Where To Locate a Toll Road Transponder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Being back in Florida and commuting between Titusville and Orlando we use Sun Pass toll roads quite frequently, so just before 01.01.09 I purchased two 'Mini' Sun Pass transponders which cost $4.99 but that back in your toll account, so they are free, also users get 25% off the tolls.

One transponder is for the RV the other for our Jeep.

I activated the Jeep one immediately and the RV one today, during the process the Sun Pass staff member read out a number of 'rules' one being to locate the transponder in the 'correct' place on the front screen of the vehicle.

I said to her," The RV has a very large screen where would you recommend I place it?"

She replied," Good question, hang on sir I will go and ask."

A minute later she returned and said, " We are not sure and suggest you contact the vehicle manufacturer ( Fleetwood  :eek: )  for their advice."

Now I know there are toll roads all over the USA operated by companies other than Sun Pass.

So to those of you who have invested in a toll road transponder, where on your RV  have you located yours?

Mick & Pat said:
Now I know there are toll roads all over the USA operated by companies other than Sun Pass.

So to those of you who have invested in a toll road transponder, where on your RV  have you located yours?

I do not have a Sun Pass but do have an EZPass for New York Toll roads. I mounted mine at the top right corner of the drivers side windshield. We have a Winnebago motor home with large divided windshields.

For the EZPass I was issued two transponders. One is programmed for the motor home plus towed car combination and one is programmed for just the motor home. When we are towing (which is most of the time), I must keep the motor home only transponder in a special plastic bag so that both transponders do not get recorded when we pass through a toll booth. The toll road authority put large labels on each transponder which identifies which is for the motor home/car combination and which is for just the motor home. The instructions said if the windshield is not divided, to mount the transponder in the middle of the windshield and at the top.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Thank you Richard will try your suggestion.  :)

The Sun Pass mini's are NOT powered and can be only install once onto the inside of the screen.

Mick & Pat said:
The Sun Pass mini's are NOT powered and can be only install once onto the inside of the screen.

That is also true for the EZPass. However, they are applied with an extremely heavy duty Velcro and therefore one can be removed and then the other one put in it's place using the same Velcro on the windshield. The directions said that the Velcro cannot be removed from the windshield without destroying it.

Richard

Hi Mick

I found it easier to just pay as we went - often the staff wouldn't notice the toad and we just paid for the RV  ;D  :-[

Of course, with a saving of 25% you can afford to splash out on both the RV and car  ;D

Paul

Paul,

With the Pound to Dollar rate now being $1.36 we need to save every cent  :( :(  Plus it saves us queueing  :D :D

BIG difference from Oct 2007 when it was $2.08 to ?1.  ;D ;D

BIG difference from Oct 2007 when it was $2.08 to ?1

I believe it was myself who suggested that you move as much money as possible into $ as the rate was so good at the time.

Wish I had followed my own advice - would have paid for another trip.  ::)

Paul

For Sun Pass you only need one transponder in the RV.  Sun pass recognizes the distance between the two vehicles and automatically charges you for the toad.  Do not put your toad Sun Pass in the car windshield as you may pay twice.  I learned this from a Sun Pass employee

I have the $4.99 Sunpass in the RV.  I placed it in the middle of the windshield about a foot up from the dash.  It has worked without issue on a couple of trips so far.

gypsy-jim said:
For Sun Pass you only need one transponder in the RV.  Sun pass recognizes the distance between the two vehicles and automatically charges you for the toad.  Do not put your toad Sun Pass in the car windshield as you may pay twice.  I learned this from a Sun Pass employee

Gypsy-jim, Thank you for you advice, the problem is the RV in on a site in Titusville and we frequently drive using the toll road to Orlando. We bought two passes knowing this and I'm informed that if the pass which is stuck on the screen is removed it will not work again.

I will just have to find something like tin foil to put over the Jeeps pass when it is attached to the car  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom