.

Even if you find a perfectly level slab big enough to park your rig on, it doesn't matter. Springs sag at different rates, tires are not perfectly round, more like egg shaped. Plus variations in construction means that your rig isn't level, plumb, square, or parallel to itself. The best you can do is park it, level it via a spot that you consider important to be level. Then attach levels where you want.

I have a 9" carpenter level I got from Menards for my birthday. It lives on a piece of trim under my fridge next to the entrance door. I set level from side to side, then raise/lower my front jacks to level on a bubble level I mounted on the side of the rv next to the retract/extend switch. I get it close on that level and call it good. I prefer to sleep with my head up slightly and keep the nose of the rig up slightly. When I want to cuddle with the misses, I raise her side of the rv so she rolls in my direction during the night. Shhhh, she hasn't figured that out yet.... lol

It's my understanding that auto-leveling systems set their sensors to the refrigerator.  I use a basic 2 way bubble level set in the frig to level my Class C.  It seems to work well. 

I use a 6" torpedo level on the kitchen counter.  Level front to back, then side to side.
I figure that the stove and the fridge are close to level with each other when installed in the coach.  In my coach the stove pretty much sits on the kitchen counter.  I figure if the kitchen counter is level, the stove is level, the eggs will stay in the center of the pan, and the fridge is probably close enough.

Since we rarely go to the same place twice I don?t worry too much if the spot is not level. I get my unit as level as I can and then have a good time. Our fridge does not seem to care how level we are (Dometic 3 Way). We don?t have slides so that?s not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom