Where is best place to stay at Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chi-Travels

Have a 40' DP and toad and want to spend 7 to 10 days in Yellowstone National Park this summer.  We are flexible with the dates yet most likely between April 25th and May 30th.  Anyone have suggestions on where to stay?  Is it too late to get decent reservations for this summer?

Just outside the park in West yellowstone, Grizzly RV is nice and you would have full hook up there. Then you could explore Yellowstone daily with your toad. I think you could fit a 40' RV in the Madison campground, but no hook ups at all. Many of the campgrounds within the park are too small for a 40' RV, but hopefully others will chime in with additional suggestions.

Have a wonderful trip!

I'll second the recommendation for Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone, MT. We stayed there this past summer, and it is exceptionally nice. But, it's not cheap. We're going back this summer and will be taking the son, DIL, and GS. We're going to stay at Fishing Bridge CG in the park simply to be staying some place different. It's a much tighter fit and all the sites are back-in where you can get a pull-thru at Grizzly. It's just a different atmosphere and depends on what you want.  FB has full hookups and takes reservations. They can accommodate a 40' plus toad. I would imagine you need to try to get reservations now for your time frame.

Confirm what Dance Chicken says about early reservations at Fishing Bridge...I reserved last spot for 1st week of June according lady named Melba.

Chi-Travels said:
Have a 40' DP and toad and want to spend 7 to 10 days in Yellowstone National Park this summer.  We are flexible with the dates yet most likely between April 25th and May 30th.  Anyone have suggestions on where to stay?  Is it too late to get decent reservations for this summer?

With those dates bring cold weather clothing as snow is possible as are freezing temperatures.  This is true into June but it can snow any month in YP and the area.

That early you should be able to get reservations if you act now.  If you stay outside of the park there is more places and easier time making and getting the reservations you want.

Good Luck and enjoy the park!

We are thinking of going to Fishing Bridge this summer and have a 37' Motorhome. We noted that many of the sites say they will fit a 35' RV plus room for a tow vehicle.  Does anyone know if the extra 2' of the MH would fit?  I know that many times the length quoted is the length of the pad, and the overhang of the RV off the back makes fitting in easy.

Anyone have any recent experience there?

We were there in 2008 and I have a 36ft. and front of the motor home was almost on the street. There were big poles at the back of the site so we couldn't use the area behind the pad.

Jim

SargeW said:
...I know that many times the length quoted is the length of the pad, and the overhang of the RV off the back makes fitting in easy...
At least in the section that we stayed in, the sights are backins back to back. There are barriers that prevent you from going back into the adjacent site. Each sight has a separate parking space for the tow vehicle or toad. I would suggest making your reservation by phone and let them assign you a site that your rig will actually fit into.

Thanks for the info, only 35' sites left at this time. We have made arrangements outside the park. Will just make day trips into the park.

Where did you book outside of Yellowstone?Have run into same issue. We have a 39' with a tow.
Thanks

On a similar note, we are headed to Yellowstone in late September, avoid,the summer crush.  Are the park campgrounds still open, or should we plan on day-tripping

The most current information for Yellowstone NP is on their website: http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm
UPDATE: We know the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. Within the website are slideshows of each CG. Here is Fishing Bridge CG to see what others were talking about, size, width, etc. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fishingbridge.htm

Rstrahan said:
On a similar note, we are headed to Yellowstone in late September, avoid,the summer crush.  Are the park campgrounds still open, or should we plan on day-tripping

I don't have the schedules for the closings but you should be able to get them from the YP site.  Generally the park starts closing down for the winter right after Labor day so the campgrounds start also.  Your best bet is probably West Yellowstone campgrounds and then drive into the park daily.

Be aware that snow can and does happen in Sept. and is not unknown earlier like June, July and August as are freezing temperatures.  You are almost 1/2 to the north pole and usually above 7000' in elevation so be prepared. 

We live in Belgrade and will be gone long before you get here but ask and I will try to help with information about the area.

Rstrahan said:

The table in Park's Website shows the planned closing dates for the Park's campgrounds. Looks like Bridge Bay is first on 9/7 followed by Canyon on 9/13 and Indian Creek on 9/14.

We like Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone, MT.  Just outside the west entrance and it is within walking distance of town.  Take the toad in and out of the park for sightseeing.

If you would like to catch both Yellowstone AND Grand Teton National Park, you could stay @ Colter Bay and use that as base camp for both National Parks.

Mike.

Headwaters Lodge and Cabins at Flagg Ranch.  Halfway between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Loved it.

I also vote for Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone.  It is one of my very few favorite commercial campgrounds. Also, they will let you wash your RV right in your spot!  Nice, big clean spots, and West Yellowstone has very good huckleberry ice cream. 

I have a 32' Class C and barely fit into Fishing Bridge.  I cannot imagine something as large as yours fitting in.  Also, the end of one RV overhangs onto the site behind it, so that you will also have a back-end of something hanging over onto the rear of your site.  (The sites alternate) If you try to park a car there, you will have absolutely NO space at all for even putting out a chair to sit on, and certainly no room for a meal outdoors.  And if that isn't enough, many of the sewer outlets are underneath your RV, not next to it as one usually expects.  I saw all sorts of bungled-together setups to hook up to sewer in that campground.  SOme people had gone into the woods and found long sticks to use to prop up their sewer hose, which was hard to do when you had to crawl underneath to hook up.

We are also heading there the end of July and staying at the West Yellowstone KOA.  Anyone try them?  I like it for the fact we have a son and we will taking partial days to relax at the campsite so there is a pool and hot tub (may need that after hiking  ;) 

Back
Top Bottom